my abs issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
So i can never say dont buy bm cos i quite love my bm, but i can say that in my opinion any bm I buy in the future will be abs less even if I have to wait 3 months for said bike to pitch from the father or is that mother land. So my tale of woe goes like this. 80k of regular routine maintenance etc with no real worries apart from crashbars, rear subframe, front sub frame, gear levers and rear brake caliper....much of which could be atributed to my mundane offroad skills and attempting part of gs challenge red routes and things in that vein (but i now take my pills religously and am cured ...promise).
anyway 80k service comes in at 4k due to all exciting things like rear wheel bearings or final drive bearings or something, alternator belt(quite cheap really) and I dont quite remember what all else , side stand bush ,oil in various forms and guises cos 80k does it all I believe, rear brake pads(organic). And another 1k outstanding due to waiting for mainstand plates to fix my mainstand which apparently that really big rock i may have hit at sometime could have broken (all true I tell you). But the main point is this ABS error I have been getting off and on where I am riding and the ABS resets itself, mostly on long, high speed trips and no braking is actually lost, until last week when this happened whilst in peak hour traffic and all of a sudden only residual braking was left ...man adrenaline is definately brown. This has happened twice since then and as part of the 80k service I asked BM to investigate this issue.
Diagnosis is that something called the ABS modulator is shot and needs to be replaced ........... at a cost of 19k which is pretty much 1/5th of the origonal price of the bike. I am trying to source a second hand one or even if it can be rebuilt or by passed totally but at this stage it looks like replace new and I must be honest i am shattered at this and the cost.
I have tried switching off the ABS as if I am off road but this does not seem to help with the problem re-occuring on my way home yesterday.
In a moment of weakness I thought about trading scoot on a ktm or new gs adventure but like earl I believe in Karma and couldnt have a clear conscience that some one will pay 70 or 80k to BM or KTM to buy my problems and maybe kill themselves if they lose braking at a very inoportune moment.
So I now sit that 80k down the road i need to spend 20k to keep my bike on the road(even looked at prices in u.s and they not so different)...that sucks. I have loved the abs and the insurance and wet stopping that it gives you but at 20k every couple years I dont think so. ps apparently the k1200s/r/gt abs modulator is closer to 40k to replace
Kevin
pps rear brake pads have never lasted me longer then 10 or 12k a set