My 6 day adventure ends on day two

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fat b said:
Ama ride ride said:
Bad luck from. Hope you can finish your trip later.

I am to scared to sleep in that caravans.
Those caravans are not really to bad , I've slept there lots of times and it ads to the adventure atmosphere , there may be one or two monster spiders but hey , that's par for the course , I would rather sleep in one of those caravans than on a blowup matrass in a tent on the ground . :pot:

Agree with Frog and Ama here. Those caravans are depressing and the ablution facilities are worse. Much rather sleep in a tent. The pioneer houses are the best but you have to book some time before you go. Will be good to get one if you are in a group.

Pity about your trip but at least BMW came to the party and there is always a next time

Hey Frog that was really bad luck . What year model is your bike ?

The way to enjoy the hell is to make sure you have a riding buddy thats company you enjoy , stop at a butchery in Oodsthoorn get them to vacum pack a couple of lekker steaks and add to this one or two bottles of good red wine.

Get to the bottom of the Hell and ride the extra 14 odd kilometers to the nature conservation office and rent one of the small cottages , I cannot remember the costs but I do not think it is more than R200 per head . You get a cottage with nice ablutions , fridge with ice in , bed with decent bedding and a lekker braai area.

Because there is no light polution down there the evening star watching is spectacular youlie on your back looking up and it almost feels as if you can touch the Milkyway. It is a once a year have to do trip just to clear your head from all the JHB bullshit.

I look forward to part two of you report once your bike has been repaired. Enjoy !

blainec said:

The way to enjoy the hell is to make sure you have a riding buddy thats company you enjoy , stop at a butchery in Oodsthoorn get them to vacum pack a couple of lekker steaks and add to this one or two bottles of good red wine.

Get to the bottom of the Hell and ride the extra 14 odd kilometers to the nature conservation office and rent one of the small cottages , I cannot remember the costs but I do not think it is more than R200 per head . You get a cottage with nice ablutions , fridge with ice in , bed with decent bedding and a lekker braai area.

Because there is no light polution down there the evening star watching is spectacular youlie on your back looking up and it almost feels as if you can touch the Milkyway. It is a once a year have to do trip just to clear your head from all the JHB bullshit.

I look forward to part two of you report once your bike has been repaired. Enjoy !

Thanks very much, you have just painted such a fantastic picture that I just want to book leave that I havnt got and head South. It sounds like Heaven down there.
Back to work , sob  :'(

blainec said:

The bike is a 2007 model.
The cottage sounds lekker if you are in a group. I would be just as happy with a nice piece of lawn to pitch a tent and decent ablutions.
Will definately complete the trip as soon as the bike is up and running

Hey Frog, sorry to hear your trip was cut short - was looking forward to the "full" report. Oh well, as someone else has already said, shit happens. Hope that your plan to continue the trip when you collect the bike pans out - should be awesome. Good luck.

Sorry about the bike D.

Gears *sigh* - you get a whole box full, but no spares  ???

But the bit done looked great  ;D

Having to overcome obstacles and problems is part of the adventure. You have to look on the bright side. Being stuck in Die Hel with only 1st & 2nd gear is a lot better then being stuck there with only 5th & 6th :D

drewdza said:
Hey Frog, sorry to hear your trip was cut short - was looking forward to the "full" report. Oh well, as someone else has already said, shit happens. Hope that your plan to continue the trip when you collect the bike pans out - should be awesome. Good luck.
Thanks. We must organise a ride again some time.

Yip, must make a plan - you off to the Boegoeberg bash?

Yeah, thinking about it. Its a difficult time of the year for me to get away and if I go I want to take 4 or 5 days (not just rush there and rush back)....will have to make a decision soon.

PM or email mail your plans. Maby we can put something together.

Frog said:
Having to overcome obstacles and problems is part of the adventure. You have to look on the bright side. Being stuck in Die Hel with only 1st & 2nd gear is a lot better then being stuck there with only 5th & 6th :D

+1..... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well its just bad luck,but look at it this way youre getting a brandnew box for youre 07 model.... :mwink: :biggrin: :biggrin:
And rather now than a couple of months down the line when its outta warranty... :thumleft: :thumleft:

The TRANSPORTER said:
Frog said:

+1..... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well its just bad luck,but look at it this way youre getting a brandnew box for youre 07 model.... :mwink: :biggrin: :biggrin:
And rather now than a couple of months down the line when its outta warranty... :thumleft: :thumleft:
Just been confirmed that BMW are ordering a brand new gearbox to replace the current one. Only problem is that it is coming from Germany and will only arrive in about 10 days. Worth the wait though :thumleft:

I think I saw you and the bike at the co-op in Prince Albert.

Did not see any WD stickers so did not introduce myself...... bad.

Kobus said:
I think I saw you and the bike at the co-op in Prince Albert.

Did not see any WD stickers so did not introduce myself...... bad.
Yes that was me. I only have a WD sticker on my helmet, so it would not have been that visible