Lemon & Herb Maraisburg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herminator

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
So I decided to take a ride to Maraisburg.
Went in there by the new developments just after the first dune.
And took an easy ride.

Lots of fun travelling at my own pace, and a lot easier not having that first
dune take a bite out of your confidence before you even start.
I know the area is dangerous
but I reckon its fairly safe if you go on a Saturday or Sunday when there
is a shit load of plastic bikes about

I am going to take the GPS along next time and plot a super n00b
trail that does not have sand(Well a little bit) that will take about 2 hours to complete
It is something I wish I had in the beginning just to give the technical stuff some practice

Herminator, what a great idea.
I hear a lot about this Maraisburg area but has never been there.

Then I can use your route and visit it as well.

Digging around for a way to tackle the Maraisburg area on my own and I came across your post. I live in Roodepoort so this is almost on my doorstep. Been riding the Magalies area's gravel roads but want to try this out. Don't have riding maatjies (sniff..!) so can you maybe give me some tips on how to get there etc?

Do NOT do this ride alone

My bike is just prepped for a long ride,so not going to take it through that dust
but will post the route

What is wrong with riding there alone? Haven't been there for a year or two, but used to ride there alone often going to Randfontein and back. Never felt any threat.

I'll go for a ride there on the weekend to see how it looks.

Nothing wrong with riding alone until you fall off and need help .................. there's no threat from the locals. They're pretty friendly as long as you don't ride like a d--s.

Good idea missing the first dune if you're new to DS riding, it could tire you out quickly, making the rest of the ride not as pleasant.

you will find that phot,s are great taken of your ride and shared

other thing be very careful riding alone

Keen on that n00b route; I have a few friends who haven't had their bikes very long and I'd like to take there.

Lost the Garmin file, still looking for it