LOSKOP DAM - TONTLEDOOS AND HAZYVIEW - UPDATED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panjo

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Well what an awesome trip. I'm still struggling to wipe the smile off my face. I'm hooked. Adventure riding is my new drug and I want MORE.  :drif:

This was my first overnight ride, where previously I have only done short day trips. I researched other Wild dog RR's and planned a similar route in map source. My riding buddy, Pieter (PieterKLE), earned himself the nick name 'Captain Slow' where he later returned the favor and named me 'Captain Faf'. What a pair we made.

Pieter met up with me at a local garage around 5 am on Saturday, where we had a cup of coffee and tanked up the trusty steeds. Pieter and I both drive KLE 500's his is blue and mine is just dirty. Whilst Pieter has been riding for a while, this was to be his first off road experience. I on the other hand, topped the log with one noob ride with his Holiness the Dalai Blazes and a few day trips. Watch out Dakar, here we come ! Pieters bike, is stock standard, where mine has had a few minor mods.

So after warming ourselves up with some Wild Bean coffee, we mounted and headed off, chasing the sunrise on the R25. 50 or so K's in, just before Dronkwordspruit , we turned off onto our first stretch of Gravel. Note to self: Install heated hand grips.

Once out off Bronkhorstspruit, heading towards loskop dam, those Gravel highways just start opening up and I often found myself having to relax the throttle grip after looking down at the speedo, which was a good thing, because somewhere behind me in another dimension was Captain Slow who thought 40 km/h per hour was going to get him a mention in the Guinness Book of World Records :) To be fair, his bikes Speedo was not working and I didn't have the heart to break his spirit. He was enjoying the ride and that's what it is all about.

The most memorable part of the early morning trip must have been traveling through Kranspoort, where we drove in the shadow of some rather tall cliffs. The Wilge River was somewhere in there as well as we crossed her more than once.

Now, a week prior to departure, I made sure that Pieter borrowed my Copy of Adventure Riding techniques, as I felt he would be better prepared for what lay ahead. When we reached the Outskirts of Loskop Dam, It became evident that he skipped the chapter devoted to descending.  :deal:

Luckily, nothing too serious was broken, but how he managed to break his shoelace, I'll never understand. Anyway, soon we were off again on our adventure.

With Pieter now back on his bike, we carried on to the bustling metropolis of Loskop By die Dam. By now we were both starving and we found a table at the Bospot Pub and Grill. As the menu stated "Dit vat n hele 45 minute om n gooie bord kos te maak" or in Ingles, "It takes a veeery long time to make a good plate of food". Be that as it may, the food, when it eventually arrived was well received and it went down a treat. Nom Nom Nom.

With both Bikes and Riders refueled, we continued. Here the roads almost begged you to open the throttle, lovely long gravel roads, snaking through the beautiful scenery. Eventually the road led us to Blinkwater where we changed our predominantly east ward progress to a more Northerly heading towards Tontledoos. Just before Tontledoos, there's this lovely little pass where you climb quite a bit. I managed to take some nice pics here. Arriving in Tontledoos, we discovered, well not really discovered, as it was pretty much the only place that looked interesting, a Cheese Shop with a pub. So we bought some cheese, to take home to the Wives and slayed two of Windhoeks finest.

After Tontledoos, where we drove around the outskirts of belfast, the roads stopped thier straight and flat Non sense and started to wind and undulute through the hilly landscape. The road surface also became more uneven and rocky, with loose rocks and klippies strewn across the surface making for more mental focus on the road, then to add insult to injury,about 5 km's outside Tontledoos,the route started to lose altitude dramatically. I'd safely say that even some 4x4's would reconsider what we came across hence the tricky bits called for some slow riding using the engine compression to slow the descent and more rider weight shifted rear of the footrests. Classic! Needless to say, we made slow progress and I was starting to realise that we would not make Hazyview with the sun still shining.

At a railway crossing with a sign proclaming the Station of Asbes, I could see that Pieter was taking a bit of strain, understandably this being his first excursion, but I cunningly used the old "dangle a Carrot in front of the donkey" trick to coax him on, only the carrot this time was an Ice cold windhoek. With Pieter focusing more on a reward and less on the road ahead, I felt confident enough to tackle the remaining part of the route to Lydenburg. Pieter and I had decided to make a call once we made Lydenburg, wether we would continue off road or hit the N4 to Hazyview.

The road to Lydenburg was a series of lazy climbs and Sleepy descents, punctuated by the occasional hairpin bend. The scenery was achingly beautifull, pastoral scenes with inquisitive cows and grassy hills spring to mind as I type this. The road condition was improving allowing for faster driving and I must state for the record, Pieter was driving faster now as his confidence increased.

We made Lydenburg at around 4pm that afternoon. We refeulled and rewarded our efforts with an Ice cold carrot. It was pretty obvious to us both that we would have to forego the rest of the route in order for us to make Hazyview before it became too dark.

RR continues below

Lekker man!  ;D

Have been to Tonteldoos but in a cage a while ago...would love to go on the Dakkie
sometime soon!

Nice report and nice roads!  :ricky:

SuperDave said:
Lekker man!   ;D

Nice report and nice roads!   :ricky:

Thanks Superdave, I was begining to think no one liked my RR !

Lekker hier in ons valley !! :thumleft:

Anyway. So Day 2 started offat 7:30 am, with us driving from Hazyview down to White River on the old R40 to get some breakfast. At around 10, we left. They do not call me Captain Faf for nothing! The return route was not cast in stone and the planning of it could be likened to a Sangoma throwing some bones over a map or a pin the tail on the Donkey affair.

With that said, We drove some tar over the Kaapschehoop mountain and at the N4 intersection at Ngodwana, we followed the Garmin to a boomed Gate, with a sign board declaring it to be the Clivia Gate. We were a bit sceptical of the Garmins choice of route as we had never heard of a pass called Clivia and the security guard when questioned, didn't really seem to know what a Clivia Pass was or even why he was guarding it.

Anyway, our sense of adventure got the better of us and we signed the Register alongside the names of other intrepid explorers who had gone before in search of the "Clivia". The road that led us away from the gate on to Clivia Pass was narrow, but well maintained and the scenery simply breathtaking. In fact it was literally breathtaking because we seemed to climb and Climb and Climb until at one stage I recognised the huge Sappi Ngodwana plant as but a tiny white scratch on the valley floor.

I cannot recall for how long this road went on for but eventually the tar road said his farewells as we embraced our Good friend Gravel like a long lost cousin we had not seen in decades. During all this riding along the pass, It felt that we had entered a dimension where time stood still, we maybe passed one bakkie and even then I would not swear to it, or maybe it was just altitude sickness playing tricks.

Anyway. I'm glad those bones landed where they did. Clivia Pass or Elandshoogte as I have come to learn the real name, has definately earned a place on my "Must Ride Again" list.

Some More RR later  Ciao

So. We eventually turn onto the N4 towards Machadodorp. Before the Highway intersection we pulled over and consulted the Garmin for a B route that would be more interesting. After a few minutes of ....Recalculating ......Recalculating,  eventualy, and with much disdain, the Garmin handed me a route that looked like it could be fun. Pieter wanted a Tar road return route and thats just what he didn't get. The road was Gravel and it was LEKKER! Although I think my view would change if I road it during the rainy season. The road, eventually bought us into Belfast where we stopped at the Engen for a Bite to eat.

I had to chuckle to myself when parading in to the forecourt came a cavalcade of GS's. All Dolled up with not a micron of dust to be found on thier shiny armor. Seriously, when you have a machine like that, you should be pulling a plough and making new roads for us Dogs to explore, non of this dodging cages on the N4 rubbish.

After our late lunch we hit the R104. The garmin warned me with a "Here be Potholes lurking. Arrrrghh" kind of message. Well not really but you get the drift. Actually, the Garmin was being kind, to say that the road has potholes is like saying Jacob Zuma is Chaste. This road has seriously NOT seen a Road Works Maintenance Crew since the current government first invented potholes in 1995. But I consoled myself with the fact that at least Pieter was getting to ride on Tar, if only in bits and peices.

By the time we hit middleburg, I called a conference meeting, all two of us, with my imaginary friend taking notes and it was agreed upon and rattified that to carry on in this manner would be ludicrous. Especially if our families wanted to see us before breakfast...Tomorrow. So with our tails tucked firmly between our legs and with a shudder of disgust, we joined the cages on the N4 , and headed back to Gangsters Paradise.

THE END

sorry I missed this one :-[. So how many kilometers did you guys do all in all?

KawaPowa said:
SuperDave said:
Lekker man!   ;D

;D 

I think the dogs are either asleep or working...! 

KawaPowa said:
We were a bit sceptical of the Garmins choice of route as we had never heard of a pass called Clivia and the security guard when questioned, didn't really seem to know what a Clivia Pass was or even why he was guarding it.

:imaposer:

Excellent RR, KawaPowa!  Would you mind sharing your GPS track?  I'm collecting various routes in the Cullinan - Blinkwater - Steelpoort are for putting together a good weekend trip...

Nomad said:
sorry I missed this one :-[. So how many kilometers did you guys do all in all?

The ride was 880 k's in total. Lots of Fun and I'm going to do it again soon!

Hi Guys! Yeah the trip was awesome and as Kawapowa mentioned we are both hooked. We will be doing it soon as i promised him that i will pick up the pace only if he downscales the bloody faffing!

I was actually really impressed with what the KLE's could do! Great bike!

SuperDave said:
KawaPowa said:
SuperDave said:
Lekker man!   ;D

;D 

I think the dogs are either asleep or working...! 

KawaPowa said:
We were a bit sceptical of the Garmins choice of route as we had never heard of a pass called Clivia and the security guard when questioned, didn't really seem to know what a Clivia Pass was or even why he was guarding it.

:imaposer:
Nice one :thumleft: Ja Boet work is really interfering.  :pot:

Great RR report, guys, and a good punt for the worthy KLE as well!
Pieter ER said:
I was actually really impressed with what the KLE's could do! Great bike!

Pieter ER said:
.... We will be doing it soon as i promised him that i will pick up the pace only if he downscales the bloody faffing! ....
Would love to join you on your next escapade - how about a KLE group ride?

trackSHUN said:
Would love to join you on your next escapade - how about a KLE group ride?

What a bloody brilliant Idea. I nominate you to start a thread  :biggrin: