KZN - Valley of 1k hills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EssBee

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Before I even start writing the report, I must state categorically that this ride almost didn't happen because, by god, we had some very diabolical weather here yesterday afternoon. I would like to know how much rain fell in mm's. My pool was in dire need of topping up, it went from that to overflow in...mmm...say 20 minutes!

Attachments

• 28Feb Pooloverflow1.jpg
    28Feb Pooloverflow1.jpg
    43.2 KB
So....this morning, although looking dodgy we set out, heading inland from Mt. Edgecomb. Gunda Gunda (ride leader), Postbox and me. GG stated that where we fist leave the black stuff there was a steepish descent and was worried that it'd be a bit washed away and rutted from the heavy rain. Well, it wasn't BUT jeepers was it slippery. That was treachorous!

The next few kays on the dirt were treated with some trepidation...and, yes, the mud monster caught GG napping. Now, GG is an ex-mining engineer, having studied something Geology related I would imagine, and I would have thought that Soil Mechanics would be one of the subjects...ok, it was a long time ago....

We headed toward Inanda Dam, taking a small detour to view the Sumsing - Zani Falls. After the rain they were awesome!!! At the damm we climbed up to the hillside overlooking the eastern shore overlooking the wall....Wow, what a view! Here we were treated to the Gunda Gunda mandatory Capuchino....thanks, man, you're a star!

Attachments

• First descent.jpg
    First descent.jpg
    60.2 KB
  • riding on soap1.jpg
    riding on soap1.jpg
    62 KB
  • riding on soap2.jpg
    riding on soap2.jpg
    55.8 KB
  • Mudmonster victim.jpg
    Mudmonster victim.jpg
    65.4 KB
  • MMonster bitemark.jpg
    MMonster bitemark.jpg
    75.5 KB
The &*$#% Falls and the Dam Wall from above, and the top of Inanda mountain looking toward the previously mentioned hilltop. The Mudmonster was snapping at GG's heels again...but it WAS freakin slippery!

Man, that view is awesome, you could actually see the city, ships at sea and even that arch at the new stadium! Check the contrasts in these!

Attachments

• Inanda mtn 1.jpg
    Inanda mtn 1.jpg
    42.6 KB
  • Inanda mtn 2.jpg
    Inanda mtn 2.jpg
    42.4 KB
  • On Inanda mtn.jpg
    On Inanda mtn.jpg
    46.6 KB
  • Inanda Dam East shore.jpg
    Inanda Dam East shore.jpg
    76.9 KB
  • Sumsing Zani Falls.JPG
    Sumsing Zani Falls.JPG
    63.4 KB
On our way to the Nagel Dam....ok, we never got that far. Decided to head back toward Cato Ridge at about 13h00. Had some fun at this causeway just downstream from the Nagel Dam. The road was actually closed! Man, that river was a raging torrent!

The granite face is, according to GG, normally a trickle. Well, this pic doesn't do it justice...it was pretty spectacular. (and we almost baled just before it because of a very daunting looking slippery climb...glad we didn't)

Well after 220kms a hot shower at home very welcome, the last hour or two were starting to get a bit cold and wet. Thanks, again, GG for the nav., Postbox, good to meet you, bud! All in all, a very enjoyable day.

Oh, thanks GG for the very kind way in that you made this trip from Gauteng especially for this ride that I have been harping on for so long! Much appreciated!!! :3some: CustomRV, Noble Steed...pity you guys missed this!

Attachments

• Granite face.jpg
    Granite face.jpg
    62.9 KB
  • closed crossing1.jpg
    closed crossing1.jpg
    50.1 KB
  • Closed crossing 2.jpg
    Closed crossing 2.jpg
    51.5 KB
  • Closed crossing3.jpg
    Closed crossing3.jpg
    69 KB
Thank for starting the "fred" EssBee - great stuff and lekka picks .  ;D  ;D

My show-and-tell on the “epic”

-----------

If I had known the conditions in the Valley in advance I would probably have called off the ride, or at least have planned a different route, but I am pleased I didn’t – in Retrospect it was a great ride and even the constant menacing presence of the mudmonster could not take that away from us.

It is always a pleasure to show riders who have not ridden much in the valley the place.  It has just so much to offer in terms of scenery and many hundreds of kms of rideable roads.

I say rideable, but some roads we met today were barely walkable, let alone rideable and even with two big feet down in the mud at one spot I succumbed to the mudmonster, and I am sure the picture will appear here as I saw cameras in the hands of my laughing companions. That was the only fall of the day and stands testimony to my companion’s skill and my good luck.

I told EssBee and Postbox that if we made the first 800m into the valley down the hill from Ndwedwe it would be fine, but I lied. The mud was far more pervasive than that, and there were many snotty bits, although interspersed with patches of easy gravel.

Anyway, to the picks.

Weather was confused and could not decide what to do – nice rainbow at the start in Durban.

Valley1000_20090301_00.jpg

No pics of the mud at the start from me – too busy trying too keep vertical. First Photo op in theMdloti valley.

Valley1000_20090301_01.jpg

Went to check the water at the ”mphophoma” falls – I have never seen even half as much water, over these falls.

Valley1000_20090301_02.jpg

Valley1000_20090301_03.jpg

Mdloti river in flood – Crazy essbee was keen to try the river crossing !

Valley1000_20090301_04.jpg

Up past the Shembe village and onto Mtabatula.

Valley1000_20090301_05.jpg

Nanda (Matata) mountain – great view.

Valley1000_20090301_06.jpg

Valley1000_20090301_07.jpg

On the way to Nagle dam.

Valley1000_20090301_08.jpg

This view is normally just a trickle wetting the rocks. Today it was a full-on waterfall with the most amazing sound in the valley.

Valley1000_20090301_09.jpg

Valley1000_20090301_10.jpg

We ignored the ”road closed” tape at the ford over the Umgeni river just down from Nagle dam. Nice crossing. I took it a bit fast and nearly lost it at one point. Current was strong.

Valley1000_20090301_11.jpg

Valley1000_20090301_12.jpg

Valley1000_20090301_13.jpg

This guy greeted us like long-lost friends. Told us he was a delivery bike rider and lost all the teeth in the left side of his jaw in a fall without a crash helmet.

Valley1000_20090301_14.jpg

PostBox and I said farewell to Essbee and headed to the Hacienda for a beer. On the way we saw these guys retrieving a bakkie hat had lost it and had tumbled through over 100m of bushes into the valley. Apparently the driver did not even have a scratch. 

Valley1000_20090301_15.jpg

Thanks to EssBee and PostBox - it was great ride -  lets do it again - but a little drier !

That Mud Monster Was on the Prowl from the Start of the Dirt, I mean Clay and Mud slide!!

A few Good Meters after nearly being taken out by a Izuzu bakkie rampaging Up the steep clay slope ,
Gunda decided to have some one-on-one time with the mud monster , and as you can see by The ripped yellow "keep safe at  night pants"  ;D the mud monster won That fight!!!!

Luckly Essbee ,  :imaposer: hosing himself , was there to take a few good pics and help Gunda back onto his STEED!! ;D

Quiet a few good laughs later and Gunda's 100 Meters :eek: of mud behind us we got on our way, And really saw some awesome sights..... some of the best views I have ever seen!!!!
Not to far off the tar we had a stop near the dam for a quick cup from Gunda's Mobile Cappuccino Cafe........was perfect  :thumleft: !!!

The rest of the way was easier riding ,and we even managed to make a stop at the Shabeen, where Gunda got the locals all together while he explained to them on how a GPS (Map book to them) works with the Satellites......It was Classic!!!
What good okes!!  ;D

The two Waterfalls we saw were awesome , the last waterfall or the Trickle was really an Amazing site.

Gunda thanks for the trip and the navigation as well as the Tribal lesson. :thumleft:
Essbee buddy, it was good to meet you mate , nice to have a laugh with you and Gunda. ;D
Thanks Guys it was Awesome, you guys are Legends!!!

we need to do that ride again some time , Maybe on some drier turf for Gunda,
even though that Mud was dam fun!!!! :ricky:

Attachments

• DSC08162.JPG
    DSC08162.JPG
    48.2 KB
  • DSC08160.JPG
    DSC08160.JPG
    41.2 KB
  • DSC08157.JPG
    DSC08157.JPG
    75.1 KB
  • DSC08153.JPG
    DSC08153.JPG
    67.7 KB
  • DSC08158.JPG
    DSC08158.JPG
    66.5 KB
More Pics......

Attachments

• DSC08162.JPG
    DSC08162.JPG
    48.2 KB
  • DSC08163.JPG
    DSC08163.JPG
    74.8 KB
  • DSC08165.JPG
    DSC08165.JPG
    57 KB
  • DSC08169.JPG
    DSC08169.JPG
    53.3 KB
  • DSC08171.JPG
    DSC08171.JPG
    52.1 KB
More Pics.....

Attachments

• DSC08187.JPG
    DSC08187.JPG
    37.8 KB
  • DSC08188.JPG
    DSC08188.JPG
    45.8 KB
  • DSC08184.JPG
    DSC08184.JPG
    61.5 KB
  • DSC08181.JPG
    DSC08181.JPG
    53 KB
  • DSC08177.JPG
    DSC08177.JPG
    45.4 KB
More Pics  :mwink:

Attachments

• DSC08189.JPG
    DSC08189.JPG
    39.5 KB
  • DSC08193.JPG
    DSC08193.JPG
    28.3 KB
  • DSC08198.JPG
    DSC08198.JPG
    32.5 KB
  • DSC08209.JPG
    DSC08209.JPG
    74.4 KB
  • DSC08210.JPG
    DSC08210.JPG
    55.7 KB
:ricky:

Attachments

• DSC08217.JPG
    DSC08217.JPG
    77.5 KB
  • DSC08218.JPG
    DSC08218.JPG
    45.2 KB
  • DSC08225.JPG
    DSC08225.JPG
    66.6 KB
  • DSC08227.JPG
    DSC08227.JPG
    95.5 KB
** ping PostBox and EssBee **

What did you guys do to the old man yesterday ?

This morning :-
My legs were sore.
My back was sore.
My butt was eina.
my neck ws eina.
The gap between my shoulder blades felt like I'd been stuck with a poker.

Must've been a geat ride, but in the ring with the mudmonster, the monster won  ;D  ;D

And EssBee, plz don't tell my client I came to Durban to ride the Valley of 1000 mudmonsters. She thinks I came to attend her seminar tomorrow. 

GG, my lips are sealed, feareth notteth.

Tocadisco...I got the bike with that pipe on...it's a KTM pipe....why?

Awesome guys! RESPECT :)

I was in that area just days before. Missed the heavy rains in KZN and in Jozi.

Lekke one guys!

I didn't do nothing, I got out with the kids and ye'old Rangie and discovered an unused pass up Nwabi mnt.  Would be a challange for the bikes, defenately plastic material only.

I now have quite a few recce trails I want to do in the Umbumbulu area up to Shongweni dam.
Anyone keen for this weekend?  Might be a tad more technical, not sure as these will be some  exploring stuff.

I have GE images and tracks if anyone want to look see.

In any case I propose we discuss this over a few cold ones on Friday, seeing that we getting the riding thing going we should take the next step and try get the drinks GTG going?

CRV.