Newbie bike owner... all the stupid questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boertjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
OK, I've now had the Varadero for two months, have done almost 2000kays, done my first 100 posts on the forum, but yet there are still many questions living in my mind. I'll start to ask these to learn.... and YEAH, there will be guys out there that wonder who's this fool that ask all these stupid questions, but I'd rather be stupid than not know...  ??? if that makes any sense.

Let me start with my questions on routine maintenance...

1. Firstly, if i want to service the bike, or do any of the routine things mentioned below, I need he bike to stand upright and allow the rear wheel to spin freely. I do not have a centre stand fitted. What are the options? Do I buy a centre stand, get a pedastal, a hydraulic lifting device that pushes up frok under the engine, get one of these lift thingies that lift just the rear wheel, do I need one for the front wheel too...???

2. I understand that the chain needs to be cleaned regularly. My chain was new when I bought the bike. It is a sealed bearing, link chain supposedly the best chain you can get. It was clean and still looks clean and good, but it feels sticky when touched. I've bought chain lube (hell-of-an-expensive, but supposed to be the best). How do I actually clean the chain before spraying it again with this lube? Do I use water with some dishwashing liquid, just water, Q20 and wipe off, or what do you guys suggest I use to clean the chain? How do spin the rear wheel to clean and again to lubricatet he chain? The previous owner suggested that I tilt the bike over on the side stand and then run the rear wheel to move the chain. How do I do that on my own... without help? That is, hold and tilt the bike, rotate the rear wheel, wash or spray the chain... mayba a woman can do that many things at the same time, but I certainly cannot.

3. What do I use to clean the bike? Most areas is Ok with just a moist cloth. The areas around the chain etc need something a little stronger to remove the greasy substances found there. Also the previous owner sprayed Silicon spray on the dash and seat. On the dash it works OK, but I've felt that the seat is quite slippery once sprayed (and wiped off) with the silicon. What do you suggest?

Maybe enough dump questions for now.

Please help.