Lesotho: Seshote to Chiefs Rd & other tidbits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianhogg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Lesotho:  Seshote to Chiefs Rd & other tidbits

I have just come back from a three day trip to Lesotho. Some things I found out for the first time and some things are changing. Only the names have been omitted to protect the guilty. I will attach a GPS file of the stuff I mention. (Planning in gray, actual riding in Blue. Some boring stuff omitted)

Seshote to Chiefs Rd.

The AA map marks this as a known road. The man who organized this trip claims to have done it already. Both I think are in the realms of what I would call a “factoid.” A brief look at Google Earth shows you there is quite a saddle to cross. The pictures below are a profile of the ridge and an overview map. Paths I have been on are in blue and the ridge is in red.  The guys on the 800’s took one look at it and said “no,” an even more empathic “no” than having a go at Rampai’s pass.  I was quite relieved. It looks more like a 250 and a bit of time to spend hill than a 650 hill.

Attachments

• 20141005SaddleProfileHaJanki.JPG
    20141005SaddleProfileHaJanki.JPG
    95.6 KB
  • 20141004tracksChiefsRd.JPG
    20141004tracksChiefsRd.JPG
    195.6 KB
Kao mines road.

Described by T4A as rocky and slow. Try perfectly graded and in tip top condition. My mother would be quite happy there with her little Citroen. Don’t let that put you off, still an interesting drive.

New tar road Ramabanta Semonkong A4.

If this doesn’t get voted as the ultimate superbike alpine ride in the World quite soon then there is something seriously wrong. You can even stop and look at the view! As my bike-stripping mate said, they will, to try and find out where their mate landed. Expect lots of cheap roadside superbike spares. I had to slap myself occasionally to remind myself I was on the cheapest pair of knobblies they had in the shop.  It also completely changes the time equation. From Ramabanta, coming down Ongeluksnek including collecting a couple of 800’s which had been thrown away we were in Matatiele for morning coffee. I was home in Durban in a tad over 6 hours riding time! If you are practicing for the roof (and thousands are already) this may be the quicker way through Quacha’s Nek than going round Clarens.  

New Dam

Last time I went through I noticed they were making a high level bridge at the causeway over the Orange. This is not because they are into Bungee jumping; this is the level of new monstrous dam which will make Katse look like a puddle.  When they start there will be no more accommodation at Katse lodge for 15 years.

Border Control

You can cross the Caledon from Clarens at Hendricks drift. If you do, take the first crossing I demo’d rather than the 2nd . 20 minutes into the ride and on a crisp cold morning the first 800 rider decided that his bike needed a wash there. And himself. And his cellphones. And his bag of clothes. The other one came close to repeating the trick!  We were worried that not getting a stamp in our passport would be a problem but when we came out at Ongeluksnek the border post was as deserted as a school house in the summer holidays.  

Attachments

• 20141004editLesotho.gdb
    120 KB
Quickest way from Ramabanta to PMB or Durban. I have just been told by Lucio Santoro that if you are towing a bike it is still quicker through Clarens. The ups and downs slow a car/truck up too much.

I've found I have a reasonable picture of the ridge from Ha Janki. The path comes over the top at the arrow. The two ladies in the picture were very pleased to see us. By the time I had put my camera away one had got her blanket off and was starting on the rest of her clothes. They must have thought we were Germans. 

Attachments

• 20141005RidgeFromHaJanki.jpg
    20141005RidgeFromHaJanki.jpg
    132.9 KB