Old biker, new to dirt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROOIKOEI

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Howzit all.
The subject heading says it all. Been riding road bikes for 39 years and started surfing the WD site after being bitten by the
airhead bug, hence the name, `ROOIKOEI`. The topics on the adventure side slowly started making impact. Why not combine
a trip on the old 77100RS (naked) , some tar, some dirt roads, the bush, and getting away from the East Rand for a few days.
After reading a few ride reports to Groot Marico, the plan took shape. 3 Days, 2 nights, Magalies to Koster, then dirt roads to
GM. Two weeks before the trip the BM`s tank started shedding its inner lining, causing fuel starvation. Maak `n plan!
My daily commute is a little Honda Twister and just had to make do. Cruised to Koster at a 100 km/h. From there we took the dirt
to GM, +- 90km, which was my first experience on dirt, at times a bit wobbly, but enjoyable. Fuel consumption worked out to
33 km/l, probably due to my very low cautious speed on the dirt section! My cousin was on a 650GS, and got 28 km/l.
I trust the intro was proper and will post the Photos under ride reports.
Johann