Loskop Dam day trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doringboom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
Howzit everybody ;)

Herewith a few pictures I took on the day trip Johan and I made to Loskop Dam earlier today. Johan is a long time hiking, cycling, camping and touring companion of mine and he recently bought himself a brand new Transalp after an almost two decade absence from the active biking scene. From Pretoria we headed for Cullinan where we had breakfast at the Wimpy and a chat with some other friendly motorcycle daytrippers. Leaving Cullinan, we followed a mixture of tar and some nice gravel via Susterstroom to Loskop Dam.

Johan enjoying his Transalp.

Loskop1.jpg

Loskop2.jpg

Somewhere on our way.

Loskop3.jpg

Johan at the memorial (or is it graffiti stone?) at the dam wall.

Loskop4.jpg

The dam is still overflowing, despite no recent heavy rains.

Loskop5.jpg

We had a lite lunch at the pub of a golf clubhouse not far from the dam. From there we returned on tar via Middelburg, Witbank (N4) and Bronkhorstspruit (old road) to Pretoria. While the weather was very pleasant since the morning, we encountered an oncoming cold front with on-and-off rain halfway between Witbank and Bronkhorstspruit. We made a last stop for coffee at the Steers in Bronkhorstspruit. Outside the shop of the nextdoor garage I bumped into Adventurer, who was on his way back from Letsitele where he attended the "Sanwild handover". We exchanged a few words and I had the opportunity to see his new (much posted about) KTM wheels in the flesh. Nice indeed 8) The road was wet all the way back home.

Signing off: Johan and his much enjoyed new wheels :ricky:

Loskop6.jpg

.....and yours truly with his (not so new anymore) wheels :ricky:

Loskop7.jpg

Nice ride, and a very lekker short story. Tell Johann.... we hope he has a million happy safe kays in front of him. :D

Nice ride... :)

Welcome back Johan, many miles of safe and happy biking to you!

Baie lekker.  Ek moet nog eendag daai omgewing gaan verken.

malgat said:
nice trip
nice scoots guys

does anyone hav the gps tracks for that trip as i would like to do it also,,,soooonnnn

Thanks to you and everybody else! Unfortunately not. I put the exact route we took together sometime last year from 1:50 000 map sheets of the area. The result was only a few notes on a sheet of paper in my pocket. If you can lay your hand on such maps, check for the Susterstroom turnoff from the Bronkhorstspruit - Verena tar road, Genl. JBM Hertzog's grave on the Witbank - Verena tar road and Ntwane village on the Loskop Dam - Dennilton tar road. You basically follow the gravel roads connecting these three points.

Nice thanks. I love riding that area - although up to now I've stayed mostly on tar. I think I might start straying now.

Mmmmm...