KTM 1190 Adventure Press Launch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I was fortunate enough to be invited for the press launch of the KTM 1190 Adventure today.  Function was held at Kloofzicht lodge, a nice place near Lanseria airport.  Took off from Bfn in the fastest Fortuner at 5 and arrived well in time.  Shared some wisdom with Gavin, Kurt and Clinton, had some coffee until the event started. Most of the main men from the bike magazines are here – the stories will certainly hit the shelves very soon. First part was presentations about KTM and some technical info on the bike.  Only the Adv, not the R – that one is tomorrow.

We then got to ride the bikes on the road.  First impression is that it is a stable, solid and well built machine.  On the road, the power compared to the 990 is like chalk and cheese.  This motor is very willing to rev smoothly right through the rev range.  And it picks up speed quickly.  Handling is easy.  Corners well on the 19 x 3” / 17 x 5” rims.  Rims are designed with centre laced spokes but tubeless.  The Conti Attack tyres (170/60 ZR 17 rear and 120 wide front) stick to the road well, no issues here.  A set of these specially developed tyres will set you back about R 4500.  Same sizes as the new BMW 1200 GS.  

Tank size is 23 litres, and fuel economy is claimed to be better than the 990.  Not too difficult to get that right I suppose.  Although throttle input also has an influence.

Arrived at ADA’s good facilities where we got to feel the different modes with ABS and TC on and off on the skid pad.  ABS not bad on the gravel, but I still prefer it off.  ABS behavior reminds of the Yamaha S10.  Not bad at all.

The next stretch, down the satellite road we were allowed to open the throttle a bit.  This bike is FAST.  As an adventure bike with off-road heritage, it is SERIOUSLY fast.  250 km/h is no issue at all.  It just keeps going until you tap off.  The term: “Full throttle until you see god, then you tap off” makes a lot more sense now.  One will have to develop some respect for this fire breather…..
The only difference between the Adventure and the “R” is the wheel sizes and suspension.  More about the “R” tomorrow.
The electronic suspension adjustment works well, it really just turns the preload and clickers with electronic screwdrivers.  And you can easily change these settings via the computer.  The wires going into the top of the forks look “different”.  Compression damping one side and rebound on the other fork.
Computer operation is via 4 buttons on the left handlebar.  Riding mode can be changed on the fly between Sport, Street, Rain and Off-road.  (Last 2 modes limit power to 100 hp). ABS and traction control can be disabled or set for off-road or road use.  ABS and TC re-activates every time you turn on the ignition.  Tyre pressure monitors work well, did not let them down to see at what point they start complaining.
Front seat is height adjustable, comfortable for the few hours spent on it.  2 piece seat similar to the BMW idea.  The tool kit, which is comprehensive enough, stays under the rear seat.
We only got to ride on the tar,  looking forward to feeling the R in the dusty stuff tomorrow.

Summary:
- Well, solidly built machine by blokes who know how to build a motocycle.
- Sweet revving motor.  It responds to throttle input (through a wire) in a most satisfactory manner…..  Sport mode only if your life insurance and medical aid are up to date.
- It is FAST.  You twist the throttle and it goes.  For ever.
- Brakes well.  Nose dives a bit on hard front braking, no different to any other “forked” bike, but considering the speed you have to shed it brakes very well.
- Feels lighter than a 990R, probably because of the low seating position.  Easy to ride.

If I was the designer I would have made the indicators self cancelling.  Other than that, I think the Austrians did an excellent job.
It is the first bike I ride that I believe is able to compete head-on with the BMW 1200 GS and a salesman will be able to present a case why it is “better”.  It will not kill the BMW market, but I think it may pull a few unsuspecting owners into the dark side….  You will deny yourself the opportunity to make an objective choice in the adventure touring bike segment if you do not look at the KTM as part of your shopping experience.  We are spoilt for choice!