Nelsons Creek 2009 (more pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was this a open event for all? Meaning any kind of bike, and Leon arranged it?

DSC_0205.JPG

Hermanator posted an invite on the WD forum and stated that all makes of bikes are welcome for the weekend. Way to go  :thumleft:

It was stated that the Skills Challenge was "for GS motorcycles". Turned out that others were also tolerated, they devided them into categories by mass.

I missed the preliminary rounds due to having to work later than intended on Friday. :mad:

The BMW Club arranged the weekend, Leon & Country Trax set up the Skills Challenge.

Sponsors were all 3 BMW outlets in CT as well as various other vendors.

(please correct me if haven't got my facts right)

Very nice pics there CandyMan ZA  :thumleft:
The ones of the GSA underbelly really show what a beast the guys were handling. And they handled them well. 

Hermanator said:
MIchiel,

Thanks to you and others from the Wild Dogs who made it to the ride. Your presence was warmly welcomed and we hope to see you again next year.

Cheers

Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence. Coming from a bike-deficient background I really crave gatherings like this.
It also seem like one meet the best of people here.

Thanks to the organizers and the guys who got us permission to go on those private roads.

I actually turned back 1/2 way up that steep section of the red route, rather played it safe, but next time KLR will go where KLR have not gone before.  :ricky:

Thanks for the nice photos guys, was really a great weekend. This is an anual event organised by the Western Cape BMW Motorcycle Club. Hope to see more of the other brand riders there next year!

There was a fantastic selection of exhibitors....

R2H - thanks Kobus, your presence and contribution are always greatly appreciated.
Wild at Heart - Johan, the fantastic selection you present is always a talking point.
Ride-On-Tyre - Ian brought us the concept of how to keep our rubbers hard and did, what looks like, a great deal of business. Seems this is going to take off nicely, well done!
Outdoor Warehouse - thanks guys, of course the SHEWEE was a great conversation point  :D
Longway Imports and Longway Moto - well, if I wasn't so busy running around with an organisers tee-shirt on, I would have enjoyed spending time talking to participants.

Prize giving was immense and the contributors generosity was tremendous. Prizes were supported by Colibri, Hamman, Donford and Atlantic Motorrad, Leatt Brace, Longway Imports, R2H and many more. The evening culminated in a lucky draw for a Starcom System which will certainly complement the rider experience of the winners.

Lawrence

bummed out that i missed it, but unfortunately my bike wasn't exactly in riding condition...

Attachments

• DSC05306.jpg
    DSC05306.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 353
Some more pics with commentary in between:

Saturday morning breakfast was served from 06:15 and the red route started at 07:00.
So the first challenge was being there on time.

IMG_3363B.jpg

IMG_3370B.jpg

Russel was the oke with the red BMW who went up the steep hill mentioned before. Behind him is DieterF (also a WD).

IMG_3374B.jpg

Here we waited a while for the bikes that had gone up the steep part. The detour was not in the least boring.

IMG_3387B.jpg

The red route was a handful so not many pics taken. The rest of the pics are from the Saturday's Skills Challenge Final.
One of the items was to pick up a cup of water from a barrel and put it down on the next barrel, make a U-turn and do it again. There was a slight incline so for the downhill you had to use your throttle hand and on the uphill your clutch hand.

IMG_3407B.jpg

Some logs to cross:

IMG_3424B.jpg

IMG_3432B.jpg

The large bikes had a hard time not bumping the barrel:

IMG_3433B.jpg

Over logs:

IMG_3437B.jpg

Slalom through some cones. They were very close together.

IMG_3443B.jpg

Russel again:

IMG_3446B.jpg

There were some "parking bays" set out with logs. The openings were at opposite ends so contestants hade to snake through them. Caused endless problems.

IMG_3450B.jpg

More slalom:

IMG_3459B.jpg

This was a familiar sight:

IMG_3464B.jpg

One of the few to have a problem with the log:

IMG_3471B.jpg

Leftless was incredible to watch. Although he rides extremely well he made some errors.

IMG_3501B.jpg

IMG_3505B.jpg

IMG_3509B.jpg

Home advantage. Daniel Nelson was a pleasure to watch, rode very well:

IMG_3520B.jpg

I suppose if it's your barrel you can thump it as hard as you like:

IMG_3521B.jpg

The umpires had to be quite nimble at times:

IMG_3522B.jpg

IMG_3523B.jpg

IMG_3524B.jpg

IMG_3525B.jpg

One of the items was to make a U-turn between cones. It was so tight that you had to slide the rear. It was the only place you could put your foot down without penalties.

IMG_3527B.jpg

IMG_3528B.jpg

Spillage was a common sight:

IMG_3559B.jpg

IMG_3572B.jpg

IMG_3574B.jpg

Young Nelson (14) with a KTM 230 did very well too:

IMG_3575B.jpg

IMG_3586B.jpg

IMG_3590B.jpg

Here Pantsula is in action.
IMG_3598B.jpg

IMG_3600B.jpg

IMG_3602B.jpg

And that's it from me. Saturday night was a dinner & dance, top class food and entertainment as well as copious amounts of red wine  :thumleft:

Thanks to BMW Club Cape Town!

awesome! very good photo's sprocket! I like the way you captured all the moments!

Thanks for posting your pictures :)
C

great photo's Sprocketbek ! And yes Daniel Nelson won in his division of GS1200's and HP's . Bester Els won in the class of the GS1200 Adventure's and GS1150's and last but not least congratulations to Pantsula who won the smaller bikes section agains stiff competition which included cross challenges and other makes of bikes too  :biggrin:

Watching the skills challenge was awesome and great fun!!!  ;)

Thanks for clearing up the results there, Rynet.

Thought of visiting the BMW site to look for them, it would have made for a better report.

But I don't want to be caught trolling around there, my fellow KTM riders are already viewing me with suspicion  :peepwall:  :biggrin:

This really pleases me that the "them and us" walls are crumbling.

It was a great weekend where everyone was having  a ball together, irrespective of what bike they ride.

Just to let you know, the committee for the 2010 event is having the first meeting this month already! Hope we'll see many more there at 2010.

Lawrence

Thanks for the awesome photos Sprocketbek!

Sprocketbek said:
Thanks for clearing up the results there, Rynet.

Thought of visiting the BMW site to look for them, it would have made for a better report.

But I don't want to be caught trolling around there, my fellow KTM riders are already viewing me with suspicion  :peepwall:  :biggrin:

Hey Sprocketbek your photo's were so awesome that I put some of them on the BMW forum , I thought Michiel had taken one , but now not so sure , were the photo's all by you ?

Check out your photo's on the BMW site, I won't tell , I promise !  >:D

https://www.bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/well-done-daniel-and-corne

https://www.bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/nelsons-creek-photo-competition

https://www.bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/nc-09-red-route