No Direction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jughead

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So Saturday evening arrives and I am dying to get away from the house and it's temporary occupants.  TornadoF5 is having withdrawal symptoms, having not ridden his bike for some time, what with having no rear wheel, a buggered battery, etc, etc.

So after putting his bike back together on Saturday, he sends me an SMS. "Ready when you are!"  So after quickly consulting with my friend Mapsource, we have more or less a picture of where we want to go.  So at 7am on Sunday morning we head for the transmission tower near Kareedow.

Sunrise finds us close to Jeffreys Bay.
ohl7ac.jpg

Where we promptly ran out of road.
259g7eh.jpg

Horse whisperer?
2uyir03.jpg

So we head back to Jeffreys for breakfast, then on to the tower.
2qx41g3.jpg

Normally the site is rather unpleasant because if the wind, but Sunday was really awesome.

The view.
o5n668.jpg

We sat like dassies in the sun for almost an hour.  
TF5
214v21g.jpg

Yours truly
2s0d4rn.jpg

From the top we noticed the roads in the distance on the Northern side of the mountain.  We started wondering whether there was a road from where we were directly to the Churchhill dam, just off the pic on the LHS.
2lmow3p.jpg

That was enough to start us exploring.
So down we went.
qod2zm.jpg

And found this road.
2jfnoqx.jpg

Which became this after taking the wrong turn.
a1q2pv.jpg

Riding through the long grass which was all that was left of the "road", we had to be careful of what lurked beneath.  At this particular spot there was a mud monster that grabbed hold of TF5's front wheel and down he went.
2wdzsl5.jpg

The road became progressively worse.
2q36a2r.jpg

Until it eventually ran out over a steep gorge.  Here TF5 is fighting his steed back up the hill.
5v0fir.jpg

24d36vo.jpg

Then the mud monster grabbed him again, while my Heidi fought for traction.
mcb33d.jpg

90drvl.jpg

TF5.  He was saying something like "THESE SCORPIONS ARE SH!T!!"
10zmnoy.jpg

The object of his wrath!
14642f.jpg

My bike wasn't looking much better.
e0srat.jpg

On the way back, in the middle of nowhere, we suddenly came across this dude.
311ua2d.jpg

He had launched from the top of the hill, but, with there not being a breath of wind on this side, was forced to land.  He had a long walk ahead.  He radioed one of his buddies who knew the area and was able to point us in the right direction.
After a rest..
2mglegn.jpg

we found the road we were looking for.  By this time it was getting late, we were tired, fuel was low and we headed for home, making a quick detour to the highest narrow gauge rail bridge in the world.
cmgci.jpg

r7ljbk.jpg

A lekka ride on an awesome day.  Yes, there is a road from S to N across the mountain, and we found it!

Glad you did not drag me with :eek:
great ride you both had :thumleft: :thumleft:

Lekker gery hier in my wereld. Op daai berg vergeet jy van alles.

Jughead, can you post the route you took.

Great RR, those Scorpions are not great in mud.