Magaliesburg Meander - 2009-08-30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I have to tell you two things. You may know them already, but I will tell you anyway.

1. The “dogs” are lekka people.
2. Riding our kinds of bikes is a lekka way to spend a day out there.

Today just confirmed it for me, and told me I have been on my bike far too little recently.

I have not much to report, other than it was a good relaxing day out there, and thanks to the ten or so people who tagged along.

We started at the much-motorbiked Pinehaven Sasol, up the hill and through Krugersdorp and onto the West Rand Consolidated mines land, and then along the Krugersdorp-Tarlton-Magaliesburg Railway line to Orient. From there a few gravel freeways to DeepBase9’s farm in Magalies for some most welcome refreshment and a short ride to the impressive hill-top on the farm, where, wait for it – JULES – bought a piece of the farm in the most spectacular fashion in the sandy section at the top of the hill !

The meanie was far too fast, and I was far too slow and I have no picture to show for it.

My personal congratulations to Carla (I think Fire Cracker ? on the forum). It was her first day on the KLR on gravel and she did extremely well. I think she may be a little down as the bike took three small sleepies under her, but she always came up from the dust with a big grin and hopped back on.  There were a couple of tricky bits for a newbie rider - I had a couple of almost-downs myself.

Well done ma’am – hope to see you out there lots. 

Thanks to Steve and Sam for their hospitality, and it was really nice to leave their place without a hangover – unlike certain Bosberaads I have been to.

We ended up having lunch at Kenjara Lodge (S25 59.029 E27 47.523), which is a great place to wind down after a ride. I stayed on to watch the Grand Prix in the pub, but the couch was far too comfortable and I woke up to the Finnish and Italian anthems and some champagne spraying. I wonder if I snored ?     

I have only a few picks to share, but I am sure more will appear.

Thanks all for a most enjoyable day.

The team.

RailwayToDB920090830001.jpg

Bikes in “die vlaktes”

RailwayToDB920090830005.jpg

Thanks for sharing GundaGunda

I would love to see that old steam train, If you don't mind, a more exact location of the steam engine please. Wonder if there are any working examples left in SA? They stopped the one that was going every Sunday morning from Pta to Harties a few years back.

Awsome day out!

It was such a perfect spot for a spill I just couldn't resist! Lesson learnt, don't hit neutral as your front wheel hits the sand, makes bike a little sleepy!  :)

To Firecracker Very Well done girl! This was a hectic first introduction to dirt riding and you did it very well! look forward to a lot more rides with you and WouldI

To the rest of you and especially Steve and Sam thanks for a lekka day!

Jules

TVB said:
I would love to see that old steam train, If you don't mind, a more exact location of the steam engine please. Wonder if there are any working examples left in SA? They stopped the one that was going every Sunday morning from Pta to Harties a few years back.

They still run the Garrett (Lil Suzie) out to Magalies once a month.

That one is at S26 07.725 E27 43.559 - at the entrace to the old SA national Railway and steam museum - which is being relocated to Chamdor and will open shortly - I think .

There are a whole lot more at S26 07.400 E27 44.401 but you need to get a letter from the railways to visit them.

I managed to catch a picture of the elusive sleeping Jules. He's very quick to get up and I almost missed him.

Nice ride and company once again, thanks GundaGunda.

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    93.1 KB
TVB said:

Check out this RR!
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=26282.0

Thanks GundaGunda and Leon Dude, will defiantly visit, especially the museum!  :D

GO........... TEAM GREEN!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Go Firecracker we will have to make a plan to ride togeather soon... nice one Gunda would have like to have come riding but was away on Calendar Shoot...  :thumleft:

Dakota said:
Go Firecracker we will have to make a plan to ride togeather soon... nice one Gunda would have like to have come riding but was away on Calendar Shoot...  :thumleft:

There is always another day - in fact always lots of other days !

Thanks Guys had a fantastic ride, Fire Cracker in bed fast asleep and a bit sore. Buying so many farms in one day took it out of her..... ;) ;)

Thanks for a nice out Gunda Gunda and co nice to meet some new folks...
Thanks db9 for refreshments much appreciated.

Attachments

• P1020432.jpg
    P1020432.jpg
    59.7 KB
  • P1020420.jpg
    P1020420.jpg
    77.2 KB
  • P1020371.jpg
    P1020371.jpg
    99.9 KB
  • P1020452.jpg
    P1020452.jpg
    58.1 KB
  • P1020426.jpg
    P1020426.jpg
    59.3 KB
Ninja.. :thumleft:

P1020321.jpg

P1020391.jpg

P1020469.jpg

P1020342.jpg

P1020398.jpg

KLHARLY..
P1020458.jpg

P1020443.jpg

P1020352.jpg

P1020390.jpg

will post more when my datacard stops giving me shite.. random order.

Would I? said:
The photos are great!!

+1000

Nice to have an expert along - You should do this for a living !

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Love that one with the kids on the railway track. I would never have thought to drop the camera to get that perspective.

Would I? said:
Thanks Guys had a fantastic ride, Fire Cracker in bed fast asleep and a bit sore. Buying so many farms in one day took it out of her..... ;) ;)

Wish her well  for us.

When it comes to farms, shop, shop, shop 'til you drop.  ;D

GundaGunda said:
. . . . . .I stayed on to watch the Grand Prix in the pub, but the couch was far too comfortable and I woke up to the Finnish and Italian anthems and some champagne spraying. I wonder if I snored ?       

An then, later, I went to the Dros to watch the USA MotoGP (Where Rossi and Pedrosa also went farm-buying, but with no Fire Cracker/Jules smiles, and less dignity) and had another little snooze.