My new XRR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool scoot and thanks for letting me take it for a spin............ :thumleft:

Congrats Jon.............. Your new machine looks great. I wish you many miles of smiles.

Cant wait for a ride together soon. :thumleft:

Nice Jonw glad you made it home for lunch not really like you hey must be that extra power.

Sorry was not around for maiden voyage.

Congrates

Wooly Bugger said:

No man jon
You let woolly take ur bike for a spin
Damage ?
Did you need to pick it up off the ground for him........
:imaposer:

Crop Sprang said:
Wooly Bugger said:

No man jon
Damage ?

Ha ha ha Paul, Wooly handled the XR like an old hand.

But even if he did drop it, it's not the kind of bike that would show it.

So when you coming back to SA for a visit and a ride?

Thanks all for the good wishes.

I am really enjoying this bike, I was happy with my KLR for 6 years so I guess I will keep this bike forever  ;D

Crop Sprang said:
Wooly Bugger said:

No man jon
Damage ?

fark you, uncle.......... :biggrin:
jirre, that thing goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 2012 XR has an electric starter.

Mzee said:
wEFwK.png

Mzee said:

So does my 2006 KLR

And your point?

JonW, always lekker to read about someone falling in love with a new bike!  :thumleft:

I've never been lucky enough to ride an XRR, but it seems one of those classics that folks will still be talking about 20 years from now.

When I hear or see anything about the 650 R, I get all tingly ....

I have a heavily modified one - love it. Bought a second one with the goal of doing the roof about 5 years ago but got too busy....plus, I think a CRF 450 or KTM 450 would be easier.

I'm offended when someone mentions the 650R and the 650L in the same sentence....the R was built with ONE goal: to win the Baja 1000, which it dominated until Honda brought out the CRF450. The L is a knock-off of the mid-90's air-cooled 600....not in the same league. Not by a LONG shot.

The 650R is not a playbike - although it plays well with others  :biggrin: And it will k@k all over anything even remotely similar - especially in long-distance, high speed type rides....like the Baja 1000. And it won't break, unless you open up the engine and mess with it. But who would? Johnny Campbell's racebikes' engines were stock - had enough power for him  :evil6:

Jon, has this bike been "opened up" ie. rejetted, and all the performance-sucking rubbish removed? May I suggest putting an aluminium pipe on it?

It puts 60 HP to the ground in opened up condition - fun and scary. And despite the horror stories out there, it's easy to start - if you know the drill with the decompression lever and how to find TDC.

Do you have a copy of "Dust to Glory"? If not let me know - have about 5 lying around at my dad's house....bought them specifically to give to XR owners  :biggrin:

Whethefakawe said:
When I hear or see anything about the 650 R, I get all tingly ....

I have a heavily modified one - love it. Bought a second one with the goal of doing the roof about 5 years ago but got too busy....plus, I think a CRF 450 or KTM 450 would be easier.

I'm offended when someone mentions the 650R and the 650L in the same sentence....the R was built with ONE goal: to win the Baja 1000, which it dominated until Honda brought out the CRF450. The L is a knock-off of the mid-90's air-cooled 600....not in the same league. Not by a LONG shot.

The 650R is not a playbike - although it plays well with others  :biggrin: And it will k@k all over anything even remotely similar - especially in long-distance, high speed type rides....like the Baja 1000. And it won't break, unless you open up the engine and mess with it. But who would? Johnny Campbell's racebikes' engines were stock - had enough power for him  :evil6:

Jon, has this bike been "opened up" ie. rejetted, and all the performance-sucking rubbish removed? May I suggest putting an aluminium pipe on it?

It puts 60 HP to the ground in opened up condition - fun and scary. And despite the horror stories out there, it's easy to start - if you know the drill with the decompression lever and how to find TDC.

Do you have a copy of "Dust to Glory"? If not let me know - have about 5 lying around at my dad's house....bought them specifically to give to XR owners  :biggrin:
easy to start if the valve clearances are right but then again they are easy to set. old school no shims and shi$t.
Just love my baby to pieces. just cant get around ridding anything els any more coz its just not the same.
hardest thing about ridding the R is keeping the blerry front wheel on the ground :ricky:

Whethefakawe said:

Thanks for the advice and info. I'm not sure exactly what has been done to the bike yet, i do know that Runner had it just before I took delivery of it and he sorted out the jetting.

A decent pipe is probably something that I will look at in the not too distant future.

I don't have a copy of "Dust to Glory" so that would be awesome to get one.

Will PM you.

So my mate Philemon told me he got a spare screen with when he bought his Dakar a couple of years ago, and after hearing what a wuss I was for complaining about wind buffeting at speed on the XR, he posted it down to me.

Collected it from the PO yesterday and checked out how I am going to fit this onto the XR.

At Wooly Bugger's suggestion when he came round to have a look this morning, decided to duct tape the screen on temporarily to see if it would work:

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Took the bike onto the highway for a test run, and found that at 150km/h the screen makes a huge difference. There is still some buffeting, mainly my head, but whereas before even at speeds as low as 120 km/h the wind was unpleasant, now with the screen it is very comfortable.

I have bought all the bolts already, now all I have to do is drill a few holes and Bob's your Uncle  :ricky:

I also had a screen fitted Jon, and it makes a big difference for those speeds :thumleft:

:thumleft:
glad it helps..........
now don't fuck it up with the drill.........