My new XRR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonW said:
Rynet said:
Haha Beserker did not take you long to find this thread .  :biggrin:  >:D
and thanks for the links .   :thumleft: :thumleft:

But yes must admit just reading this thread and the pics Jon posted it does look like it's an awesome bike  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Esp if the seat is made softer . Now if only I can get that kickstart right  ???

Rynet, except for initially starting the bike when I collected it at the couriers where I did have to kick it quite a few times, with Wooly Bugger watching me and having a good chuckle, it really has not been a problem to start.

Starting from cold took a couple of kicks, starting from hot took mostly one kick, very occasionally two.

I do think it will be a different story starting her after having dropped her or flooded her.

Having a kick start is also quite re-assuring to me. I remember once on a solo ride half-way up a muddy slippery Ongeluksnek Pass and the KLR battery went flat. Luckily I was able to junp start it, but it was touch and go. Would have been a very long walk out.

Thanks Jon .  :thumleft: I supposes it is that 5 % of times after it has flooded and one is stuggling, that I am worried about , but I guess to calm down , let go of the throttle and to take it easy is the way to go ( as Dux said somewhere else )

And yes it is reassuring that the batteries do not just stop without any prior warning as they do on the BMW's .  :thumleft:

Just don't touch the throttle!!!!

Choke open, trap deur tot jy TDC kry, let it come up and kick it, starts every time first time. Remeber to close the choke, it cuts out after about 50m if the choke is left open! Tie a string to the choke to pull it down easily after opening it upwards.

Beserker said:
JonW said:
.. i think that screen is a must.

Contact Runner, he might still have.

If not, I'm thinking of ordering one here in the UK as the factory is quite close to where I live
I can forward one to you, if you're interested......

zacapa said:
Congrats on the new purchase!! I am almost getting jealous now. XRR - just the right thing for a blast up a Pass  :ricky:
Anyways, hope i and my connections may have the pleasure of seeing you and new to you XRR on one of the KZN rides. Enjoy bru.
Thanks zacapa, I am sure I will see you on a ride soon.

Rynet said:
JonW said:
Rynet said:
Haha Beserker did not take you long to find this thread .  :biggrin:  >:D
and thanks for the links .   :thumleft: :thumleft:

But yes must admit just reading this thread and the pics Jon posted it does look like it's an awesome bike  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Esp if the seat is made softer . Now if only I can get that kickstart right  ???

Rynet, except for initially starting the bike when I collected it at the couriers where I did have to kick it quite a few times, with Wooly Bugger watching me and having a good chuckle, it really has not been a problem to start.

Starting from cold took a couple of kicks, starting from hot took mostly one kick, very occasionally two.

I do think it will be a different story starting her after having dropped her or flooded her.

Having a kick start is also quite re-assuring to me. I remember once on a solo ride half-way up a muddy slippery Ongeluksnek Pass and the KLR battery went flat. Luckily I was able to junp start it, but it was touch and go. Would have been a very long walk out.

Thanks Jon .  :thumleft: I supposes it is that 5 % of times after it has flooded and one is stuggling, that I am worried about , but I guess to calm down , let go of the throttle and to take it easy is the way to go ( as Dux said somewhere else )

And yes it is reassuring that the batteries do not just stop without any prior warning as they do on the BMW's .  :thumleft:

Rynet, have you ever kickstarted an R my dear?

Everytime there is a thread on XRR's you mention the kickstart, no matter how many XRR owners don't see a problem with the kickstart it always seems to become an issue for non XRR owners..

Find an XRR, take it for a spin, stop it, kickstart it, ride it , stop, kickstart.. then just buy one already. You know you want to  :laughing4:

PS: The XRR does not have a battery.. another reason to get one.. no electrical issues !!

Tuareg said:
Beserker said:
JonW said:
.. i think that screen is a must.

Contact Runner, he might still have.

If not, I'm thinking of ordering one here in the UK as the factory is quite close to where I live
I can forward one to you, if you're interested......

Jon, if you take up this offer I will be willing to look at cost sharing on shipping with you, I am looking at a few screen options at the moment for mine.

I was looking at this one, made by a guy in the USA, he is on AV Rider, but the cost of shipping was silly, something like $800

650rfrontfairing.jpg

Fuzzy Muzzy said:

Everytime there is a thread on XRR's you mention the kickstart, no matter how many XRR owners don't see a problem with the kickstart it always seems to become an issue for non XRR owners..

Find an XRR, take it for a spin, stop it, kickstart it, ride it , stop, kickstart.. then just buy one already. You know you want to  :laughing4:

PS: The XRR does not have a battery.. another reason to get one.. no electrical issues !!
Yes Fuzzy , I tried Tour's one in 2010 and kicked and kicked , but could not get it right, so could not take it for a spin as what if I stalled it? .

And at the Breede River Bash late last year , I tried to kick start Stroke Her's XR but could not for the life of me get it right . He started it for me and it was a real pleasure to ride  . But when I stopped in the veld , and tried to kick her myself I flooded her , and then Woestersous , who was riding with me , took ages to get her going again. It did not look like fun.

I am not very mechanically minded and don't really understand how the engine and the "stop here" and choke and all those goeters work , that's probably half the problem . The other half is that I am scared I will hurt myself .

But the more I read about the XR , the more lus I feel for getting one . It does tick all the other boxes for me .

Rynet said:
Fuzzy Muzzy said:
Rynet said:
JonW said:
Rynet said:
Haha Beserker did not take you long to find this thread .  :biggrin:  >:D
and thanks for the links .   :thumleft: :thumleft:

But yes must admit just reading this thread and the pics Jon posted it does look like it's an awesome bike  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Esp if the seat is made softer . Now if only I can get that kickstart right  ???

Thanks Jon .  :thumleft: I supposes it is that 5 % of times after it has flooded and one is stuggling, that I am worried about , but I guess to calm down , let go of the throttle and to take it easy is the way to go ( as Dux said somewhere else )

And yes it is reassuring that the batteries do not just stop without any prior warning as they do on the BMW's .  :thumleft:

Yes Fuzzy , I tried Tour's one in 2011 and kicked and kicked , but could not get it right, so could not take it for a spin as what if I stalled it .

And at the Breede River Bash late last year , I tried to kick start Woestersous ' XR but could not for the life of me get it right . He and Stroke Her started it for me and it was a real pleasure to ride  . But when I stopped in the veld , and tried to kick her myself I flooded her , and then Woestersous himself took ages to get her going again. It did not look like fun.

I am not very mechanically minded and don't really understand how the engine and the "stop here" and choke and all those goeters work , that's probably half the problem . The other half is that I am scared I will hurt myself .

But the more I read about the XR , the more lus I feel for getting one . It does tick all the other boxes for me .
Rynet, get an XR for R40k and do the electric starter convertion for R12k, then you have a very capable, light bike with electric start for less than R55k.

RedWolf said:
Rynet, get an XR for R40k and do the electric starter convertion for R12k, then you have a very capable, light bike with electric start for less than R55k.
[/quote]

Yes that is a good idea, thanks Red Wolf.  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Sorry if this is a high-jack , but how would the XR 650 R compare with the WR 450 ?

Rynet said:
....Woestersous ' XR but could not for the life of me get it right . He and Stroke Her started it for me and it was a real pleasure to ride  . But when I stopped in the veld , and tried to kick her myself I flooded her , and then Woestersous himself took ages to get her going again. It did not look like fun.

Mentioning those two skurminkels in the same sentence is the first clue..

The second clue is, go see what they ride now (I'll give you two hints....1) you influenced (contaminated) them. 2) The tank badge looks like a propeller and apparently it is a matter of "Geen Sand"  for them now..  :imaposer: )

Beserker said:
Rynet said:
....Woestersous ' XR but could not for the life of me get it right . He and Stroke Her started it for me and it was a real pleasure to ride  . But when I stopped in the veld , and tried to kick her myself I flooded her , and then Woestersous himself took ages to get her going again. It did not look like fun.

Mentioning those two skurminkels in the same sentence is the first clue..

The second clue is, go see what they ride now (I'll give you two hints....1) you influenced (contaminated) them. 2) The tank badge looks like a propeller and apparently it is a matter of "Geen Sand"  for them now..   :imaposer: )

:imaposer: :imaposer:
ag no man , Woestersous and Stroke Her are lekker guys . :thumleft:

And hehe they only got the tankers because they have to commute from Worcester to Cape Town .  They still have their plastics. I am also keeping my BMW tanker , as they are just so very very nice .  :ricky:

Ja....absoluut geen sand meer vir my nie!!! Wel nie meer op n XRR nie :imaposer: KTM300 is vir nou my projektiel van keuse vir die sand >:D

Loved my Xaar...but also rode my Xaar lots, unlike others I know who cleans and maintain the Xaar more than what they ride it. When ridden lots she is a thirsty and temperamental bitch that needs oil, tyres, sprocket n chain and valve checks often.

Lovely Baja bike...kak adv bike :eek:

Dave now that you are done with that wooden spoon...when are you joining us at Macassar again? Or is the old Xaar in pieces again?

Congratulations on your purchase JonW, I've been looking into XRR seat options for a while now and these are two of the better ones I've found. Not cheap but the product looks very good. Nate Fisher is also a very helpful guy :thumleft:

https://fishersaddlebags.com/seats.html

https://justgastanks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1526

Stroke Her said:
Dave now that you are done with that wooden spoon...when are you joining us at Macassar again? Or is the old Xaar in pieces again?

:imaposer:

Got two new projects taking shape...let me put it this way, the one will make Angola look like a walk in the park, and the other will be a surprise delux at Macasser.

So to answer your question...soon, and looking forward to it.

JonW

get used to it...nothing causes a thread to be hijacked like the mere mention of an XR.

Funnily enough, you will notice that 80% of the high jackers does not even ride XR's.

Well done Jon
Great bike for a lekka oke
Many many happy gazillions of miles on her
Looking forward to all the ride reports and perhaps going on a ride in the dargle with you sooner rather than later
Ride safe and stay well