SPOTLIGHT PLACEMENT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEON 1190

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
I have a double barrel question re the best place to mount spotlights on the bike ( 1190 ktm) and then is bigger better ?

I have looked at many bikes with spots fitted , position seems to be a personal option , some have them low on the crash bar , some high up , some in more than one location , small and big lights , the options are as many as there are owners and bikes on the road . I would like to get some comments from owners that have done homework on what works best , or is there no best position?

I have a 10w spot from extreme lights mounted on the OEM KTM spot bracket just below the headlight , and they are ok , but ..... I am aware that riding after dark is not common , but sometimes we do it , On my return trip home last December I ended up on the road at 2am for the ride home . My 10w spots worked ok but in my mind to much of a pencil beam . Had drivers flash me from far , and turning of the spots have one riding blind .
With this in mind I keep thinking a set mounted lower on the crash bar would be beneficial , but then a light with a flood beam need to be fitted . With this idea in mind , my plan was to fit mounts , instal the wiring , a separate handle bar mounted switch , this would give the the flexibility to fit the lights when touring and remove when not .
Or , swop out the 10w spots for a 40w set and be done .
I am aware that I have asked question in the same vain, but have not made peace with my set up. looks wise I am happy , performance wise not and not keen to add more lights until the bike looks like a xmas tree. This all said , being able to see at night is a quest .
Also aware its my bike and can do as I please , but suggestions are welcome .