Mozambican Crash Fest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did this stretch about 10 times in my Hilux but never on the bike!!! Well done to you guys :thumleft: WELL DONE :thumleft:

Lekker, You guys made it, respect.....The last time I went up from Kosi bay to ponta I came across 2 guys on fully loaded 800GS'S, they did about 5km of sand and was stranded next to the road, no more power......luckily a guy with a land cruiser came along and loaded the bikes on the back, he took them 30km north past the sand, from thereon it was gravel to Maputo.

There were many more picks taken but some of the group are not on WD and others who are do not visit WD frequently. I will try to get them to mail the pick to me. There are a couple of action picks floating around where I bought some Moz farms

Here are a few more
Before the trip I had plans to explore the area around Ponta Do Ouro but after this sand I parked the bike and just enjoyed the next two days on the beach with the rest of the group. The town itself is nothing to write home about as it is a typical African town.
IMG_2507.jpg

The beach however is a different story as it is really beautiful and the water is almost luke warm with very small breakers and stays shallow for quite a distance.
IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2470.jpg

I will try to post  the last few picks I have tomorrow

Mmmmm .. it did however mean the end of a "best friend (pillion)" relationship. They left a day later .. the mr-in with me - they thought it was a tarr road to Ponta :) - hoe sê hulle: Afrika is nie 'n plek vir sissies nie! Sorry mate! :pot:

I have never laughed so much in my life - Martus in the red back-up was such a clown and the spirit of the weekend. We made such great friends - Gee-S, thanks for joining us Slowvelders from Jhb, Andre all the way from Gauteng as well, Braam and Petronel from Barberton, Henk, Jana and Beja, Rudi and Eugene from Hazyview, Martus the clown (stirrer), D-Ben (back-up) and my past tense friends from Kempton Park .. sorry for the misunderstanding that you perhaps expected a tarred road to Ponta  :imaposer:

Some pics to follow. 1. Sunrise on the N4 2. The crowd on the ferry 3. Shabeen's warm Fanta Orange until the back up arrived with ice. I have never appreciated ice so much as if it was in the desert 4. The sand seemed forever - this man did not appreciate my route! 5. Andre coping well! After all being my instructor at the BMW Rider Academy's instructors course!

Attachments

• DSC00476x.jpg
    DSC00476x.jpg
    91.7 KB
  • DSC00490x.jpg
    DSC00490x.jpg
    137.6 KB
  • DSC00495x.jpg
    DSC00495x.jpg
    179.6 KB
  • DSC00500x.jpg
    DSC00500x.jpg
    155.6 KB
  • DSC00502x.jpg
    DSC00502x.jpg
    125.5 KB
6. Petronel watching hubby Braam from the trailer

Attachments

• SAM_1424x.jpg
    SAM_1424x.jpg
    187.7 KB
Rudi Cavina in action!

Attachments

• DSC00524x.jpg
    DSC00524x.jpg
    125.2 KB
  • DSC00552x.jpg
    DSC00552x.jpg
    59 KB
We stayed in my neighbours great 4 bedroom airconditioned house - all rooms ensuite shower and toilet, aircon and courtyard door.

Attachments

• DSC00553x.jpg
    DSC00553x.jpg
    176.3 KB
AWESOME Ride guys!!!!!!

Jirre that sand makes me  :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif: :drif:

I cannot wait to go and ride it sometime, maybe I should make a plan for later this year.

Hey guys - i salute you for a great weekend. Thanks for joining. Perhaps more pics to follow later ..

Thanks for posting Rieks, I am sure you have many more photos.
Ok here are a few more of mine.
Some more sand on the way to Ponta.
IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

Ponta.
IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

Arriving at........
IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2492-1.jpg

Fun and games on the way back from 360 degrees.
IMG_2499-2.jpg

IMG_2503-2.jpg

At The Beach Bar
IMG_2476-1.jpg

IMG_2482-1.jpg

From left to right; Myself(Gee eS), Andre, Braam, Petronel, Rieks, Martus(008), Eugene.

D-Ben our backup driver and braaier of note, Thank for everything buddy :thumleft:
IMG_2480.jpg

Myself and Braam chickened out and Martus kindly offered to trailer our bikes to the Kosi bay border on Sunday evening.  At the border we had to pay some Moz cops R50-00 per bike to park our bikes on their porch but at least the bikes were save for the night. We offered to Pay Martus the same some drunk oke wanted to charge us (R450-00 for 12 Ks) or to at least fill up his truck but he refused any compensation. He was the joker of the trip and is a really great guy. THANK YOU Martus!!

On the way back.
IMG_2522-1.jpg

IMG_2526-1.jpg

IMG_2524-1.jpg

IMG_2523-1.jpg

One of the numerous stop and go points with miles and miles of cars backed up at every point. This was the  only one I stopped at and that was just to take this pick.
IMG_2527.jpg

I left Kosi Bay sometime after 10:00 and only stopped for fuel and a very slow Wimpy burger and a shake in Bethal and reached my home in Roodepoort at 17:00

Nice pics Gee-S! Very nice! I will add some more later - just crazy with month-end here ...

Thanks Rieks, luckily month-end and stuff like that don't affect me much. I just wish I had a helmet cam. The footage would have been good for a couple of laughs. Martus and Petronel should have some good photos of me falling, that is if they were not laughing too much. The were behind me for about 10K's.

I have learned some hard lessons on this trip and now that the trip is over it is easy to see what I did wrong. The 1st couple of kilos in the sand went very well for me but as soon as I slowed down I stared crashing and when I got tired I lost the mind game and stopped applying the basics of stand up, look up and open up. I would stand up and not shift my weight to the rear and putter along only to crash a few meters further. I think the main reason that I stopped concentrating properly was because I did not take any energy bars or drinks along and water alone is just not enough. I had three litres of water in my camel back and bought some more at a shebeen, the shebeen had some chocolates and tinned food on the shelves but I just did not think about buying any which was an even bigger mistake than not taking anything to eat with from the start.

Lets do it again!  :ricky: I have all the pics from Martus - will post some more later ..