Living the Dream Solo Around the World Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
schalk vd merwe said:
On my way to Cape Agulhas to meet the CT WD's
Was baie lekker om oom te kon ontmoed en n paar nuwe WD friende te maak, was ook lekker om saam te ry. Net jammer tyd vlieg so vinnig...hoop om weer eendag so te maak :thumleft:

Kawaki said:
schalk vd merwe said:
On my way to Cape Agulhas to meet the CT WD's
Was baie lekker om oom te kon ontmoed en n paar nuwe WD friende te maak, was ook lekker om saam te ry. Net jammer tyd vlieg so vinnig...hoop om weer eendag so te maak :thumleft:
Dankie vir al die pad ry om my te ontmoet, ek waardeer dit groete

Casting from Turd said:
schalk vd merwe said:
Casting from Turd said:
schalk vd merwe said:
Coxwain said:
schalk vd merwe said:
Route for Sunday to Cape Agulhas- leave Mossel Bay at 8am go past Swellendam and turn off towards Bredasdorp and be at Cape Agulhas at 12pm. Leave Cape Agulhas at 12.30pm and pass through Bredasdorp, Napier, Stanford, Hemanus, Kleinmond to Gordens Bay and on to Strand. Will stop somewhere after Cape Agulhas for lunch.

Honoured to be riding with you Schalk ...easy on the lunch...we have a big braai planned for Sunday  :biggrin:  
Thanks Coxwain for all the effort you are putting in. I also never thought that some one would ride 400km to come and meet me, you Cape Town guys are special and I am honoured to ride with you guys.

If you coming past Addo sometime, pull in here.
Casting from Turd said:
schalk vd merwe said:
Coxwain said:
schalk vd merwe said:
Route for Sunday to Cape Agulhas- leave Mossel Bay at 8am go past Swellendam and turn off towards Bredasdorp and be at Cape Agulhas at 12pm. Leave Cape Agulhas at 12.30pm and pass through Bredasdorp, Napier, Stanford, Hemanus, Kleinmond to Gordens Bay and on to Strand. Will stop somewhere after Cape Agulhas for lunch.

Honoured to be riding with you Schalk ...easy on the lunch...we have a big braai planned for Sunday  :biggrin:   
Thanks Coxwain for all the effort you are putting in. I also never thought that some one would ride 400km to come and meet me, you Cape Town guys are special and I am honoured to ride with you guys.

If you coming past Addo sometime, pull in here.

We cracking the first keg of our new micro brewery on Friday  :thumleft:
We cracking the first keg of our new micro brewery on Friday  :thumleft:
I am planning my route from Cape Town to Johannesburg and might take you up on your offer. Sofar I am going to sleep over at Dorsland on his farm between Graaff-Reinet and Middleburg and I also have to pass Mosselbay again

Nou Ja

Nothing stopping you from coming here either
Hi John thanks very much for putting me up for the night, I really enjoyed the evening

Dorsland said:
Sien baie uit om jou te sien en lekker te kuier Schalk. Jy is seker al moeg vertel maar spaar darem nog so een vertelling vir ons asseblief :)
Hi Johan en Christa, baie dankie vir die lekker kuier daar op julle plaas, dit was nou sommer baie lekker

Moes jy ook jou eie vuurmaakhout gaan kap...want dit is wat ek moet doen as ek daar gaan kuier.

En my eie visse vang :peepwall: :imaposer:

woody1 said:
Moes jy ook jou eie vuurmaakhout gaan kap...want dit is wat ek moet doen as ek daar gaan kuier.

En my eie visse vang :peepwall: :imaposer:
Nee my maat Johan het alles gedoen. Ek het seker 'n bietjie meer invloed

Hey Schalk, lekker meeting you along the way with your travels

Are you home yet and did that moeg ketang of yours finish the trip?

McSack said:
Hey Schalk, lekker meeting you along the way with your travels

Are you home yet and did that moeg ketang of yours finish the trip?
Hi McSack, yes my chain just made it, first one was the coming off of the chain at George Airport and then I had to adjust it 3 times again to CPT and back to JHB. The rear sprocket had done about 38 000km by now and I will have to replace the whole lot now including the clutch cable which I repaired twice and some other wear and tear items.

Glad to see both you okes are safe back home!!!! Thanx for the kuier, was lekker seeing both of you!!!

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hotwire said:
Glad to see both you okes are safe back home!!!! Thanx for the kuier, was lekker seeing both of you!!!

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk
Hi Hotwire thanks for the kuier at John's place sorry I was still asleep when you guys left. Ja home at last after 33 000km ride.

jupiter said:
Jy ry hier by my voordeur verby en sê my nie.
Hi Jupiter nee ek het oor Steytlerville Addo toe gery en toe na ou Dorsland se plaas ander kant Graaf Reinet toe. Ek sal nooit deur PE ry sonder om jou te groet nie. Ek het jou gemis by die bash. Groete.

15/10/2015 Update
My last update was on the 12/08/15 although I did type another update and after two hours my diary touched the key board on two keys and wiped out my whole effort and saved it to zero.

Leaving Egypt
I had two day to kill in Aswan as I was waiting for my Sudanese Visa so I took a sail boat ride around the Aswan Island. The skipper also took me to the village where he grew up. We had a cold drink there and then continued our trip around the Island and I must say the skipper and his mate was really good in handling  the boat in and out of little harbours.
On 13/08/15 I got up at 2-30am in Aswan in Egypt next to the Nile river in order to do the border crossing that day into Sudan. I had to be at the centre of town before 4am as the Army convoy was going to leave through the desert for Abu Simbel where I would catch the ferry across the Nile and then there is another 30 km of riding on the other side to the border. I arrived in the middle of town with a horde of army personnel 3-30 am in the morning. The Croatian hostage was executed the previous day by the rebels in the desert and I thought that was the reason for all the commotion. I drove around a circle to the place where Camel showed me the previous day where the convoy would leave from and as I past the circle I heard some shouting but did not take much notice as the Egyptians are a bit rowdy at times. When I got to the spot where he showed me there were nobody and I continued just to end up in a road block. They were actually looking for me as according to them I went through the previous road block at the circle without stopping. They took my passport and were on the radio to somewhere as usual. Another soldier wanted to know where I was going and I told him I was looking for the convoy to Abu Simbel to catch the ferry. After more questions they directed me back to the circle where the convoy are actually leaving from. I was told which vehicle to follow and sharp at 4 am the convoy left as it was still dark. They did a nice speed and there were lots of busses and I was the only bike with all my baggage and the army always treated me as a suspected suicide bomber although most times with respect. It started to get light half way through and by 7-15 am we were in Abu Simbel. Kamel the guy who was going to help get me across the Egyptian border was waiting for me at a coffee shop and was busy sucking on his hubbly bubbly with coals at the bottom. He got us a ferry at 8 am and by 9-15 we were on the other side. He had some other guest as well who I think was fleeing from Libya. Camel was driving their  double cab pickup and for the 30 km to the border through the desert we had a bit of a dice and I reached speeds of up to 148KMH, the highest of the trip and even with all my heavy and large luggage. My Visa and Carnet stamp expired 4 days prior and I left it to Camel to sort out. Before leaving I had to put all my gear through their x-ray machine the same as when I entered the country. While busy doing this a young Egyptian border official started to shout at me. I then showed him my passport and ask him how old does he think I am? I then said to him does he shout like that at his father as well, he then apologist to me.

Children riding a donkey outside my hotel with my bike in the same photo

Attachments

• SAM_1054.jpg
    SAM_1054.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 454

Latest posts