Northwest Canal ride 28 December 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straatkat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Everyone met at the Wimpy at Harties at 8am, quite a turnout, 12 bikes, I can remember a KTM 990R, 1150GS, Africa Twin, bunch of DR's a KLR, 610 Husky, couple of 660 Yammies,a 250R & CTX200 Honda,and a X-Challenge. Nice spread of bikes.
The first 50 kays were uneventful, had to turn around where the road was washed away and find a way around the obstacle, it turned out to be through a granite mine and they blocked the road off with granite blocks and huge tyres, but we managed to squeeze through....
Then we went over a muddy bridge and there was the mother of all mudpatches directly in front of us.
I managed to follow our intrepid leader and Titanic, who slipped off the snotgladde ledge we used to get past the worst part, and things went downhill from there for him! After I got through , debated briefly if I should give him a hand, but decided to be the photographer instead. All the guys on the smaller bikes were through by then, so there were some hands on board to give him a helping hand. Some hapless Dogs were duly sprayed with mud as they valiantly tried to push from behind...KLR's spray mud very efficiently! Eventually the KLR was recovered by pulling on straps tied to the handlebars. The bigger bikes (some of them had road tyres) decided to find another road around...and met up with us as we were hot wiring said KLR as the kill switch got some mud in and refused to work.

Attachments

• P1000218.JPG
    P1000218.JPG
    21.4 KB
  • P1000222.JPG
    P1000222.JPG
    21.9 KB
  • P1000226.JPG
    P1000226.JPG
    28.3 KB
  • P1000222.JPG
    P1000222.JPG
    21.9 KB
  • P1000234.JPG
    P1000234.JPG
    20.3 KB
  • P1000237.JPG
    P1000237.JPG
    20.5 KB
  • P1000217.JPG
    P1000217.JPG
    21.4 KB
nice! We aslo experienced the effect of rain on the roads in the North yesterday and today
make the pics a little bigger plase

:thumleft: Great, really testing skills and ability pf both bike and riders.

Post more pics please :sip:

Did I mention the mud was snotglad! Some of us have had more luck than others!
Notice the row of Dogs in the background, I'm not taking this bike through there.
For some of us the call of adventure overshadows the call of sanity!

Attachments

• P1000219.JPG
    P1000219.JPG
    233.8 KB
After crossing the mudpatch, everyone had fun.

Attachments

• P1000237.JPG
    P1000237.JPG
    224 KB
After the mud, we stopped for fuel and some refreshments, some Dogs went home, and the bitterenders then headed off to Jericho Rock, or Koos se Klip.
Some 20km of sandy roads saw some snaking of the front wheel, keep in the tracks!
Arriving at the Rock, we uncermoniously all rode up the easy way, not as frightening as I expected, it looks steep but my Husky pulled up there with little effort. At the top we all gazed over the edge at the very steep way up. It looks almost vertical for the first bit.

Attachments

• P1000248.JPG
    P1000248.JPG
    246.4 KB
While we were all standing gazing over the amazing view up there,  Mike started his bike , and rode up and down the second steepest part first, but then he went down the steepest part...it is so steep that from the top his bike dissapears from view completely as seen from the top, going down that steep a slope earns respect! Well done Mike. He topped it off with a very cool wheelie in silhouette as he came up after the BIG descent.

Attachments

• P1000245.JPG
    P1000245.JPG
    229.8 KB
  • P1000247.JPG
    P1000247.JPG
    258.5 KB
Mike and his daughter Candy. She rode pillion up the rock! That must also take some guts!
A bunch Dogs on the Rock.
After all that excitement all that was left was to fly home via the canals, and we actually had a magic ride all the way back, there were only 5 or so bikes left and the pace was enjoyed by all. I saw a couple of powerslides an near misses in muddy patches.
Thanks Dale for organising, I really enjoyed the day.

Attachments

• P1000229.JPG
    P1000229.JPG
    260.6 KB
  • P1000242.JPG
    P1000242.JPG
    223.8 KB
Peace Love and B.E.E.??  :lol8: :lol8:

Attachments

• P1000229.JPG
    P1000229.JPG
    260.6 KB
Thanks for the RR straatkat, not much to add, had 2 wobbly moments myself, note to self...don't mess with the GPS while riding in mud/clay, keep both hands in the handlebar and soft/loose sand brings out the rubber legs...

KLR's don't make good submarines.

All in all I really enjoyed the ride and was great to meet an awesome bunch of people. Great camaraderie!!

Will be doing the same route on 1 Jan 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for a lekker ride everybody. I will also post some pics when I'm back at work on the 6th.

Nice pics,awesome ride,sorry i couldn't make it :xxbah:
Bertie ek dink jy moet jou forum naam verander na Modder monster! nou lyk daai modder poeletjie wat jou 610 ingesluk het laaskeer na n speel plassie!

Thanks for arranging the ride. Had a great time. After I got roosted in the mud , I was not allowed in the house until I stripped off the muddy kit. Still cleaning up........ ;)

Tx again Dale for arranging the ride & Straatkat for the RR!
Lekker again to see some old and also meeting new dogs.
Hentie tsk.. Hennie on the GS1150 now also converted to join - took a bit of armtwisting to get him along on his first ride and you guys and Candy's attitude converted him!
Herewith a pic sorting out Titanic's starter button thingy... :thumleft:

Attachments

• Photo0125.jpg
    Photo0125.jpg
    133 KB