This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanley from Oz

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Greetings, Hallo, I've been following this forum for about six months as I plan to do a bike trip to Southern Africa next year, but I've found it to be such a good forum that I decided to join. I have tried on two occasions to ride to South Africa, the first in 1979 on a BMWR90 but as I couldn't find a riding companion I ended up, starting from England, just touring North Africa and southern Europe. The second time was in 1984 on a BM 80GS. Started from England made it across the Sahara but couldn't get through Nigeria, so toured West Africa for nine months. I'm hoping for third time lucky.
I have been riding bikes for a long time as I just love being on the open road. I've been riding mostly BM's for the last 35 years and at present have a R1200GS (photo next time).
It seems to me that this forum is more like a motorcycle club, which is very nice but I guess I should start learning a bit of Afrikaans so that I can read and perhaps comment on what other riders are saying. Thanks again for letting me join. :)