Living the Dream Solo Around the World Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crocodile Camp

Attachments

• SAM_1318.jpg
    SAM_1318.jpg
    217.7 KB
Great update Schalk! The Boab tree portion sounds amazing.

The photocopied driver's is a great tip for a hairy situation!

I just came back this week from my own little trip into Namibia, I'm following again  :biggrin:

BTW I don't SEE any crocs  ??? You could've tried swimming  ;D

That entrepreneurial lady might have sold off every last one of them  :dousing:

LukasB9 said:
BTW I don't SEE any crocs  ??? You could've tried swimming  ;D

That entrepreneurial lady might have sold off every last one of them  :dousing:
Yes I am sure she will sell the skins to make extra money but there are Crocs in the river

Just starting to follow your trip properly.Just write it as it comes naturally.Keep it coming thanks.

Ride safe

Mense maar ek is jammer ek lees nou eers die RR raak , jissie oom is n legend , ry lekker saam dankie vir die deel , hoop ek sal die vooreg he om al die stories om n vuurtjie eendag te hoor , wel gedaan oom  :deal: :thumleft:

I think it's just the seasonal thing - it is very quiet in the Ride Reports section right now. I guess Roof of Africa is coming and people are also trying to wrap up things at work before holidays, so not much traffic here right now - not just your thread, but in general - you can see 3-4 active threads where there is a comment from somebody on each specific day, and there are also much less ride reports - compared to lets say may/june, when people are wrapping up riding season. I feel for you, it is frustrating putting quite a bit of effort into a report, and not getting any feedback. Look at it this way -  your thread has over 25000 views, which is a best record for a long time - so I don't think you need to worry too much.

I for one do appreciate your updates. I have to say though, that similarly to Hillman, Uganda was my favourite country with the best vibe (much better than Rwanda or Kenya). At the same time I fully agree with you that it is the one country where people seem to actively seek to kill you on the road - not sure why. My experience was different probably because I used very rarely main roads, and stuck to the boonies, where there was almost no traffic. And I spent over month there so had more time to really enjoy it. If you would have been able to spent time there, rather than just ride through on the main highway, I think you would also come to appreciate it more.

I guess your experience highlights how different ridding through Africa can be if you approach it differently. If you take your time and venture off the main roads, the experience is very different than when you ride relatively fast straight up/down and stick to the main roads. In the second case you have to deal way too often with officialdom like border crossings or police checks, while in the first I rarely registered them - I haven't paid single fine (and bribe) through my whole trip through Africa, and I wasn't sticking to the speed limits at all. As you mentioned yourself - those guys on XR125 had probably enjoyed the ride properly.

But I understand that your objective is different - ride around the world, and the time is scarce. I don't have that ambition - I've done a bit of travelling and in my experience only South East Asia comes close to Africa, so I'm content to limit my riding here.

Xpat said:
I think it's just the seasonal thing - it is very quiet in the Ride Reports section right now. I guess Roof of Africa is coming and people are also trying to wrap up things at work before holidays, so not much traffic here right now - not just your thread, but in general - you can see 3-4 active threads where there is a comment from somebody on each specific day, and there are also much less ride reports - compared to lets say may/june, when people are wrapping up riding season. I feel for you, it is frustrating putting quite a bit of effort into a report, and not getting any feedback. Look at it this way -  your thread has over 25000 views, which is a best record for a long time - so I don't think you need to worry too much.

I for one do appreciate your updates. I have to say though, that similarly to Hillman, Uganda was my favourite country with the best vibe (much better than Rwanda or Kenya). At the same time I fully agree with you that it is the one country where people seem to actively seek to kill you on the road - not sure why. My experience was different probably because I used very rarely main roads, and stuck to the boonies, where there was almost no traffic. And I spent over month there so had more time to really enjoy it. If you would have been able to spent time there, rather than just ride through on the main highway, I think you would also come to appreciate it more.

I guess your experience highlights how different ridding through Africa can be if you approach it differently. If you take your time and venture off the main roads, the experience is very different than when you ride relatively fast straight up/down and stick to the main roads. In the second case you have to deal way too often with officialdom like border crossings or police checks, while in the first I rarely registered them - I haven't paid single fine (and bribe) through my whole trip through Africa, and I wasn't sticking to the speed limits at all. As you mentioned yourself - those guys on XR125 had probably enjoyed the ride properly.

But I understand that your objective is different - ride around the world, and the time is scarce. I don't have that ambition - I've done a bit of travelling and in my experience only South East Asia comes close to Africa, so I'm content to limit my riding here.
Hi Xpat I think you have summed up my feelings and things in those countries very well. I admit I have traveled through some countries in a relatively short time but as I said before I am 65 years old and still want to travel around the world so I got to have a bit of a sense of urgency. I would have loved to have spent more time in many of the countries that I have traveled through like Uganda. There are many countries that I would like to go back to once I have been around the world. I have been talking to the Zapp family who have been traveling around the world for 15 years and even they admit that the world is too big you can not see everything. Thanks for your input, you are also an experienced traveler.

Dutchman81 said:
Mense maar ek is jammer ek lees nou eers die RR raak , jissie oom is n legend , ry lekker saam dankie vir die deel , hoop ek sal die vooreg he om al die stories om n vuurtjie eendag te hoor , wel gedaan oom  :deal: :thumleft:
Jy is welkom my maat. Die idee van om 'n vuurtjie sit is nie ontmoontlik nie. Ek gaan nou eers my boek uit bring en dan deur die land bemark op bike saam trekke en rallies ens. voordat ek weer die pad vat. So dalk sit ons nog saam om 'n vuurtjie. Groete

Ian in Great Brak River said:
Gooi Schalk, gooi, it's just the drama from the new AT launch keeping the guys quiet.

8)
Hi Ian are you back to that country where the sun always shine. Are you going home over Christmas, I am thinking of bringing my bike down to GB in December. Please let me know maybe we can have a couple of cold ones and a ride or two together. Regards