My 6 day adventure ends on day two

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
My plan was to ride to from Barrydale in the Western Cape to Seweweekspoort, Swartberg Pass, Die Hel, Baviaanspoort, Naude's nek , Sani Pass.
Day one was biking heaven along route 62 and exploring Seweweekspoort. Found a gem of a road from Calitzdorp to Kraaldorn, Kruisrivier, Matjiesrivier coming out just below the start of the Swartberg Pass. Then it was off to Die Hel. Reletively easy going until the last few kilometers where the road drops sharply down to the valley and you are forced to make hairpin turns at walking pace. The Hel is aptly named, as I soon realized that my image of a nice sunny camp site to relax on and take in the beauty turned out to be dark, shaded, sandy and dusty. I opted for the option of staying in a run down caravan. The whole experience I found to be claustrophobic and depressing.  
Day two started bright and early. Started the trek back out of Die Hel only to find that I only had 1st and 2nd gear. Kicking up from 2nd just went into a neutral gear. So from the bottom of Die Hel back to Swartberg Pass and along the pass itself and on to Prince Albert was done in 2nd. Swartberg Pass should definately be on everyones "to do" list Got hold of BMW On-Call and they dispatched a bakkie with trailer from George. Two hours later he arrived, loaded up and all went back to George. Stayed overnight in a hotel and flew back to JHB as the initial diagnosis is that the gearbox will need to be replaced (under warranty luckily) which they need to get authorization for and order. Bike might be there for a week or more. So that was the end, for now, of my big adventure :'( Below some photo's

Attachments

• IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    25.6 KB
  • IMG_1559.JPG
    IMG_1559.JPG
    19.2 KB
  • IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    37.3 KB
  • IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    32.1 KB
  • IMG_1647.JPG
    IMG_1647.JPG
    24.1 KB
Last few pic's

Attachments

• IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    70.2 KB
  • IMG_1663.JPG
    IMG_1663.JPG
    46.5 KB
  • IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    31.2 KB
  • IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    53.7 KB
I hope you get to do it all over again and finish your trip.

Wow, that's bad luck for you.....

You'll definitely have to do it again once the bike is fixed

Nice pics and scenery!  :thumleft:

Sorry about the bike though.

Tell me more about that caravan. Did you pay to sleep in it or what was the story?

Bummer Frog what mileage has the bike done .
Was looking forward to riding in Leshoto with you.
Although it has been raining for the past three days in Howick.

Hope they sort it all out nice pictures thanks.

Manic said:
Nice pics and scenery!  :thumleft:

Sorry about the bike though.

Tell me more about that caravan. Did you pay to sleep in it or what was the story?
These are at the privately run camp site.
They have about 8 caravans in amongst the trees and bushes. When I was there they charged R80.00 for the caravan or R50 rand for a camp site. The ablutions were also very run down.
There is also a Parks Board campsite as you get into the valley but the office at the site was closed and you had to make a 14km trip to the other office to pay and then another 14km back. The sites are also in the bushes and trees but the ablutions are better. Cost R140.00 for the site plus R20.00 for conservation fee

Bad luck there Frog  :(

Hope you get another chance to finish the trip.

Outhere said:
Bummer Frog what mileage has the bike done .
Was looking forward to riding in Leshoto with you.
Although it has been raining for the past three days in Howick.

Hope they sort it all out nice pictures thanks.
I didn't check but I think the bike has around 14,000km's .
I am hoping that when the bike is ready I can go collect it in George and make my way up to Willowmore to continue the planned route. I will post the new dates for Sani once I have everything confirmed.

Ama ride ride said:
Bad luck from. Hope you can finish your trip later.

I am to scared to sleep in that caravans.
Those caravans are not really to bad , I've slept there lots of times and it ads to the adventure atmosphere , there may be one or two monster spiders but hey , that's par for the course , I would rather sleep in one of those caravans than on a blowup matrass in a tent on the ground . :pot:

Ditto. That such a trip must end like that.

Did BMW also hoes for your ticket I hope?

fat b said:
Ama ride ride said:
Bad luck from. Hope you can finish your trip later.

I am to scared to sleep in that caravans.
Those caravans are not really to bad , I've slept there lots of times and it ads to the adventure atmosphere , there may be one or two monster spiders but hey , that's par for the course , I would rather sleep in one of those caravans than on a blowup matrass in a tent on the ground . :pot:

Now I'm not 'really' scared of spiders but that gave me a 'gril'....

Can just see that 3kg hairy monster waiting patiently for the next biker so it can feed it's young!  :eek:

Sorry about your bike Frog, hope she feels better soon and thank the heavens it was still under warranty.