My Kove 450 Rally February 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baie geluk Bart.
Nou wil ons bietjie modder op daai bike sien.

Nou wil ons bietjie modder op daai bike sien.

Fokkit, ons het nie ontmoet nie maar ek laaik jou klaar (y)
More gaan ek die Kanaalpaaie ry (ek weet, moffiemaklik maar ek moet hom inry) van Harties af, by Beestekraal n middagvrete doen ("burp"), en dan terug via die ander kanaalpaaie set.... en daar erens is ook n kort watercrossing (hopelik is daar genoeg water...) - so as ek terug kom is dit dan tyd vir die eerste wash! 👌

More gaan ek die Kanaalpaaie ry (ek weet, moffiemaklik maar ek moet hom inry) van Harties af, by Beestekraal n middagvrete doen ("burp"), en dan terug via die ander kanaalpaaie set.... en daar erens is ook n kort watercrossing (hopelik is daar genoeg water...) - so as ek terug kom is dit dan tyd vir die eerste wash! 👌
Ek wonder nogal hoeveel modder by die oil cooler kan uit kom of maak die bashplate home helemal toe?

As ek nie moes werk nie sou ek jou ge-join het.

Ek wonder nogal hoeveel modder by die oil cooler kan uit kom of maak die bashplate home helemal toe?

Nooit, natuurlik nie..... hy moet dan lug vent/stroom om alli goeters cool te hou?
Daar sal beslis 'goed' deur die slots gaan (net soos met elke ander bike), maarrrr..... jy haal die bashplate los met 5 skroefies!
Dan was, sit terug en Selna is weer jou Tannie 😋

I made a few pics today, see below - the petcock I installed underneath the rear tank so as to 'keep' this 12 Liters separate if I want to do this.
Handy I think, and neat enough - and as said, you can operate this easily, even with a scorching hot exhaust (y)

View attachment 878573

Tap open...

View attachment 878574

Tap closed.
So it does not suck that tank dry first like aftermarket add on fuel tanks?

So it does not suck that tank dry first like aftermarket add on fuel tanks?

Huh?
If you mean the rear tank's fuel will be used first (keeping the side tanks full) then a very loud NO! - that will not happen at all - as all 3 tanks are interconnected, so the engine will use 'all' tanks until dry.

But, on the KOVE 450 the rear tank's outlet/bottom sits marginally above the bottom of the two side tanks - so yeah, it will be the first tank to be 'dry' - but by then you'll have VERY little left in the side tanks, because this height-difference is very little.

If you want to fill all 3 tanks to the brim and then first use the fuel in the rear tank (so keeping the dual side tanks full!) then you will need to do quite a few - drastic!- modifications, for reason the fuelpump (fuel-gauge element also) sits in the LHS side tank!
I'm sure this can be done in some way, but you rather than me..... but why would you want this???

What I plan on doing is, close the petcock to the rear tank when it has only a few liters of fuel in.
This fuel will thus remain in the rear tank, and I will be able to use that fuel as a manual-reserve or last resort (by opening the tap of course) - but I'll only use it for that!
The 'normal' petrol goes into the dual side tanks, and this is 18 liters so should suffice for most if not all trips (y)

Only for very long trips I would fill the rear tank also, and then I'd probably ride with the tap open so as to spread the weight over both wheels.... and I just might close the tap when I see (on the fuel gauge) that the rear is getting empty-enough so as to 'keep' a few liters there as reserve.

Last edited:
As an addition to my above post, there may be a few who will remark that the petrol I leave in the rear tank will go off over time!

Correct, petrol will go off if kept there for too long.... but there's an easy solution to this:

From time to time ride the main tanks almost-dry or completely-dry, then open the rear's tap so you can get to a fuel station.
There you park the bike on a steepish downhill so the rear tank will empty itself into the dual side tanks - and when finished you close the tap.
Then you perhaps put a few liters of fresh petrol in the rear tank again when you fill up the side tanks.
Simple... (y)

Ek gaan eers Saterday die trip ry - omrede ek kry more n agtertandwiel wat ek dan eers wil opsit natuurlik.
As jy lus vir dit is dan gooi my n PM met jou foonnommer?
Ek sou regtig baie graag wou saam.Timing is damn sleg. Ek het Saterdag Gauteng Karate Championships en Sondag vlieg ek Kaap toe.

As an addition to my above post, there may be a few who will remark that the petrol I leave in the rear tank will go off over time!

Correct, petrol will go off if kept there for too long.... but there's an easy solution to this:

From time to time ride the main tanks almost-dry or completely-dry, then open the rear's tap so you can get to a fuel station.
There you park the bike on a steepish downhill so the rear tank will empty itself into the dual side tanks - and when finished you close the tap.
Then you perhaps put a few liters of fresh petrol in the rear tank again when you fill up the side tanks.
Simple... (y)
I have a similar system on my 690, also 3 tanks but pump in the reat tank, can isolate all as needed, when Im doing remote trips I run rear tank only and eaqualise whenever I stop for a piss or a walk about, fuel flows through pretty quick and that way I compromise between balancing the fuel in the bike vs not losing everything if a fuel line gets damaged

I saw a video where on the Desert X with the extra side tanks it has a pump system whereby you can transfer fuel between the tanks on the fly, or at least from the rear to the front, that is pretty nifty.

Huh?
If you mean the rear tank's fuel will be used first (keeping the side tanks full) then a very loud NO! - that will not happen at all - as all 3 tanks are interconnected, so the engine will use 'all' tanks until dry.

But, on the KOVE 450 the rear tank's outlet/bottom sits marginally above the bottom of the two side tanks - so yeah, it will be the first tank to be 'dry' - but by then you'll have VERY little left in the side tanks, because this height-difference is very little.

If you want to fill all 3 tanks to the brim and then first use the fuel in the rear tank (so keeping the dual side tanks full!) then you will need to do quite a few - drastic!- modifications, for reason the fuelpump (fuel-gauge element also) sits in the LHS side tank!
I'm sure this can be done in some way, but you rather than me..... but why would you want this???

What I plan on doing is, close the petcock to the rear tank when it has only a few liters of fuel in.
This fuel will thus remain in the rear tank, and I will be able to use that fuel as a manual-reserve or last resort (by opening the tap of course) - but I'll only use it for that!
The 'normal' petrol goes into the dual side tanks, and this is 18 liters so should suffice for most if not all trips (y)

Only for very long trips I would fill the rear tank also, and then I'd probably ride with the tap open so as to spread the weight over both wheels.... and I just might close the tap when I see (on the fuel gauge) that the rear is getting empty-enough so as to 'keep' a few liters there as reserve.
Ok Understood. If its fed by gravity then will be fine, The Aux tank on my AT was mounted inside of a pannier rack and was connected to the breather on the main tank, so as fuel pump pulled fuel out of the main tanks, instead of air being sucked in the breather it sucked fuel from aux tank first, so that one always emptied first.

I have a similar system on my 690, also 3 tanks but pump in the reat tank, can isolate all as needed, when Im doing remote trips I run rear tank only and eaqualise whenever I stop for a piss or a walk about, fuel flows through pretty quick and that way I compromise between balancing the fuel in the bike vs not losing everything if a fuel line gets damaged

I saw a video where on the Desert X with the extra side tanks it has a pump system whereby you can transfer fuel between the tanks on the fly, or at least from the rear to the front, that is pretty nifty.

I hear both of you - but, on a 690(701) there's heaps of space to route additional fuel lines first of all, with a few taps & filters also if you like.
Dunno the Ducati but I'm sure that 'distributing weight' is a bit more crucial on such a heavy bike, plus yeah, it's full of gizmos already, so why not ask for a lil fanciness hmm?
The KOVE 450 is a lot smaller bike, and built compact there where it matters - around the engine especially, there's little room for additional stuff I reckon.

But again, why would you want more than that lone additional petcock I put in?
I'll keep the rear tank nigh on empty normally save for ~2 liters, as my front's 18 liters will suffice for almost all trips - and then the engine with tanks will form a nice centralized gravity center I reckon, it'll be like any other plastic bike.
Plus, if you load some luggage on (the rear of course) then you'll have some additional weight on the rear already.
As said, only for really long trips in the unknown I'll fill the rear tank, it's silly to do this always.
Mind you, for those not asking for this additional petcock - nothing wrong with as all fuel will 'spread' into the three tanks, just don't fill it up completely every time as you'll make the bike unnecessary heavy!

If its fed by gravity then will be fine

Yip it is (y)
The nice thing about gravity is it doesn't break, hence the pump, sitting literally at the very bottom, only has to chase the fuel to the injector, and not suck fuel over any height!