KZN - Valley of 1k hills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome scenery, but I have to admit I'd probably have bailed given the amount of mud. Kudos for finishing the ride in one piece.

Would have loved to join you, even with the mud, but bit too close to baby time and Tulip would not appreciate me been stuck 3 hours away while she's going off to hospital...

Next time definately. As long as next time not within the next 10 days.

Mud's always more fun when you've got friends to laugh at. And friends to help you pick things up again.

Absolutely beautiful area!

Awesome area, looks like you guys had an awesome time!!
Thanx for sharing & those are some mean pics you guys took.  :ricky:

NS, I was wondering about Tulip.....nothing yet?!?!?!

Some stats on the weather on Saturday preceding the ride. In our area "more than 150mm of rain fell in under an hour". My neighbour told me his rain guage hold 120mm...he'd emptied it and in the next hour or so it collected another circa 70mm.....that is freakin hectic.

Guys....Sani Pass.....when? April?

CRV, have you been 4x4'ing up there in the snow?

Oh...CRV, when do you want to do this exploratory ride. (I need to spend some time in the saddle of the self-propelled bike...but I can be persuaded...)

Looks like a nice ride - brave to go considering the rain we've had. Recovered from sani2c (the 70 something year old Arthur Duncan beat us by 3 minutes. We had a "survival" ride. Some swinish mud at the bottom of the Umkomaas (opposite the 3 silo's Gunda) after 20 minutes of fantastic single track (easy highlight of the ride).

We should plan for Sani. I know the Durban - Richmond - Hela-Hela - Creighton - Himeville route. Almost all gravel road after 10km or so outside Richmond.

husky said:
Looks like a nice ride - brave to go considering the rain we've had. Recovered from sani2c (the 70 something year old Arthur Duncan beat us by 3 minutes. We had a "survival" ride. Some swinish mud at the bottom of the Umkomaas (opposite the 3 silo's Gunda) after 20 minutes of fantastic single track (easy highlight of the ride).

We should plan for Sani. I know the Durban - Richmond - Hela-Hela - Creighton - Himeville route. Almost all gravel road after 10km or so outside Richmond.

Well don on the Sani2c - sounds like hard work.

Wonder if my farming cousins did okay ?

Husky, I was thinking of you guys in that horrible weather. On Saturday afternoon I still said to my wife, 'think about those poor okes who have to sleep in sodden tents tonight in this k@k weather!' Anyway....I'll be there next year!!!!

Why not set a tentative date for Sani? From my side, please not Easter weekend, it's the UCI World Cup Downhill in 'Maritzburg. Better also bounce this off Noble Steed, I know he's also keen. Are we going to do it as a day trip? I don't mind leaving at sparrows for a super early start. What sayeth you?

EssBee said:
CRV, have you been 4x4'ing up there in the snow?

Oh...CRV, when do you want to do this exploratory ride. (I need to spend some time in the saddle of the self-propelled bike...but I can be persuaded...)

Hey EssBee,

Have never been up Sani in the snow, have chains and ready when you are!

I will be doing a recce ride on this Sunday, exact route and how far not yet decided. If you're keen we can meet up and decide where, how far, how much and how dirty  :ricky:

Rooikop!  You got sore-ass after last week or are you scared  ::)

I'll start a ride plan thread.

CRV.

Malibu said:
Lekker RR guys, that mud looks like a lot of heart wrenching fun!   :thumleft:

I must admit I was concerned, as the nav-man, as to what I had got my fellow dogs into. After dropping down a Km of mud into the Mdloti valley we were committed to go on, as there was no way we could have got back up the hill - that was a scary thought I did not share with EssBee and PostBox. Luckily the mud turned to rideable wet gravel.

I like the pic of my impromtu GPS tech day at the shabeen. Started with a "Ini lo?" and ended with a demo to about six.  ;D