My Ride to the Snow Valley Bash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
We left Hilton at 06h30, me on my XRR and Kevin (Outthere) and Sarah on their GS1200.

Had an uneventful early morning tar ride to Sani Pass and an easy 15 minute ride up the pass. I had no luggage at all on my bike, everything I took with was in my Camelbak on my back, including a few tools, two spare tubes and some clothes. Not that comfortable riding with that weight on my back, but I got used to it  :biggrin:

Still some snow around at the top of Sani

DSC03498.jpg

My XRR, with new rubber courtesy of Mitas, an absolute pleasure to ride, handled whatevere I could throw at it with ease

DSC03501.jpg

Kevin and Sarah cruising

DSC03503.jpg

At the bottom of Matebeng Pass just past the campsite

DSC03510.jpg

DSC03511.jpg

Matebeng Pass

DSC03519.jpg

At the top of the pass

DSC03524.jpg

DSC03528.jpg

DSC03532.jpg

Some snow on the pass

DSC03533.jpg

At the bottom of the pass we headed for the Chinese shop at Sehlabathebe where we filled up with fuel. We also visited the "Green House" where we bought some beers for the night ahead.

That night we stayed at the Lodge at Sehlabathebe Game Reserve, didn't have a booking, but they had space for us. Shared the lodge with some overseas tourists, was a great spot to spend the night. Just remember to take your own food with. Thanks Sarah for the steaks we braaid. Ataste of things to come  :biggrin:

Sehlabathebe is a very special place and is well worth a visit

DSC03537.jpg

DSC03538.jpg

DSC03540.jpg

We left early Friday morning, cold and sunny, but with a howling wind.

On the way to Rama's gate the road goes right along the SA border on top of the escarpment

DSC03547.jpg

DSC03550.jpg

DSC03553.jpg

From Rama's gate we headed on to Quacha's Nek, and from there took the long (boring) tar road towards Tele Bridge.

Now Kevin and I have ridden the Lundean's Nek road quite a few times, and each time we have noticed a road along the Lesotho side of the Bell River, which is the SA border, which looked very appealing. So with this in mind we plotted a track from the tar road near Quthing to the road next to the Bell River, Then we looked on Google Earth for a possible place to cross, and found it here:

BellRiver.jpg

The river was quite an easy crossing and we came out on the Lundean's Nek Rd, just at the start of the pass.

Feeling quite pleased with ourselves at our illegal border crossing, we hit the Bash at Snow Valley at about 15h00

DSC03554.jpg

To be continued.....