Oh what have you done to Sani (and lower Petsong) My trip from Cullinan to Sani

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Malibu said:
Mark Hardy said:
Baglady said:
Mark Hardy said:
I'm in for the ride  :thumleft:

Anytime Mark - it will be a privilege

:thumleft:

somehow and sometime we must organize a weekend ride somewhere

Hey, you two... don't go organising stuff without me.... ;D

Never Judy !!!! But yes, we must organise a weekend trip. Soon - already getting restless.

So ma'am in your opinion ... Can sani be done 2 up , and back to bergville in a day , in the condition its in at the moment ?

And where is the passport check point ?

punisher said:
So ma'am in your opinion ... Can sani be done 2 up , and back to bergville in a day , in the condition its in at the moment ?

Depends if one has the "balls" or not.

Should'nt be a problem. I left Himeville at approx 6.00 arrived in Bergville approx 8.30 (180km's) Himeville to Border post approx 18kms - say 30 min with passport control.  Border post 8km's to top say 30minutes two up. Sani is at present a breeze - only a few switch backs near the top. No huge boulders and rocks like in Nov. Can all change if it rains.
ENJOY !!!

Cool

Just checked on google. , the passport check point is no where near the actual border ff's
Means I have to renew my pissport.  But maybe I still have time

punisher said:

Cool

Just checked on google. , the passport check point is no where near the actual border ff's
Means I have to renew my pissport.  But maybe I still have time
Should not be a problem. The actual Sani is in " no man's land " and provided you do not go through the border on top of Sani the RSA border control sometimes allows one to go up without a passport. ( ala Vic falls)
Go for it...the ride on the dirt to the border control is awesome.

Baglady said:
punisher said:

Depends if one has the "balls" or not.

...... Can all change if it rains.
ENJOY !!!

Indeed - all depends on the weather !

Sorry to hijack, did they check your license?  Im still on learners and have been concerned they will turn me back because of it?  Passport and normal drivers all in order... Will that suffice? 

Thanks!

-end of hijack-

They never checked our papers or our plates vs disks at all....

However... do NOT arrive at the top after dark !!!

On a recent trip ... Swifty, myself and Bender clocked into the bottom of the border at closing time... 18H00.... we had no choice as we were pushed for time after some minor tech problems earlier in the day.

I arrived at the top after about 15 minutes and Swifty soon followed...  we waited for Bender but as we could not see for the mist I deciced to ride back down...  he was about 6 switch backs below and had gotten stuck in a rut....  I helped him out and we got back to the top.

In the meantime Swifty found the border closed and deserted and had "idled" through a gap in the fence just to the right of the border post to go to the Sani Pub....

5 Border Gaurds came running after him and arrested him for "Illegaly entering Lesotho".....  they took his helmet from him and by the time Bender and I got there they were a little "irate"  It took me a long time to get them to let us in... ( I had to part with a few "Mandelas" ) and we got the helmet back...

We went back the next morning to be stamped "In" to Lesotho....  so if you put a foot wrong... remain friendly and always feign a little stupidity.... it worked for me !!

Firesquirrel said:

On a recent trip ... Swifty, myself and Bender clocked into the bottom of the border at closing time... 18H00.... we had no choice as we were pushed for time after some minor tech problems earlier in the day.

I arrived at the top after about 15 minutes and Swifty soon followed...  we waited for Bender but as we could not see for the mist I deciced to ride back down...  he was about 6 switch backs below and had gotten stuck in a rut....  I helped him out and we got back to the top.

In the meantime Swifty found the border closed and deserted and had "idled" through a gap in the fence just to the right of the border post to go to the Sani Pub....

5 Border Gaurds came running after him and arrested him for "Illegaly entering Lesotho".....  they took his helmet from him and by the time Bender and I got there they were a little "irate"   It took me a long time to get them to let us in... ( I had to part with a few "Mandelas" ) and we got the helmet back...

We went back the next morning to be stamped "In" to Lesotho....  so if you put a foot wrong... remain friendly and always feign a little stupidity.... it worked for me !!

Thanks Firesquirel!  Just to be clear, they have never checked drivers license?  Only asked for papers for bike and passport to stamp?

sheldyn said:
Firesquirrel said:

5 Border Gaurds came running after him and arrested him for "Illegaly entering Lesotho".....  they took his helmet from him and by the time Bender and I got there they were a little "irate"   It took me a long time to get them to let us in... ( I had to part with a few "Mandelas" ) and we got the helmet back...

Thanks Firesquirel!  Just to be clear, they have never checked drivers license?  Only asked for papers for bike and passport to stamp?

Both in and out we only showed passports... they did not ask for anything else...  that was my experience.. maybe others found it different.

Firesquirrel said:
sheldyn said:
Firesquirrel said:

Both in and out we only showed passports... they did not ask for anything else...  that was my experience.. maybe others found it different.

Thanks, i'll take my chances  :ricky:

Hehehe, Kev, looks like you had plenty fun out there... so glad I didn't have to do the muddy bits... I had no more rain after we parted company!

I'm trying to write my RR, but keep getting stuck reading everybody else's stories...  (Note to self: stop getting side tracked)

Hope we get to ride again some time... (except now I got Anakees on... eish...)
I got quite good at the gravelly stuff, wasn't even scared all by myself when I got lost in the Swartberge.  Maybe one day I should consider the possibility of a GPS?

Anyway, lekker story!!!  :biggrin:

As far as the border posts are concerned, they are quite happy to let yoou through on plastic bikes with no road worthy etc.  They only want to see your passport.  Learners is over qualified...

Latest posts