Mud, dust and fresh sea air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelf13

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Earlier this week me and Jay decided that it was time to take our bikes and go look for a few dirt roads in the EL area.  This would be the first longish trip for Jay on his XT600 and for me on my XR400, so we were keen to see how the bikes would do on a slightly longer ride.

With my work not completely done by Friday, and the weather report stating that we will have a lot of rain on Saturday, we decided that we will rather go riding on Sunday.  I finished all my work on Saturday morning and we decided with the rain still not here, we will go and look for some gravel roads and explore.

We were both hungry so we made a first stop for a late breakfast (after just 3km) before we left.

From Gonubie we left on a dirt road in the direction of Stutterheim.  This dirt road met up with the N6.  We traveled along the N6 for a short while before turning onto a gravel road towards Komga.

Somewhere on the road to Komga

We carried on with the Komga road for a while before I noticed that Jay's number plate was flapping in the wind.  I signaled him to stop, so that we can investigate further.  When we stopped we saw that it looks like a rock must have shuttered his numberplate, braking the hard case of the number plate only leaving the paper flapping in the wind :imaposer:

Our plan was to only travel on dirt road as far as possible.  We must have missed one of our gravel turn offs, because as the weather changed we came to a T-junction with a tar road.  We stopped to look on the GPS were we were and were we will find more dirt road (at this stage it started to rain, so more mud road)

Jay trying to find out were we were :peepwall:

Both bikes cruise very comfortably at 90 km/h, so we were not keen on riding on tar as far as possible.
We turned right through Komga to meet up with the N2.  A short travel on the N2 and we turned off to Kei Mouth/Morgans Bay on the old gravel road. 

By this time the weather has cleared up nicely and we had some good riding.

Stopped at Morgans Bay hotel for some food, but unfortunately the kitchen was closed.

Some photos we took on top of the mountain at Morgans Bay

We decided that we will head in the way of Kei Mouth to see if we can get something to eat and for some fuel for the XR.

We came across a river that we had to cross, and we went for it.  The XR made it through without problems, but the XT got some water on the kill switch and halfway through the river it just died.  Jay pushed it through and after a short while got it going again.  We headed towards Kei Mouth and had the best burgers I had in a long time and coffee at the Selections Coffee shop (maybe I was just hungry at this stage :peepwall:)

Jay without his wet shoes :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

After the well deserved lunch/dinner (almost 17:00 by this time) we headed for some fuel before heading back on tar road at a steady 90km/h to EL. 

We have done just short of 300km for the day.  I must say that it has been a long time for myself riding so far in one day on a XR, and I will not be making fun of any BMW riders doing the meerkat.  On the way back my backside was so sore that I was meerkatting every 5km :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

This was a awesome day of riding, but we will definitely leave earlier next time, so that we can stop more often for photos :thumleft:

Was very impressed with the little piggy, it never skipped a beat and just carried on and on and on without complaining :3some: :3some: :3some:

Can't wait for next weekend

Thanks for the awesome trip nelf13, i cant wait for the next one next weekend.

nelf13 said:
Earlier this week me and Jay decided that it was time to take our bikes and go look for a few dirt roads in the EL area.  This would be the first longish trip for Jay on his XT600 and for me on my XR400, so we were keen to see how the bikes would do on a slightly longer ride.

With my work not completely done by Friday, and the weather report stating that we will have a lot of rain on Saturday, we decided that we will rather go riding on Sunday.  I finished all my work on Saturday morning and we decided with the rain still not here, we will go and look for some gravel roads and explore.

We were both hungry so we made a first stop for a late breakfast (after just 3km) before we left.

From Gonubie we left on a dirt road in the direction of Stutterheim.  This dirt road met up with the N6.  We traveled along the N6 for a short while before turning onto a gravel road towards Komga.

Somewhere on the road to Komga

:thumleft:

Must be a nice area to ride. We did the Strandloper hiking trail a few year ago, and I must say the service at Morgan Bay hotel was atrocious. We tried to order lunch, but after an hour we simply gave up.

Vaalseun said:
Must be a nice area to ride. We did the Strandloper hiking trail a few year ago, and I must say the service at Morgan Bay hotel was atrocious. We tried to order lunch, but after an hour we simply gave up.

i dont think it will be any better , we tried to eat something and everything was closed. but i must say the service at the little shop in Kei mouth was awesome.

JMOL said:
Nice roads you did.

Kally calls that gravel road to Komga the "Golden Highway".  There are various roads and routes in that area.

Why not joining us this weekend?

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=134275.0

Would be nice to meet new WD's.

Jmol that road is awesome ,

we are thinking about it but i don't think will be able to do the whole route , would it be possible to do some of the route. would really like to meet up with some dogs.

Howzit

Looks like you guys had fun  :) sorry I missed out on the trip

Nicholas

nicks1 said:
Howzit

Looks like you guys had fun  :) sorry I missed out on the trip

Nicholas

Hi Nic

glad you joined the forum

Julle moet kontak details vir my deurstuur, dan sit ek jul op die lys as ons weer gaan ry.  :deal:

Ek het nie juis vriende nie, dis maar net uitgewekenes wat saam met my ry, so jul is welkom as julle hul kan verdra  :deal:  :lol8:

JMOL said:
Julle moet kontak details vir my deurstuur, dan sit ek jul op die lys as ons weer gaan ry.  :deal:

Ek het nie juis vriende nie, dis maar net uitgewekenes wat saam met my ry, so jul is welkom as julle hul kan verdra  :deal:  :lol8:

dit sal baie gaaf wees, gelukig as jy motorfiets ry hoor jy nie as die ander kak praat nie.

While at the BMW Eco we popped into Selections 8) Good food and coffee and cake at most reasonable prices :3some: Eventually spending 2,5 Hrs. there waiting for the rain to hold up, never happened, never got wet. It pays to buy quality bike gear.

cheesy said:
While at the BMW Eco we popped into Selections 8) Good food and coffee and cake at most reasonable prices :3some: Eventually spending 2,5 Hrs. there waiting for the rain to hold up, never happened, never got wet. It pays to buy quality bike gear.

Cheesy , I felt for yuo guys that weekend, but most of the pubs where full in east london on the plus side . piss cats :)

Lekker, this is the best way to ride: On a smaller bike. Waaaay more fun, albeit with with the challenges of a hard saddle! ;)