Living the Dream Solo Around the World Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems that a different mind set is required regarding one's own safety....

Especially when I read that you respect what each country offered you... but still you had an epic experience!

Thank you for your time sharing your trip  :thumleft:

Hallo Oom Schalk, baie dankie vir die deel van die RR en sien baie uit na wat nog volg. Ek het Vrydagaand eers begin lees en gisteraand kla gemaak. Ek le nou en wonder, wat is die beste fiets om te gebruik in Africa vir so trip. Ek bedoel nou vir parte en so. Ek weet baie mense sal se gebruik hierdie brand want jy gaan nie probleme he op die pad nie. Maar wat ek bedoel, soos ek gelees het, het oom altyd by KTM gestop vir olie en so. Is hulle dan redelik volop beskikbaar in Afrika? Is daar redelik ander handelaars ook beskikbaar as mens probleme het of sal mens alles maar moet stuur met die oog op parte. Ek lees graag verder en weereens dankie.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Bookmark for later, looking forward to reading this

Probie said:
Hallo Oom Schalk, baie dankie vir die deel van die RR en sien baie uit na wat nog volg. Ek het Vrydagaand eers begin lees en gisteraand kla gemaak. Ek le nou en wonder, wat is die beste fiets om te gebruik in Africa vir so trip. Ek bedoel nou vir parte en so. Ek weet baie mense sal se gebruik hierdie brand want jy gaan nie probleme he op die pad nie. Maar wat ek bedoel, soos ek gelees het, het oom altyd by KTM gestop vir olie en so. Is hulle dan redelik volop beskikbaar in Afrika? Is daar redelik ander handelaars ook beskikbaar as mens probleme het of sal mens alles maar moet stuur met die oog op parte. Ek lees graag verder en weereens dankie.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Ek sal sê enige 650 bike vir Afrika. KTM in Nairobi is die enigste dealer in die hele Afrika wat redelik parte gehad het vir hul fietse. Yamaha Nairobi verkoop net 125 cc en 200 cc bikes. Enige parte wat jy benodig moet van SA af ge courier word. Alhoewel dit duur is vat DHL net 4 dae na enige redelike stad in Afrika. Ek het 'n hele manuel met part nommers op my laptop en op 'n memory stick gehad ingeval my laptop op pak. Gelukig het ek amper geen parte nodig gehad nie. Ek het net 'n clutch kabel gebreek en dit toe tydelik reg gemaak in Addis Abeba en dit is nog steeds so op my bike. Die enigste parte wat my vrou gestuur het was toe olie seëls vir die voorste vurke en bande. Omdat ek nie geweet het ek gaan weer deur Afrika ry nie het ek met die afkom toe einlik 'n olie filter en 'n air filter gekort en toe maar besluit om die bike so te ry en net die olie in Nairobi Kenia om geruil.

Hillman said:
Wow Schalk i love Uganda so much, my ecperience was rather different. People were very friendly and kind to us and I have golden memories especially in Entebbe around lake Victoria.

However......we were there and in the drc sometimes also on picky picky's☺ and following the side tracks etc. The first thing the locals told me was that the size of the vehicle get the right of way.....in other words the biggest has right of way and the same goes for the Drc and South Sudan. I do agree x 10 that it can be nerve wrecking but I tend to follow Michnus and his wifes advice to stay off the main roads and take it slow traveling mostly through the rural areas and small villages.

It has been years since I have traveled through Uganda but other than the traffic also found it expensive. I don't know if they are still all that expensive though?

Looking forward ro read what you have to share about Ruwanda.

Cheers mater

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk
Hi Hillman I don't mind if someone is ugly to me here or there but if they try and put your life in danger one after the other then I get pist off a bit. I also had a fantastic time at the Nile river lodge and I also met some very nice people in Uganda. I could have traveled on that narrow piece of road where the picky pick's ride but if you ride at 110kmh it is a bit of a problem as you have to go on the road in any way to overtake them. I would have loved to have traveled the back roads but I was on a bit of a mission to get home as I lost three and a half weeks just to try and get out of Egypt and I lost three days while waiting for my Sudan Visa. Michnus and Elsaby was in the fantastic position to travel Africa over a 4 year period and that is the ideal way to do it. Because of my age and the fact that I still want to get around the world I got to have a bit of a sense of urgency. All the best my mate.

HB 9 said:
It seems that a different mind set is required regarding one's own safety....

Especially when I read that you respect what each country offered you... but still you had an epic experience!

Thank you for your time sharing your trip  :thumleft:
Yes you own safety is paramount, even if you just fracture an arm or a leg then your trip is over. Every country is special. People all the time ask me which country was the best but every country has its diamonds and yes I had a ball but it is not over yet only the beginning.

LukasB9 said:
:-\ sorry to hear how bikes get treated up there, good thing that you keep your awareness

I've read some other African ride reports coming down on the west coast of Africa but can't remember if they mentioned it.

Have you ever had it happen in SA? I know there's always the odd a-hole on the road but not that frequent, right?

:biggrin: ride on  :ricky: !
Only had it once in SA when a guy on a gravel road came on my side of the road on the way to Sani pass. I spent the next 6 weeks on crutches after that. Maybe that is why I hate it so much when they do that.

Rwanda

Leaving Uganda through the border was no problem. Then it was the Rwandan side.  I was under the impression that no Visa was required but they told me it was 50 US $ and no other currency not even their own. I still had 40 US $ left which I exchanged in Aswan in Egypt and they told me I can get a further 10 US $ from a bank in the same grounds there. I used my credit card for that purpose and then went back to the customs office again. I gave them the 40 US $ from Egypt plus the 10 US $ from the bank and they put it through a machine. Although the money had some water marks in it looked like fraudulent money. I must say when I got it in Egypt from the money exchanged company I also told the guy there that it look bit odd as the colour of the notes were a bit of a different colour. I then told the guy in the custom office that I got the money from a proper official money ex changer in Egypt. He must have looked at the different notes for about 5 minutes and then disappeared in the office behind him to get approval from someone there as well and when he came back he stamped my passport. Outside the customs office was the photos of 5 of the previous government officials that was responsible for the genocide and that has fled the country. The reward was a whopping 5000 000 US $ should you be able to hand one of these guys over to the government. I ask them if I could take a photo of the poster to which they had no objection. You never know traveling through Africa I might just see one of them and with that amount of money I could drive around the world nonstop.

Then it was off toward Kigali the Capital of Rwanda. The first impressions of the country were that this is not just your normal African country. The roads were beautiful and everything was clean. Not even a piece of paper. Plastic bags are banned in this country. The fields were beautiful cared for.  Drivers kept to the rule of the road and not one tried to run me off the road like in Uganda. The people were neat and friendly and this is the country that had a genocide when we had our elections in South Africa in 1994. Every couple of kilometres you would see a board with a sign that says genocide memorial site so the killing must have been rife in this area.

I reach Kigali at about midday and stopped in the city centre to look for accommodation on my GPS. As I was busy doing that a guy walked up to me and asked me if I was sorted. I notice his accent and I asked him if he was from South Africa. He confirmed that and I introduced myself. His name was Nick. When he saw my Wilddog sticker he said he wanted to introduce me to his boss Brent who is also a Wilddog forum member. He then went across the road to the new high rise building that they were busy to work on. Brent then came out and introduced himself and all his workers then wanted to pose for a photo with me. He in turn then said that they want to introduce me to yet another Wilddog forum member a guy by the name of Philip Opperman “fingers” on the forum. What a small world. They then phoned him and as it was Saturday he was busy doing shopping just 2 blocks away. Accommodation was arranged with him and I followed Nick on his bike to the shopping centre where Philip was.  I was introduced to him and then followed him home behind his bakkie. Philip had his son there from South Africa and we had a nice braai there that afternoon.

The next morning early I was off to the Kigali Genocide Memorial about 5 kilometres from Philips house. Entrance is free but you have to pay if you want to take photos inside the building. The mood inside is somber. Many of the bones of the Tutsis who was murdered are buried in the garden around the building. Inside are some bones and skeletons in a glass cupboard. As you walk along through the passages with the history exhibited on the side you get a picture of what happened during the genocide.  I hereby include an article which was written by the United Human Rights Council.

Genocide in Rwanda

In 1994, Rwanda’s population of seven million was composed of three ethnic groups: Hutu (approximately 85%), Tutsi (14%) and Twa (1%). In the early 1990s, Hutu extremists within Rwanda’s political elite blamed the entire Tutsi minority population for the country’s increasing social, economic, and political pressures. Tutsi civilians were also accused of supporting a Tutsi-dominated rebel group, the Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF). Through the use of propaganda and constant political maneuvering, Habyarimana, who was the president at the time, and his group increased divisions between Hutu and Tutsi by the end of 1992. The Hutu remembered past years of oppressive Tutsi rule, and many of them not only resented but also feared the minority.

On April 6, 1994, a plane carrying President Habyarimana, a Hutu, was shot down. Violence began almost immediately after that. Under the cover of war, Hutu extremists launched their plans to destroy the entire Tutsi civilian population. Political leaders who might have been able to take charge of the situation and other high profile opponents of the Hutu extremist plans were killed immediately. Tutsi and people suspected of being Tutsi were killed in their homes and as they tried to flee at roadblocks set up across the country during the genocide. Entire families were killed at a time. Women were systematically and brutally raped. It is estimated that some 200,000 people participated in the perpetration of the Rwandan genocide.
In the weeks after April 6, 1994, 800,000 men, women, and children perished in the Rwandan genocide, perhaps as many as three quarters of the Tutsi population. At the same time, thousands of Hutu were murdered because they opposed the killing campaign and the forces directing it.

The Rwandan genocide resulted from the conscious choice of the elite to promote hatred and fear to keep itself in power. This small, privileged group first set the majority against the minority to counter a growing political opposition within Rwanda. Then, faced with RPF success on the battlefield and at the negotiating table, these few power holders transformed the strategy of ethnic division into genocide. They believed that the extermination campaign would reinstate the solidarity of the Hutu under their leadership and help them win the war, or at least improve their chances of negotiating a favorable peace. They seized control of the state and used its authority to carry out the massacre.
The civil war and genocide only ended when the Tutsi-dominated rebel group, the RPF, defeated the Hutu perpetrator regime and President Paul Kagame took control.

Although the Rwandans are fully responsible for the organization and execution of the genocide, governments and peoples elsewhere all share in the shame of the crime because they failed to prevent and stop this killing campaign.
Policymakers in France, Belgium, and the United States and at the United Nations were aware of the preparations for massive slaughter and failed to take the steps needed to prevent it. Aware from the start that Tutsi were being targeted for elimination, the leading foreign actors refused to acknowledge the genocide. Not only did international leaders reject what was going on, but they also declined for weeks to use their political and moral authority to challenge the legitimacy of the genocidal government. They refused to declare that a government guilty of exterminating its citizens would never receive international assistance. They did nothing to silence the radio that televised calls for slaughter. Even after it had become indisputable that what was going on in Rwanda was a genocide, American officials had shunned the g-word, fearing that it would cause demands for intervention.

When international leaders finally voiced disapproval, the genocidal authorities listened well enough to change their tactics although not their ultimate goal. Far from cause for satisfaction, this small success only highlights the tragedy: if weak protests produced this result in late April, imagine what might have been the result if in mid-April the entire world had spoken out.
                                                                         End of Article

I am no politician but what is particularly bad according to myself is the fact that Rwandans are not allowed to get Visas to come to South Africa and I think the reason for that is that some of those perpetrators of the genocide who’s photos are on that poster at the border are actually living in South Africa and in the newspapers recently it was suggested that they are protected by our government. So if Rwandans could come into the country they could do an arrest and claim the money.

The current president in Rwanda is one of the best in Africa if not in the world. He has just been voted in for the third term and what he does for the country is just too fantastic. Once a month on a weekend he gets his hands dirty and do community work. He has by now involved the whole country and everyone is now involved. As a nation they do clean-up projects and building projects and that is why the country is so clean. Houses are painted and hedges are planted around most houses and this country just stands head and shoulders above the rest of Africa. The President was also instrumental in bringing the genocide to and end and he united the Tutsis and the Hutus and if you would asked anyone in Rwanda today are you a Hutu or a Tutsi then they will tell you they are Rwandans. He also send the people who did the killing to 25 years in prison and if they were prepared to do community work then they got half there sentence off.

After the Kigali Genocide Memorial I went back to Philips house packed my bags and made it off to the border and I felled a bit sad to leave such a beautiful and special country behind.  

Perpetrators of the genocide in Rwanda see the price on their head

Attachments

• SAM_1266.jpg
    SAM_1266.jpg
    198.9 KB

Latest posts