Ok so we went to Hanover…..a short story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mother

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
Ok so we went to Hanover…..a short story

It started a few years back where a group of people/ friends started touring around the country…..at various times and seeing different places….we all had this common love of biking and touring we also had a desire to meet along the way…. But we weren’t really going to the same places… as you know this type of biking is not really a big group thing
So we decided what the hell lets pick a random place and meet for old years have a bit of a skop skiet & kuir etc. and then head back on our separate ways again
Turns out now this been going on 4 years in a row now
It all started in Calvinia
calvinia.jpg

calvinia2.jpg

calvinia3.jpg

Then Steytlerville
steylerville3.jpg

steytlerville.jpg

steylerville2.jpg

steytlerville4.jpg

Then Kenhardt
kenhardt2.jpg

kenhardt.jpg

kenhardt3.jpg

And 2011 was to be Hanover
So being a man of my word when I say I will do something …It’s a commitment I follow through on ……and so to Hanover it was… this past December
First things first we agreed to spend Xmas at home with the family something I haven’t done in eight years and then make a turn at my mates place in Kleinmond……So
Boxing day we were up bright and early and left home just after 5am heading down the highway to Parys then from there back roads to De Aar with a bit of gravel in between
First bit of gravel
backroadstohanover.jpg

In the new SA ….No signs… so it was a good thing we took Gps and map
nosignstohanover.jpg

And if you found the sign you were lucky as there is also clearly no upkeep in the new SA
findthesigntopetrusburgifucan.jpg

From De Aar it was all gravel till Victoria West where we overnighted amidst huge rain clouds and thunder  1010km for day one…..a loooong day it was
Lunch on the run just outside De Aar as most places were closed for the holidays
lunchoutsidedeaar.jpg

Something you don’t see too often old signs showing miles
signsinmiles.jpg

And an old Block House near Victoria west
oldblockhouse.jpg

Next day out of town direction Loxton we hit a left and took all the gravel and mud (it had rained all the previous night)to Beaufort West then on down the N1 to Leeu Gamka hit a left gravel to Prins Albert then over the Swartberg pass to Calitzdorp

Gravel/muddy road to Beaufort West
oldsigntobeaufortwest.jpg

wetnextday.jpg

whichway.jpg

downtobeaufortwest.jpg

Swartberg Pass

intotheswartbergpass.jpg

mypillion.jpg

neartopofswartbergpass.jpg

ontopswartbergpass.jpg

dietopofswartbergpass.jpg

Stopped for as pic at my favourite sign then on down route 62 to Barrydale where we turned down Tradouws Pass to the N2 and finished in Klienmond over 700 km for the day
My favourite sign near Calitzdorp got a pic here with all my bikes over the years
mysignnearcalitzdorp.jpg

Tradouws Pass near Barrydale
nicepassnearbarrydale.jpg

We chilled in Kleinmond for a few days and then on old years headed up to Hanover on the scenic route via Bredasdorp Montague and then the  boring N1as we had to cover some distance for the day
Kleinmond
lekabykleinmond.jpg

It was a nice surprise to see 20 or so folks make an effort to get to Hanover for “Mothers” bash (not really) but it was nice to visit with the dogs and I appreciate the effort u made.
Some of the bikes in Hanover hotel courtyard
somebikeshanover.jpg

To me it’s nice to meet new folks and see some familiar faces and New Year’s is a good enough reason to celebrate the end of a good or kak year depends on how u saw it
Any way with the help of our hosts at the Hanover Hotel and Lodge (Eddie and Beryl) we kuired into the morning and I remember going to bed around 3am or so
Picture moment ….some folks were playing outside on a vuka….that’s another story on its own
groupiehanover.jpg

Jupiter Marking the roof
dogmarkhanoverroof.jpg

whoswhoonhanoverroof.jpg

Lucky for us we had decided to take a rest day on new year’s and spent the day lazing around the pub chatting to other likeminded folk we also took a walk around the town getting to see what Hanover was all about
Taking in Hanover sights from the koppie
hanoverkoppie.jpg

honoverwalkabout.jpg

honovercourthouse.jpg

hanoverchurch.jpg

And Beemer man was our barman in pain….also another story
hanoverbarman.jpg

Next day… well rested we headed for home via Trompsburg to Bloem to miss all the stop goes and then on to Pretoria
A nice kwikki getaway trip to the Karoo/Kleinmond and Hanover
dectrip.jpg

We will see where this year takes us
Cheers
M

Nice one Mother!

I didn't realise you and Leonie did so many km's in such a short span of time. Iron butts. . .

Always lekker and nice to read your stories - thanks  :thumleft:

That was a very lekker old years eve, I am glad I was there.
Thank you Mother.

I enjoyed thanks
Nice pics Laurika...

"Mr Biking", nice report and trip overview, your pictures tell nice stories that make one want to go off and do it!

Well done to running this event year-on-year!

Goeie werk man....goeie werk!! Was lekker om te ontmoet en saam te kuier in Hanover!!  :thumleft:

Hoofseun said:
"Mr Biking", nice report and trip overview, your pictures tell nice stories that make one want to go off and do it!

Well done to running this event year-on-year!

:thumleft: time to join again ........lets see what this year holds for us all

Carrots said:
Goeie werk man....goeie werk!! Was lekker om te ontmoet en saam te kuier in Hanover!!  :thumleft:

Ou grapgat... kuier se moer jy wat saam die hoenders gaan le  :imaposer:

Nice report. :thumleft: You 2 did some seriaas distance. :ricky: We were planning to attend this bash? but unfortunately my crash put a spanner in the works :(