Lesson Learnt: Using of brakes on steep downhills

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Excalibur

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
During our recent trip to Angola, I learnt an expensive lesson while using breaks on 1 very steep downhill.

On the downhill ride into Binga Bay, the decent was really steep. Bikes were heavy, fatigue was setting in. I dropped my bike on 2 occasions, damaged her badly. After a re-thought I determined what my mistake was on the 2 occasions.

I ride with the ABS on permanently. This will certainly prevent you from stalling the bike, if you use the front brake. The mistake I made on this spesific occasion, I was tired and not thinking. First mistake, standing when going down. If you sit, you could use your legs for balance. Second and biggest mistake, I used the back brake while standing, stalled my bike and went down very hard. With the ABS and rather using the front brake, your braking distribution is 60% front and 40% back and not just on the back. Chances of stalling is less and feel much better. I am the only one to blame for my own bikes damage.

Would appreciate your comments please.