KZN - Five Dam Ride - 20080924

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
A ride that started out with some snags, but ended out great.

I now wish to notify all that I am officially entering the competition for “top reservoir dog”

I am down in KZN for a project and trailered the bike down.

I had arranged to meet a friend I used to ride with during my ten years down here at the Steers at 07:00, and posted a “plan”, but held out no hope that anyone would pitch as there had been no nibbles on the fred.

A few minutes after seven I get a SMS to say that he can’t get his KLR started, but no problem, he is going to jump his girlfriend, or rather jump-start from her car, and he will be there. No problem – I’ll have another coffee, but then a few SMSs and calls and we discover the battery is not flat, but terminally dead and he’s not going to make it.

Now I have a track in my GPS, a full tank, and the weather is seriously nice and I am not going to waste a riding day sulking at the B&B. The plan, although not rigid, was to start at Hazelmere dam, drop into the Mgeni valley, ride a bit and see where we ended up. So at least I’ll visit Hazelmere, which I had never been to, and then see what I feel like doing from there.

So – light the fires. Kick the tyres – Hazelmere, here I come.

Pretty dam. Nestled down low, with a nice clean beach and pleasant amenities and lawns for visitors and well worth the R28 entrance fee.

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924002_post.jpg

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924004_post.jpg

Some PajamaDonkies on the lawn

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924005_post.jpg

But now I have really got into the riding mood and I am not thinking of going home, so I weigh up the options, and although some people have had “problems” in the Valley, I never have, so off I head for the hill overlooking Inanda Dam.

Road starts with a bit of tar, and then onto the gravel. The rains during the week had been just enough to settle the dust, bind the sand, and the roads are like a freeway.

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924006_post.jpg

Stop for a drink and to watch some soccer at the shabeen.

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924007_post.jpg

. . .and up onto one of the most spectacular viewsites I know for solo-cappuccino.

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924008_post.jpg

Now what to do? I am alone. Possibly not a good I idea to venture too far in the Valley, but hey – I am a WD and “ons skrik vir niks” and I have visited two dams, what about a third, so I set the GPS for Nagle and off I go.

This part of the Valley is great. The huts are spaced far from each other, and there are some nice gneiss koppies (try say that pished) 

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924010_pos-1.jpg

Stop to chat up the local ladies and snap a few pics.

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924012_post.jpg

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924013_post.jpg

First view of Nagle Dam and the spectacular table mountain that guards it

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924014_post.jpg

On the way I find a boulder that I think would decorate the garden, but can’t get it into the top-box.
ValleyFiveDamRide20080924016_post.jpg

Couple more shots of Nagle and area.
ValleyFiveDamRide20080924018_post.jpg

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924020_post.jpg

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924021_post.jpg

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924022_post.jpg

By now I am really into the riding, and although the plan was to head up out of the valley at that point, I am not yet “dam’d” out so set a course for Albert Falls – dam number four

Stop on the way at the Amble Inn – a nice place on the Mgeni, just bellw the dam wall.

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924023_post.jpg

After Marico, who is scared of flat-dogs ? Not me.

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924024_post.jpg

Some shots of Albert Falls dam – a huge dam

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924025_post.jpg

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924026_post.jpg

At this stage I was really on a dam roll and decided to take the tally to five with a detour via Midmar on the way home. I would have liked to take the gravel road via Karkloof to Howick, but I was a bit low on fuel, and decided to rather take the tar via Maritzburg and then up the hill to Midmar.

No Midmar I know well. I have swum a mile across the edge for each of the last 21 years, but I have never been there just for a visit when the Midmar Mile is not on, so I decide to see if I can sneak in the back door to avoid the entry fee. I find a chain over the road, but a bit of ditch-riding and I am in.

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924027_post.jpg

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924028_post.jpg

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924029_post.jpg

Ride about a bit and make the compulsory tourist stop at the Howick Falls.

ValleyFiveDamRide20080924030_post.jpg

I was not in the mood for the N3, so took the Comrades Route back to Durban via a pub or two.

I don't think I will ever get tired of the Valley of a thousand hills. I never found the locals anything other than friendly, and it is a happy place. Compared with other tribal areas there seems to be a bit of money about, and evryone seems to be comparatively well fed and clothed - sure it is not milionaires row, but it is not Diepkloof either. 

The track is well worth a ride.

The route

FiveDamRide.jpg

The track I rode as a zipped GPX is attached

Attachments

• ValleyFiveDam20090924.zip
    62.4 KB
Right on my doorstep. PM if you have such urges again please.

husky said:
Right on my doorstep. PM if you have such urges again please.
Pistol said he was going to be in Byrne this weekend, and my friend with the dead KLR battery should be mobile again, so was thinking of visiting Byrne and Draebyrne, and possibly doing the Hela Hela & Qunu falls loop. Keep watching.

An inspiring report Gunda. Sometimes one have difficulty getting your plans off the ground when its going to be a solo ride. Informative too! Thanks :thumleft:

Hey Gunda

That looked like a fab ride. Nice views.... no ladies  >:D but nice views none-the-less... And as for that Solo-Chino , we will have to fix that when you get back.  :ricky:

:thumleft:

Those were some of my old riding grounds as a youngster living in Durban. Thanks for the memory flashbacks  ;).

Solo riding is very rewarding imo, perfect way to do some soul searching and quiet contemplation.

Mark Hardy said:
Solo riding is very rewarding imo, perfect way to do some soul searching and quiet contemplation.

Yup. I think there are a few "rules" to solo riding - especially in the Valley of 1000 hills, and if I may I would like to put down mine for discussion:-

Firstly, ride very conservatively and carefully. The last thing you want to do is injure, or even kill, a child or animal on the roads. On my last visit one of the group, who I will never ride with again, killed a goat because he was going far too fast for the area. To avoid a confrontation he just rode on - probably wisely - but now there is one village that is anti-bike and we don't want that.

Be friendly. I always make a point of waving, or at least dipping my head to each person or group I ride past. A small gesture but seems to work wonders. Great exercise for the neck.

Always ask permission to take a photo that includes people. The Zulus in the valley love being photographed, but I think it is courtesy to ask. I always show them the photos I have taken on the camera's LCD. One of the problems you have is to stop them from posing for the photos, but take a posed pic, and then wait for the "unposed" pic when they are off-guard.

Stop at the shops - even if you are not hungry or thirsty. I sometimes come back with quite a few drink-cans, but I think it makes friends. On the ride I saw a whole bunch of plastic bike and quat riders stopped at a shabeen and I was heartened to see the way they had been welcomed and were "networking" with the locals.

One of the problems you may encounter is drunk men/youths at shabeens who pester you to buy them a drink. I handle this in a few ways. Firstly hand out a few sweets or cookies to the kids. It shows that you are are a good soul and defuses the situation. Secondly become all pious and say that liquor is the "devil's poison" and you abhor the practise. I am an athiest who enjoys a drink, but it works wonders. If these fail and it looks like there may be hostility then I whip out my little hip flask and share the contents and claim I have no money when it is finished.  

Be friendly. Often you will see curiosity about the bike or equipment. You should hear me trying to explain how a GPS works in my seriously bad siZulu - had a mate (who speaks far better siZulu ) killing himself with laughter. What is the siZulu for "pseudorandom code datastream"?

Stop for directions even if you are not lost. You would not believe how the Zulu love guiding people - seems to be in their nature.

Learn the customs if you can. An example. Up in the Greytown area I saw an isivivane - a "luck pile" or cairn of rocks next to the road at an intersection. I stopped, found a rock, touched it to my forehead and added it to the pile. A "madala" next to the road saw me. He asked how I knew the custom and I said that my father, who had grown up in Mtubatuba, taught me. He nearly burst into tears and heaped honour on my late father. I have never seen an isivivane in the valley - wonder if there is one?

Maybe I am just lucky but I have never had a problem in a rural area in South Africa.

Only problems I have ever had are:-
- A rock thrown at me on the R102 (old s-coast road) near Ifafa - It missed.
- Two youths pretending to hold a wire across the road near Wartburg - nearly dropped the bike at 120
- A rock thrown at me on the road fom Katse to Leribe in Lesotho - Missed
- A rock dropped off Musgrave road bridge on the N3 - hit and cracked windshield of cage.

When compared with a few hundred good experiences I will take my chances in the future.  

GundaGunda said:
Mark Hardy said:

Yup. I think there are a few "rules" to solo riding - especially in the Valley of 1000 hills, and if I may I would like to put down mine for discussion:-

Firstly, ride very conservatively and carefully. The last thing you want to do is injure, or even kill, a child or animal on the roads. On my last visit one of the group, who I will never ride with again, killed a goat because he was going far too fast for the area. To avoid a confrontation he just rode on - probably wisely - but now there is one village that is anti-bike and we don't want that.

Be friendly. I always make a point of waving, or at least dipping my head to each person or group I ride past. A small gesture but seems to work wonders. Great exercise for the neck.

Always ask permission to take a photo that includes people. The Zulus in the valley love being photographed, but I think it is courtesy to ask. I always show them the photos I have taken on the camera's LCD. One of the problems you have is to stop them from posing for the photos, but take a posed pic, and then wait for the "unposed" pic when they are off-guard.

Stop at the shops - even if you are not hungry or thirsty. I sometimes come back with quite a few drink-cans, but I think it makes friends. On the ride I saw a whole bunch of plastic bike and quat riders stopped at a shabeen and I was heartened to see the way they had been welcomed and were "networking" with the locals.

One of the problems you may encounter is drunk men/youths at shabeens who pester you to buy them a drink. I handle this in a few ways. Firstly hand out a few sweets or cookies to the kids. It shows that you are are a good soul and defuses the situation. Secondly become all pious and say that liquor is the "devil's poison" and you abhor the practise. I am an athiest who enjoys a drink, but it works wonders. If these fail and it looks like there may be hostility then I whip out my little hip flask and share the contents and claim I have no money when it is finished.   

Be friendly. Often you will see curiosity about the bike or equipment. You should hear me trying to explain how a GPS works in my seriously bad siZulu - had a mate (who speaks far better siZulu ) killing himself with laughter. What is the siZulu for "pseudorandom code datastream"?

Stop for directions even if you are not lost. You would not believe how the Zulu love guiding people - seems to be in their nature.

Learn the customs if you can. An example. Up in the Greytown area I saw an insivivane - a "luck pile" or cairn of rocks next to the road at an intersection. I stopped, found a rock, touched it to my forehead and added it to the pile. A "madala" next to the road saw me. He asked how I knew the custom and I said that my father, who had grown up in Mtubatuba, taught me. He nearly burst into tears and heaped honour on my late father. I have never seen an isivivane in the valley - wonder if there is one?

Maybe I am just lucky but I have never had a problem in a rural area in South Africa.

Only problems I have ever had are:-
- A rock thrown at me on the R102 (old s-coast road) near Ifafa - It missed.
- Two youths pretending to hold a wire across the road near Wartburg - nearly dropped the bike at 120
- A rock thrown at me on the road fom Katse to Leribe in Lesotho - Missed
- A rock dropped off Musgrave road bridge on the N3 - hit and cracked windshield of cage.

When compared with a few hundred good experiences I will take my chances in the future.   

That would have made me furious! You should have tied those two youths to a tree or something

stevh0 said:
GundaGunda said:
Mark Hardy said:

That would have made me furious! You should have tied those two youths to a tree or something

As Crocodile Dundee said, "Naah. Just a couple of kids having fun."

After I got the bike and my old heart rate back under control I looped back to tell them "You really are very naughty boys. You should not scare me like that" (or words to that effect Your Honour ) but they had dissapeared into the sugar cane.

Gunda, I have to agree with what you say when riding out in the rural areas. Damn good advice which most if not all of us practice when out riding. It just takes one or two rides to show disrespect to the community before we start feeling the backlash.

That is enjoyment of solo riding/touring, the inter-action with the ppl of the area that you are riding through.