More Roof `08

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hammerhead said:
Thanx for the pics! Looks like an awesome way to spend a weekend (spectating...  ;) )

Edgy, that 950SE of yours should come with an age restriction! I see one, I want one.

On the weapon of choice to tackle the Roof: I know that the 2-strokes have always been very popular, but thought they might be slowly dissapearing - with the likes of Honda closing down their 2 stroke factory and all.
(yes, I'm itching for a plastic toy... )  :biggrin:

I saw plenty WR 450's but the KTM screechers still seem the weapon of choice ar present.

Gerhard Forster hurt his shoulder on Friday and could not complete the race.  Until he retired he was in about 10th position.
They had some starter motor issues with the bike after Round the Houses, but once fixed the bike was fine.  No kick start, so you kinda need the starter motor.....

SGB said:
Gerhard Forster hurt his shoulder on Friday and could not complete the race.  Until he retired he was in about 10th position.
They had some starter motor issues with the bike after Round the Houses, but once fixed the bike was fine.  No kick start, so you kinda need the starter motor.....

Hahaahahahahahahahahahaah, I'd like to say 'I told you so'. In all likelyhood the only enduro bike without a kickstart.

BiG DoM said:
I saw plenty WR 450's but the KTM screechers still seem the weapon of choice ar present.

Not a single 450 4-stroke finished.

Metaljockey said:
SGB said:

Hahaahahahahahahahahahaah, I'd like to say 'I told you so'. In all likelyhood the only enduro bike without a kickstart.The other is a DRZ 400! Awesome machine...but no kickstart?

Great ride guys, I'll never moan about our rodes again. :thumleft:
Where can I find a old thumper TT , I like the dudes life attitude.
>:D

Some more pics from Polo

Attachments

• pierre 010 (Medium).jpg
    pierre 010 (Medium).jpg
    128.8 KB
  • pierre 022 (Medium).jpg
    pierre 022 (Medium).jpg
    127.1 KB
shark_za said:
Hammerhead said:
Nice! - even the road to the Roof looks amazing.

I have no idea how the classes work, but what seems to be the bike of choice for the majority of riders ??? - 2-stroke, 4-stroke? ; cc?
Sorry, very curious.

You tell me whats best for techincal riding like the Roof....

1st Chris Birch - KTM 300 2-stroke
2nd Jade Gutseit - Yamaha 250 2-stroke
3rd Darryl Curtis - KTM 250 2-stroke
4th Bartosz Oblicki - Husky 250 2-stroke
5th Craig Stone - KTM 250 2-stroke
6th Altus De Wet - KTM 200 2-stroke
7th Kenny Gilbert - KTM 250 2-stroke
8th Lourens Mahoney - KTM 300 2-stroke
9th Clint Lund - Yamaha 250 2-stroke
10th Shannon Frost - KTM 250 2-stroke
11th Seamus Mcarthy - Yamaha 250F 4-stroke
12th William Gillet - Yamaha 125 2-stroke 

Basically a 200-250-300 2-stroke is the best choice.
KTMs and Yamahas dominate.

Gillet is just a legend to pilot that 125 like that but its not a bad choice when the going gets rough.

2nd choice is a 250 4-stroke, many of the middle of the packers rode them.

Worst choice, a 450 or 525 4-stroke.

Assuming I have the right guy, the boys from the Baron (my pub landlords just bought a 990 each) tell me they know Shannon,s old man, he has not raced this year due to studying, as he has just done his matric? So that 10th is all the more impressive!

Welsh  :peepwall:

Metaljockey said:
SGB said:

Hahaahahahahahahahahahaah, I'd like to say 'I told you so'. In all likelyhood the only enduro bike without a kickstart.

Seems like my words in TopBike were prophetic indeed  ;D

great report, wish i could join  :thumleft:

Polo got a 4 " nail in his back tyre(old scorp) ,and we really shat to remove the tyre...we actually damaged the beading,so started searching for a replacement.Orange and his "little" mate arrived with SE`s on the back of a bakkie....with a spare Baja rear! Lucky day!!Orange ,great to meet you and Tiny :biggrin: and we owe you one :thumleft:

Attachments

• roof`08 059 (Medium).jpg
    roof`08 059 (Medium).jpg
    119.2 KB
Met a dude from Bloem who has his own printing bussiness,and had done some fine work on his XT

Attachments

• roof`08 113 (Medium).jpg
    roof`08 113 (Medium).jpg
    108.6 KB
Great report Edgy

Love this pic
index.php

This bike belongs to Elmer s brother (Philip)and is a sweet tribute to him
index.php

bushclown said:
Great report Edgy

Love this pic
index.php

If this pic gets entered into a best picture of the year competition it gets my vote.

Great Stuff!

Shannon is studying at Wits, does not ride for any major team and is basically the first "privateer" to finish.  Yes, awesome achievement.
Ox and mates were his pit crew, also for Jason Kozinsky and Mat Barker.
Mat finished and Jason burnt out the clutch on his WR250F on the last day. Bad luck bud.

Jason came 22nd last year when 26 finished, Shannon did a top 10 2 years ago on a KTM 125 !