Mozambican Crash Fest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gee eS

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
On Monday night the 14th of March 2011 I was scanning the Planning a ride section for any trips over the long weekend and in Chrissie B's planning thread I saw that Rieks invited her on a trip to Mozambique the 18th to the 21st. I took a chance and Rieks gave me the nod to go along. Rieks kindly allowed most of us to crash at her home and I arrived at her place in Nelspruit on Thursday afternoon. That evening  Rieks treated us to a very nice dinner and we got to know each other over a few beers.

Thank you to Rieks and everyone else on the trip I had a great time.

There were 9 bikes, 1 x GSA, 3 x GS 1200, 1 x GS 800, 1 x KTM 950 SE, 1 x KTM 640, 1 x DR 650 and 1 x DR 200, with the two DR’s being trailered to Maputo.
IMG_2414_2.jpg

We left just after 05:00 on Friday morning and had an uneventful trip to Maputo where we took the ferry across the bay and had a
very tasty brunch consisting of sarmies, cold meats, eggs and chicken, prepared by Rieks mother.
Getting fuel and some Meticas in Komatipoort.
IMG_2415.jpg

IMG_2416.jpg

On the way to Maputo
IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2417_2.jpg

The ferry ride.
IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

IMG_2428.jpg

Breaking for brunch.
IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2429.jpg

Here I am still full of confidence with absolutely no idea of what lies in wait for me. Yes you guessed it, the mother of all sand monsters.
IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

Andre.
IMG_2438.jpg

Rudie.
IMG_2437.jpg

From Maputo it is about 120 Km’s to Ponta Do Ouro of which the 1st 90 K’s was mostly good gravel highway. The last 30 K’s was very, very thick and loose tweespoor track for most of the way and this was where the fun started for the people in the backup vehicles and where the two pillions decided to abandon their hubbys for the air-conditioned luxury of the pickups. The sand was hell and it took forever  to complete. I got so tired that I had to take three very long breaks just to be able to use my legs without getting cramps. I think I crashed more than ten times and at one stage could not pick the 800 up without some help.

Braam. 
IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2457.jpg

I eventually stopped at this little shop in the middle on nowhere and bought a warm Zamalek that tasted like honey. I then lazed around in the shade intill the back up vehicle and Braam on his 1200 caught up with me.
IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2458.jpg

This was also where I decided ATGAT se moer and removed my helmet neckbrace and ballistick jacket as the heat was just killing me. From here I decided to ride in the grass next to the road whenever possible and it went much faster than on the sand.
IMG_2468.jpg

Braam and the back up bakkie.
IMG_2469.jpg

Just another slowspeed crash.
IMG_2466.jpg

Ok. Thats it for now, I will post more photos tomorrow.
The rest of you feel free to post your photos here

Haha, we did that exact bit of sand on the GS Trophy. It's seriously kak in places. I almost got flashbacks of Japanese riders doing their harikiri flat-taps-until-terminal-failure riding on them roads.  ::)  :biggrin:

Respect for completing it though.  :thumleft:

:thumleft:
You must have been very chuffed to get to your destination after such a challenging day.
Well done.

Well done for persevering  :thumleft:

Malibu and I did that same stretch of sand ...twice ..in one day. There are some serious sections of soft sand.  :biggrin:

Thanks for the comments. This was one of the toughest days in my life that was compounded by the fact that I had about 12kg's worth of tools, tubes and other stuff in the topbox until the 1st backup caught up with me and my front was at 1.4 and the rear was at 1.6 bar. I later heard that most of the guys had their wheels at 0.8
I just have to say I did not quite make it all the way.
About 2 k's from Ponta, Andre(BMW Rider Academy) and some of the guys came looking for us with the second pickup and when he volunteered to ride my bike home I could not say yes fast enough. :biggrin:

Me and my wife travelled together (DR 650 & DR 200) on this trip. (Together....for obvious reasons!)

She is a newby and had been to the SPAR 3 times on her DR 200, and attended the ADA DP1 (2 day course) 2 weeks prior to this trip. (She did well on the DP1 course!)

We were however not expecting such a challenge! (Sand is nie jou speelmaatjie nie!)

It was extremely tiring...with me having to assist my wife through the thick sand.

Although extremely difficult....it was a memorable trip!

"Although extremely difficult....it was a memorable trip!"
Jy kan dit weer se.
Sit bietjie van julle fotos ook op :ricky:

chopperpilot said:
Me and my wife travelled together (DR 650 & DR 200) on this trip. (Together....for obvious reasons!)

She is a newby and had been to the SPAR 3 times on her DR 200, and attended the ADA DP1 (2 day course) 2 weeks prior to this trip. (She did well on the DP1 course!)

We were however not expecting such a challenge! (Sand is nie jou speelmaatjie nie!)

It was extremely tiring...with me having to assist my wife through the thick sand.

Are you still on speaking terms ;D

Diesel & Dust said:
chopperpilot said:

Are you still on speaking terms ;D

Believe or not...we are! :thumleft:

Must be 'cause we have been married for nearly 22 years!

My patience was however tested to the limited!

I had my bike...my wife's bike...and even our 1 back-up vehicle (2 wheel drive) to take care (push out of the sand!) of!