Langebaan to Jacobsbay 18 July 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bus

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
So went up to Langebaan the past weekend. Wanted to do a lekker ride on Saturday.

Thanks to all the guys who came up with ideas of routes to do. I had my mind set on doing the road from Jacobsbay to Trekoskraal.

My mate went along with his X-Ch. We stayed in Calypso Beach. So went across the road and played a bit in a type of quarry.

Lekker sandy climbs and little single track trails. (Forgot camera, so cellphone had to do  :()

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00923.jpg

Then we went to Mykonos to check some Gymkana racing. Didn’t take any pics, but blixem, there are some loonies involved with that sport…

Anyways, then as we left Mykonos, en route to Saldanha, I saw some little sandy trails all over. So we decided to head down one of them and discovered a multitude of tracks, consisting of sand, gravel, rocks, mud… The whole works. It continues all the way back to Mykonos and right up to the dunes next to the ocean. We spent quite a bit of time here and did a few loops. It actually looks like development area… Very lekker…

Then on to Saldanha for fuel and through Diazville straight to the ocean.
DSC00924.jpg

Eat your hearts out, Vaalies…
DSC00925.jpg

From the Diazville Beach, there is a dirt road that runs all the way to Jacobsbay. We got on it and followed it a little way and then jumped off on a track that leads over the “dunes” towards the ocean. Beautiful area, just a pity that some people use it as a dump… All sorts of rubble and garbage lying around in heaps. Very sad to see.  :mad: But when we came over the crest, it was all forgotten. In front of us was just open ocean and sandy tracks/trails as far as you can see.

So down we went and headed towards Jacobsbay. There was no more “beach”, just rocks and the little trails that lead you almost right to the water’s edge.
DSC00926.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

DSC00928.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

This truly is a beautiful area and the options are endless as these trails are like a maze and snake to & fro and join and split all the way to Jacobsbay.

We probably spent 2 hours on this stretch just exploring and taking every fork we could find. Apparently this is also a very popular surfing spot?

Eventually we reached Jacobs
DSC00930.jpg

And also saw that moerse barge thing that ran onto the rocks a while ago. I knew about it, I just didn’t know that it was in Jacobsbay!!!
What a F-up!!! Does anyone know the latest on this thing?
DSC00931.jpg

Then on to the local for a well deserved drink.
DSC00933.jpg

DSC00934.jpg

It was getting late and I was not too sure if we would make the trip to Trekoskraal in time. So we just went looking for the start of the road. Couldn’t find it, (No GPS), and ended up on a guy’s farm to ask him for directions/info. He was not impressed by our presence at all and was quick to point out that we were trespassing on his property. What a dwis… I even left my bike at his gate and walked up to his house. Anyways, we decided to give it a rest and rode back the way we came.

Funny thing is that we didn’t even ride the same tracks that we came with. I thought we rode all of them. So a lot of time can be spent in this little stretch, just playing and exploring.

On the way back I followed a sandy track towards some dunes. There were 4x4 and bike tracks all over, but I wasn’t sure if we were allowed to be there. Anyways, did a U-turn and headed back towards Diazville. I see now on Google Urf that it’s a sand mine/4x4 playground? It’s the area in the background here…
DSC00935.jpg

Rode back to Langebaan and stayed next to the beach as long as we could. Really beautiful part of the West coast this.

A little later we were treated to this incredible sunset…
DSC00936.jpg

I will def be back there soon, but this time with a GPS…

I really need to do that Trekoskraal road…  :drif: