Mud and me... (quicky.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevgh0

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
At lunch I was looking at an old post where Mark commented on the Nuwekloof pass and how far it is rideable...

I had to go and find out for myself.

Filled up - R46 and hit the gravel to gouda. The roads are washed away and some of the potholes are huge. But i got to gouda without any trouble. I took the first road left that to me looked like it went to the railway line...

I was right... I klapped it down there... and went straight into a moerse puddle... you dont seem to see these things when you are doing 100kph in a 2 spoor road.

IMG_0018Medium.jpg

I eventually parked off to get some water and I heard this sissing noise i thought... hey wheres the snake? Next minute this moers train comes past.
IMG_0006Medium.jpg

IMG_0007Medium.jpg

After the train passes I head down this road moerse excited... but not long and the road just ended. I continued very nervously next to the rail way for about 200m but decided to turn around... me vs train = no go.

IMG_0009Medium.jpg

IMG_0014Medium.jpg

IMG_0016Medium.jpg

IMG_0015Medium.jpg

On the way back i decided i wanted to ride back via the railway road to hermon. This went well. I had a another run in with a spoornet train who attempted to race me... I out ran him a moerse stuk, but in the end i realised he actually slowed down.

IMG_0019Medium.jpg

Roads to Voelvlei
IMG_0022Medium.jpg

IMG_0023Medium.jpg

IMG_0027Medium.jpg

Then I had a one on one session with the mudmonster ...

IMG_0029Medium.jpg

IMG_0030Medium.jpg

IMG_0033Medium.jpg

The mudmonster got its ass whipped --- okay just just
IMG_0034Medium.jpg

Not long after that i got to a closed gate so i had to backtrack via tar to zonkwasdrift and hit the gravel back to Riebeek Kasteel. I hit the Rail road from there to Riebeek west - also pretty damn muddy, some sections my whole bike was nearly submerged!

IMG_0036Medium.jpg

IMG_0037Medium.jpg

IMG_0037Medium.jpg

Got home and had a lekker shower... what an awesome little ride!

sorry for the karkphoties... the camera is a vivitar point and shoot... but its durable .. and who cares if it breaks

Thanks Stev0!  That's a serious mud-monster you beat there.  8)

That mudhole scares me!  If you sukkeled to get through with a WR450, knobblies and your skill, then I think it would be photo-opportunity time when I hit it.  :imaposer: :imaposer:

that mud pie was just happy to see me...

That part is about 10km further down from the zonkwasdrift turnoff, we wont be going that far.

Stev0 , in the 6th picture you posted you will see a bridge. If you go by tar towards that bridge there is a gate on your righthand side to a road that's running with the railway line through the pass. Thats the rail road that continue on the one where you turned around.  ;)

Stev0 said:
bring die ou vara saam :D

Kan net Saterdag tot rugbytyd n bietjie ry........... kry dan drinker-gaste en Sondag verjaar Mamma en dan moet ek vir haar bietjie "treat"  ;)