My new XRR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
So I have had my faithful KLR for just on 6 years now and besides the odd puncture she has never let me down once.

I have been really happy with this KLR and I have to say that KLR's are probably the most under-rated bikes around, they will get you anywhere and get you home again at the end of the ride.

But when I saw RedWolf's XRR advertised on  the WD for sale section I knew I had to have it. Unfortunately I didn't have the cash lying around so I knew I would have to sell my KLR as well as my KDX, which is also a great bike and has served me well but is sadly under-utilized of late. I was in a bit of a fix, as it would have been impossible to sell both bikes in time to secure the deal, but then my good mate Philemon on the forum came to my rescue and offered me bridging finance for the XRR until I could get my bikes sold.

Anyway, things happened pretty quickly, and Saturday morning arrived and i went to collect my new bike from Timefreight in Pmb, thanks Wooly Bugger for the lift. RedWolf kindly sent me a long list of procedures that had to be followed to get the bike started. I followed these instructions to the letter, and voila, after a couple of kicks the engine came to life.

Unfortunately due to kids sport commitments I couldn't use the bike much on saturday, so I decided to go for a decent solo ride on Sunday so I could bond properly with my new baby.

Been reading about quite a few Sani rides recently, so I decided that is where I will head, as I haven't been up there for a month or two.

Left home at about 07h00 headed past Midmar then through the Dargle Forest (where I got a bit lost), then onto Impendle and then onto the Lower Lotheni road.

DSC03270.jpg

Got to the border post quite early, so there were not too many vehicles on the pass, just the usual couple of 4WD's

DSC03273.jpg

DSC03274.jpg

The pass was in a fair condition, definitely not a gravel highway, but very far from the worst I have seen it.

I used to think my KLR was about the best bike for riding up Sani, but this XR really makes it feel like cheating it is so easy. The bike has huge low down power and simply idles over whatever obstacles there are.

DSC03278.jpg

DSC03280.jpg

DSC03281.jpg

I got to the top of the pass pretty quickly and decided not to clear customs into Lesotho, so I just turned around at the Lesotho border control and took a slow ride back down.

DSC03282.jpg

DSC03284.jpg

DSC03285.jpg

Got back home just after lunch, really enjoyed the bike, I think we are well on our way to bonding properly.  ;D

A few thoughts comparing the XRR to the KLR:

- the KLR is obviously electric start while the XR needs to be kicked. I never had a problem kick starting the XR, it mostly started with just one kick.

- the power of the KLR cannot be compared to the XR, there is a huge difference here.

- the seat on the XR is terrible, I found myself standing far more than I ever did on the KLR, maybe a good thing?

- no wind protection on the XR, I really missed the KLR's screen

- missed the range of the KLR, normally would have done this trip without having to stop for juice, whereas had to stop on the XR and fill up in Underberg, even with a long range tank. Consumption was ok, but I was not hammering it, did 238 km on 12litres, which is just under 20km/liter

In summary, I think this bike is a keeper.

:thumleft: Congrats and many many happy miles and smiles !!!
That XR sure knows the RSA very well !!!

Attachments

• XRR.JPG
    XRR.JPG
    258.2 KB
  • XRRR.JPG
    XRRR.JPG
    294 KB
n Kort en kragtige R&R en Bike report..Lekker man,geniet daai fiets  :thumleft:

JonW said:
A few thoughts comparing the XRR to the KLR:

- the KLR is obviously electric start while the XR needs to be kicked. I never had a problem kick starting the XR, it mostly started with just one kick.

- the power of the KLR cannot be compared to the XR, there is a huge difference here.

- the seat on the XR is terrible, I found myself standing far more than I ever did on the KLR, maybe a good thing?

- no wind protection on the XR, I really missed the KLR's screen

- missed the range of the KLR, normally would have done this trip without having to stop for juice, whereas had to stop on the XR and fill up in Underberg, even with a long range tank. Consumption was ok, but I was not hammering it, did 238 km on 12litres, which is just under 20km/liter

In summary, I think this bike is a keeper.

First of all congratulations ( again ) what a lovely bike and what a beautiful backdrop to display her beauty . :drif: :drif: :drif:

You said the power of the KLR and the XR cannot be compared ?, does that mean the XR is much more powerful , and is that applicaple to low down and top end power ? And tar and off -road or more off-road ?

And you say the seat is uncomfortable , is that easily fixable? And I presume one can put on a screen and bigger tank ?

But it does sound like the XR is a great bike for any kind of technical riding , almost like cheating you say . Mmmm what more can a person ask . :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: 

Welcome to the club  :thumleft: :thumleft:

you have an amazing bike there..  :laughing4: no need to convince us that it is a great bike !! may you have many happy Km's on her.

A bigger screen is easily organised for a bit of wind protection if you miss it.

the fuel consumption is not that of a KLR but then again neither is the power..

Congrats on the new purchase!! I am almost getting jealous now. XRR - just the right thing for a blast up a Pass  :ricky:
Anyways, hope i and my connections may have the pleasure of seeing you and new to you XRR on one of the KZN rides. Enjoy bru.

Buks said:
:thumleft: Congrats and many many happy miles and smiles !!!
That XR sure knows the RSA very well !!!

Thanks Buks

Really enjoying her, hopefully I can take her to some places she hasn't been yet

Rynet said:
First of all congratulations ( again ) what a lovely bike and what a beautiful backdrop to display her beauty . :drif: :drif: :drif:

You said the power of the KLR and the XR cannot be compared ?, does that mean the XR is much more powerful , and is that applicaple to low down and top end power ? And tar and off -road or more off-road ?

And you say the seat is uncomfortable , is that easily fixable? And I presume one can put on a screen and bigger tank ?

But it does sound like the XR is a great bike for any kind of technical riding , almost like cheating you say . Mmmm what more can a person ask . :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: 

Thanks again Rynet  :biggrin:

The XR is significantly more powerful than the KLR, both in terms of low down power and top end power. There is nothing wrong with the KLR's lowdown power, that is one of the things I enjoyed about the KLR was the ability to putt along a track at 50 -60 in 5th gear. The XR does this too, but when you are putting along in 5th gear and you turn the throttle the XR takes off like a scalded cat and will pull strongly all the way up to 170.

The XR is definitely more comfortable off road than the KLR, much lighter and much stiffer suspension.

My XR does have a 16 litre long range tank, so doubt I will change that for a bigger one, but I really was spoiled with the KLR's 23 litre capacity. As for the seat, I don't think there is too much I can do about that, will look at options for a screen because having the ability to cruise at 140 is great , but i wind buffeting makes it unpleasant then I should get it sorted. 

I still mis mine. Use a screen from a Dakar, or even the Givi ones, and you'll be cruising the open road at 160km/h on the gps quickly, ok, mine was abit souped up.

Just give that seat a bit of padding and you'll never want another bike again, that is if you don't have to pillion, the reason I sold mine.

But other than that, you won'tr get  a better dual sport!

Rynet said:
And tar and off -road or more off-road ?
And you say the seat is uncomfortable , is that easily fixable?
And I presume one can put on a screen and bigger tank ?
The BRP is more off-road orientated, but can cruise on tar all day at 130-140kph......
Your backside will protest after a few hours, but coffee breaks make it more bearable
More comfortable seats are available, usually expensive though.....
Easiest & cheapest option would be to re-shape, re-pad & re-cover the existing seat with the help of an upholsterer
Screens & mini-fairings can be fitted at a reasonable cost
Bigger tanks available from Acerbis, Safari Tanks & IMS (www.justgastanks.com)

JonW said:
Rynet said:

Thanks again Rynet  :biggrin:

The XR is significantly more powerful than the KLR, both in terms of low down power and top end power. There is nothing wrong with the KLR's lowdown power, that is one of the things I enjoyed about the KLR was the ability to putt along a track at 50 -60 in 5th gear. The XR does this too, but when you are putting along in 5th gear and you turn the throttle the XR takes off like a scalded cat and will pull strongly all the way up to 170.

The XR is definitely more comfortable off road than the KLR, much lighter and much stiffer suspension.

My XR does have a 16 litre long range tank, so doubt I will change that for a bigger one, but I really was spoiled with the KLR's 23 litre capacity. As for the seat, I don't think there is too much I can do about that, will look at options for a screen because having the ability to cruise at 140 is great , but i wind buffeting makes it unpleasant then I should get it sorted. 
JonW, as for the seat, maybe have a look at this too:
www.xrsonly.com/dirt-bike-parts-1/honda-dirt-bike-parts/honda-xr-models/honda-xr650r/guts-racing-seat-foam-honda-xr650r-height-stock

Wow, 20km/l is awesome for a XR. I never managed to get more than 15... :peepwall:.

Seeing that pictures of the bike in the mountains makes me sad, mad and glad. Sad that I didn't took the photo, mad at myself for selling her and glad that you are enjoying her and using her for what she was made for... :thumleft:

FWIW

Check out this RR,

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=98362.0

and this one:

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=97854.0

both has this screen fitted

https://www.rallyraid.co.uk/shop/proddetail.php?prod=RRXR650F

and makes a world of difference.

When people ask me "Can your bike cruise all day at 120-130, I was hesitant in saying yes, for no other reason than I did not...I'm sure the bike would have no problem, but the ergonomics is that of a plastic, and became uncomfortable over longish distances at speeds of more than 110.

After fitting the screen, I rode my bike from Springbok, van Rhyns, Niewoudtsville down the Cederberg to Stellenbosch (about 600km) in one go , only stopping to fill up. My bike doesn't have a speedo, and for some reason the GPS cig lighter connection failed.

When I got to VanRhynsdorp, I bought two penlights for my GPS, and once up to my cruising speed, switched it on to see what I was doing (I was curious, as towns came up more quickly than I thought they should  -  I do ETA calcs mentally when I ride boring roads, keeps me awake)

Lo and behold, my GPS switched on at 132km/h.

Also, with a bit of windprotection, it is as if the seat is more comfortable (maybe because you are not constantly forced back, hiding behind the fairing)

Anyways, from the RR, where you are riding - very nice bike. Enjoy.

Edit  I have the guts seat mentioned in RW post.

I got it as I'm tall, and it is a bit higher than the standard seat, giving a bit of space between the top of the seat and the footpegs, but to be quite frank, it is not really more comfortable on the bum than the standard seat.

If you are interested, purchase it from thumper talk... a lot cheaper, as a matter of fact, you can buy it complete there (pan, foam upholstered with a gripper cover for less than a R1000 (shipping excluded) -  speaking under correction, it was long ago.

RedWolf said:
Wow, 20km/l is awesome for a XR. I never managed to get more than 15... :peepwall:.

Ja but you probably never rode her like a wimp like I did yesterday  :ricky:

Haha Beserker did not take you long to find this thread .  :biggrin:  >:D
and thanks for the links .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

But yes must admit just reading this thread and the pics Jon posted it does look like it's an awesome bike  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Esp if the seat is made softer . Now if only I can get that kickstart right  ???

Thanks for the advice and the link to that site Beserker, i think that screen is a must.

I reckon that screen will make a big difference. Yesterday when I got back after the ride my for-arms were aching, something that has never happened to me before.

I think this must be from the wind forcing me back combined with the arm pulling power of the XR which I never had with the KLR.

Rynet said:
Haha Beserker did not take you long to find this thread .  :biggrin:  >:D
and thanks for the links .   :thumleft: :thumleft:

But yes must admit just reading this thread and the pics Jon posted it does look like it's an awesome bike  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Esp if the seat is made softer . Now if only I can get that kickstart right  ???

Rynet, except for initially starting the bike when I collected it at the couriers where I did have to kick it quite a few times, with Wooly Bugger watching me and having a good chuckle, it really has not been a problem to start.

Starting from cold took a couple of kicks, starting from hot took mostly one kick, very occasionally two.

I do think it will be a different story starting her after having dropped her or flooded her.

Having a kick start is also quite re-assuring to me. I remember once on a solo ride half-way up a muddy slippery Ongeluksnek Pass and the KLR battery went flat. Luckily I was able to junp start it, but it was touch and go. Would have been a very long walk out.