Newcastle Weekend 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Another great weekend in the battlefields, and thanks to all the folks who made it along.

I never took a roll-call of either dogs or bikes, but counting the bikes in the pic on the top of Spionkop the party was thirteen bikes – Most from up-country, with a interesting mix of bikes from 900 down to 400 and a good mix of brands.

I had been watching the weather forecast like a hawk for the week leading up to the weekend, and although there was quite extensive rain predicted we had an almost-dry weekend other that a few annoying visor-speckling drops at the start of the ride, and a short spell of rain on the way back on Saturday. On the way back we rode on a wet road for much of the way,  but thankfully no rain.

The route for the Saturday ride was almost the same for the first half as we rode last year, but we crossed the N3 at Swinburne and returned to Newcastle via the Middledale pass and Geluksburg, with a short detour up to the top of Spionkop

The trip was largely without incedent. Two small tumbles but no serious damage to dogs or bikes, and no punctures or breakdowns at all.

Route was about 290Km Newcastle -> Ladysmith and 100Km back on the N11.

Out at 07:30 and in Ladysmith at about 14:30

The route on Saturday :-

NC2009RouteMap.jpg

The pack after picking me up at Villiers

Pistol trailered the little 400 down this time to rest the 1200

Newcastle2009001.jpg

Newcastle2009002.jpg

Newcastle2009004.jpg

Newcastle2009005.jpg

Gunda found another GundaGunda for the gunda collection

Newcastle2009007.jpg

The night before 

Newcastle2009009.jpg

Newcastle2009010.jpg

Newcastle2009011.jpg

On to the Saturday ride :-

BigRay ditched the KLR at this extremely nasty corner on the Sunday’s river pass – it is a sharp downhill corner that has almost no warning and a nasty buildup of gravel on it.

Look closely and you can see the tyre marks of the other folk.

Newcastle2009006.jpg

Biological break on the of the berg -  the bleak but beautiful section from the top of Collings pass to Swinburne in the vicinity of Nelson’s Kop.

Newcastle2009013.jpg

Newcastle2009015.jpg

Rensburg’s Kop in the background, Our route took us round the back and down Middledale pass. 

Newcastle2009017.jpg

A compulsory stop at a shabeen just before dropping back down to KZN via Geluksburg.

Newcastle2009019.jpg

Newcastle2009020.jpg

On the top of Spionkop – I was a bit slow getting back into the photo !!!

Newcastle2009023.jpg

Got a tour guide to snap this team photo.

Newcastle2009024.jpg

History lessons

Newcastle2009026.jpg

Last regroup before heading back via a well earned drink at the Royal Hotel in Ladysmith.

Newcastle2009029.jpg

Jules and Li Reporting In, Got home at 14:30 after a great days riding.

Pics etc to follow

Alfred and Esther got home safely at 13:00. Our thanks to everyone for making our 1st ride with the Dogs a weekend to remember. I'll try to add some pics later

Cyclops and Son got home safely at 11h30. What an awesome weekend!!! Good dirt, excellent company, spectacular scenery.  Thanks to Staal and Gunda for organising and to all for making the weekend so great.

Can't wait for the next one.

What can I Add?

A brilliant weekend with great company, lots of kak praat with a few fantas. 3 days of gravel, pretty dusty sometimes - best way to spend a weekend.

well done to Gunda and Jules for the routes - and thanks to pistol for not having a camera when he should have!

Pistol and BigRay back with no problems, thanks to all for the organising :thumleft:

Looks like you guys had a great ride too!! :thumleft:
Sorry we didnt meet up with you at the lodge for drinks but we got distracted by our warm bon fire :)

Nice one all :thumleft: Going past that way on Gravel all the way to Winkelspruit next month ;)

Hey guys, what an awsome trip !!!!

That stretch between the top of Mullers Pass and the top of Normandien Pass, next to the Klip Rivier is a very lekker pice to ride !!!

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Hey they serve the tea in funny looking bottles ,u better hope blazes don't see this  :imaposer:

Excellent riding  . :ricky:

Just a huge big thankyou to Staalburger & Gunda for organising a great ride on Saturday and Jules for the dirt to & from Newcastle. The people that did not do the dirt to & from Newcastle do not know what they missed?
I will definelty diarise this weekend foor next year.
OK now thats out the way - where are we going this weekend?

Nice one. Hopefully I can make it next time

Thanks to all it was a great week end my firs of many tanks to Gunda and Jules keeping us on the right track tanks again Big Ray. P.S a little stiff from that fall today :ricky:

big Ray said:
Thanks to all it was a great week end my firs of many tanks to Gunda and Jules keeping us on the right track tanks again Big Ray. P.S a little stiff from that fall today :ricky:

That wozznt a fall - just gave the KLR a little rest.  ;D

It was a good weekend but next time not Majuba lodge again. Thanks to everyone that came and Gunda for organising a lekka route.

Staalburger said:
It was a good weekend but next time not Majuba lodge again. Thanks to everyone that came and Gunda for organising a lekka route.

Yup. I think somewhere else for a change.

I think a weekend based at the Riverview Country Lodge in Swinburne may be worth thinking about:-

(Swinburne is between Harrismith and van Reenen in Free State)

- Lovely rides in the area - within a 100Km you have :-

The railway road at van reenen & the van reenen area.
  The service road along the Wilge river railway line to Harrismith
  Passes - Mullers,
                Normandien (Norman & Dean ?)
                Colling's
                Milldale
  The Lost Valley & Tintwa area
  Verkykerskop area.
  Golden gate for accompanying cagers to take a drive to
  Bergville and Northern Berg.

Central

350Km to Bloem
280Km to Durban
340Km to Pretoria
290Km to Jhb

Riverview is extremely basic, but friendly and inexpensive R280 pp B&B
  Chalets work out cheaper per person (they have three ?)
  Can accomodate about 50 in beds.
  Allow camping and have two showers and toilets for happy campers
  Friendly pub - Hare and Hound  - Nice big log fire.
  Run by a laid-back Welsh couple. 
    barmaid who is charmingly full of s*&t

I was there one w/e when the Astronomical Society were there stargazing - about 50 People, and they organized fixed-menu meals. Overflow is accomodated in Guest Houses.

Montrose is 800m away - there they have:- 
  Petrol,  Bottle Store, KFC, Fishaway, Milky Lane,
  Steers, House of Coffees Brazilian
    and 24/7 takeaway for latecomers and early leavers.

I am thinking of a recce trip sometime to check it out - anyone keen ?

(When I can resolve my bike's or my tyre issues and make it rideable again ! )

GundaGunda said:
  Passes - Mullers,
                Normandien (Norman & Dean ?)
                Colling's
                Milldale

And don't forget the wonderfull Bezuidenhoudt's Pass......  :deal: :deal: :deal:

Latest posts