Oil Capacity K72 motor ( F800GS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EssBee

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Wherever one looks on the internet, the oil capacity is stated as 2.9l...with oil filter change. I had 3x Motul 5100 10w 40 1 liters so I thought, "peeerrrfect!" for my 1st DIY oil change on this particular bike.

Some background info : I rode the bike fairly hard for about 15kms plus, and got straight to it with the oil piping hot. When it stopped running I tilted the bike over to the left to get more out. This process I repeated over and over and kept getting miniscule amounts of oil out. I let the bike stand for the whole weekend (because I wanted to buy a decent 24mm socket for the drain plug) and periodically tilted the bike over to get yet more old oil out.

Ok, then, time to fill up. I poured all 3x 1l containers into the motor and the oil level on the dipstick level barely showed minimum. I had to get a 4th 1l and from that I've poured in about 200-250 mls to get to the max mark on the dipstick. So she's got circa 3.25l instead of the specc'ed 2.9l.

While I'm really not worried about this at all I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this and/or can offer any feasible information explaining this.

PS - the oil level from the previous service ( not me and not the dealer either) was actually a little over the max mark.