New camel broken in... (Two-up Ride-Report added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks ouens.

mrhyde: Nope. The bikes a week old. 1002km on the clock. I needed a lighter bike with more range and less maintenance costs. This has been my progression in bikes bigger than 500cc:

2005/2006:

Image005.jpg

2006/2007:

X5.jpg

2007/2009:

05102008769.jpg

2010:

IMG00777-20100129-1842.jpg

So back to my roots.  :biggrin:

MarkHardy, Footloose,Trailrider: Thanks okes.

buzzlightyear: Thanks. I'm still getting the hang of making the movies. Want to try and bring more motion into my ride reports.

Fourie-kop! Awhe my bru! Dis nie regverdig om n 660 met n 950 te vergelyk nie. Behalwe as die off-road en technical is. Dink die 660 sal sy man staan. Maar soos hulle se, "The bike does'nt maketh the man"  :biggrin:. Die fuel tank my bru. Dis waaroor dit gaan, en die tyres, en die goedkoper services, en die 10000 km service intervals, etc................

Cool, wat van gemak of is dit maar 'n strykplank. Ek is verbaas met sy range, bliksim dis goed. Ek weet jy en die vrou cruz mos baie, bly sy deesdae by die huis of het jy 2 gekoop?

Lekker CM.

1. Get a Helmet Cam. It makes taking riding vids a load of fun.

2. How long does it take to get used to posing (no malicious intent here) for you own action shots (jaaging by the farm fence & hetting up out of the tent)?

3. This is quite a lekker and ingenious way of doing a RR. IYO can you pack 1 days worth of good stuff into a 3 min vid?

4. What did you use, Windows Movie Maker?

Thanks again for the comments.

Fourie-kop: Die ou is heel gemaklik. Maar eks mos maar korterig: 1.75m. So eks heel gemaklik agter die skerm en op die sitplek. Ek sal miskien net nog n seat koop wat n ou kan reguit maak. Sodat n mens op sand verder agter kan sit. Vroutjie-doukie is nog nie op die bike gewees nie. So ons sal nog sien hoe dit gaan.  ::)

Silver-fox: I hope so too buddy!

Berm_Rooster:
1. This is a helmet cam.  ;D A2CK Action Cam. Just too big a mission to get it out of the helmet mount with one hand, and starting it etc. You never know if its working or not.  :-\ So I keep it in my left hand. Makes technical riding a bit more challenging. For mountain biking, I stick it too the handle bars. You can check some of those vids here:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kameelkopmovies&search_type=&aq=f

2. It takes me about 20 min to set up the cam, go back down the road I just came, turn around again, then pick up enough speed for the shot, stop, then retrieve the cam. Make sure you have a land mark, or a GPS point. Else you might struggle to find your cam.  :biggrin:

3. Thanks. I've found so far, that the ratio is about 10:1. For every 10 min of film, you gonna get about 1 min of footage you can use. Also you need to plan your shots as you go.

4. I use Windows Movie Maker, Kino, or Pitivi Video Editor.

I just started making movies (Kameelkopmovies on YouTube  ;D), and have found I like it a lot. Which means I'll probably need better equipment eventually. But for now the A2CK will have to do.

Let me guess...the music made you do it... just got a brand new...;D

Cool vid, cool bike!

This weekend it was time to see if Dingaan, the Desert Camel can travel with two-up off-road with full luggage, fuel, hairdryer, etc!

To my surprise, it hardly felt the weight. It handled very well, better than a loaded Katoom, handled sand very well, and passed slow vehicles in 5th gear from 80km/h on a incline.

I found us a nice place called Alpha-Excelsior in the Cederberg, east of Clanwilliam. Its a awesome farm, with self catering chalets and their own wine.

The roads I chose to go there were constantly east or west of the N7, with the total being 260km, whereof only about 20km was on the N7, and for the first time in my life my wife said, she wanted to go back on the same road!  :eek:. This was a new one! She said the Tenere was super comfy on the back, with ample room to move around, and a nice view over my shoulders. I did 250km and added 14 litres. Cruising speed was 120km/h. On all roads.  ;D

So, after 1 week and 2 days with a odometer reading of 1840km, I can say for sure. I chose right. This bike is THE ONE!

Below is a little video I put together, with my wife doing most of the shooting. Hope you like!

Thanks Beserker!

Whish I could take footage in the dark. Would have been a cool shot with the flames reflecting from the tank!

bradleys: Last wednesday's lunch turned into dinner. I actually am trying to figure out a way to duck on wednesday , go check out the Augrabies falls in flood, then come back on Thursday. Have to swing it by vroutjie-doukie first!  :biggrin:

Camel,

What's your verdict Dakar vs Tenere? Seeing you owned and travelled on both???

I'm starting to think ..... and that in itself is dangerous  ::)

Congrats Camelman. May you have safe travels on it always.
First pic on the Tenere. Where was it taken? Looks WC but cannot figure out. Citrusdal perhaps?
Could be Ladismith aswell.