On a sunday . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenInk (R.I.P)

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLE 500
On a sundey a few weeks ago I managed to get a few people to fit new batteries and dust off their rides for a then planned short round trip. There were supposed to be five bikes, but one fellow does not know how to borrow a phone after his went flat. So we ended up with my IT200, a Yamaha Tenere 600, a Honda transalp and a Yamaha DT125 ! NO BMW  :pot:

To get things going I parked what was in my lounge . . .

1000025l.jpg

Onto my lawn to check oil ect...

1000031i.jpg

Then off to collect the rest of the party . . .

1000035qa.jpg

Suitabley packed with liquid refreshment we headed up to the local for some motion lotion . . . .

1000036j.jpg

We headed out of town in the Barkly East direction and turned left just after the Elliot Country Club`s golf course onto the Tsomo Valley road.

The plan for the day was to follow that road all the way through to Ida, then hit the tar road back. Should have been more or less 75km.

We traveled 10km and stopped for the first of many refreshments.

1000037z.jpg

It was so hot in the valley standing in one place, the drinks were soon downed to get moving again! Soon we were at our next pit stop! This time we had some shade so we spent a bit longer here. Its rather pretty here too !

1000043.jpg

Hitting the road again some were having fun but the DT went down, sorry I don`t have a pic for that but I got there after the fact cos I was sweeper . . . DT had a broken front break lever now but he said he`s not turning back so we rode on.

The water flowing . . .

1000045o.jpg

Keeping the feet dry . . . Don`t know why he did that  ???

1000046l.jpg

Some nice riding on good roads! :thumleft:

1000050y.jpg

Our very own table mountain !

1000048.jpg

By this time our plans had changed! We dicided to go up Otto Du Plessis Pass to see what the road was like. We also decided that if the road got too bad we`d turn around  . . .

1000052t.jpg

At the bottom of the hill we found a water crossing and decided to cool down a bit.  :biggrin:

1000054v.jpg

And anything the Tenere can do, I can also do on the IT  :biggrin:

1000056p.jpg

Coming back across

1000057a.jpg

Heading up the pass we stop to take in the view . . .

1000067.jpg

1000066y.jpg

1000056.jpg

We came across this at the top!

1000074j.jpg

We actually made it to the top! Now what to do? We checked the fuel and decided that we`ll make it to Barkly East so we pushed on.

Beautiful and nice pics!!  Well done!

Right where was I ?

So after a smoke at the top of the pass we headed out again for a while till we came across this very comfy patch of grass.

1000078x.jpg

Heading out again we got to this junction. We turned for Barkly . . .

1000080.jpg

One more smoke break before Barkly . . .

1000083.jpg

Not many pics now cos we were hungry and it was getting late. We pulled into Barkly for a snack.

1000087i.jpg

After the snack we moved it on up ! Next stop was MountainShadows

1000088y.jpg

Last photo of the trip, on Barkly Pass heading for Elliot.

1000091.jpg

Just wanna thank everyone for making the effort and enjoying with me !

Cheers

Glen

The IT's are awesome :drif: I used to have the IT465...a real beast & the oke's nowadays would kak to start that sucker.
Have you got more pics of your IT?

Hi Pete,

Mine is a 1984 200. This trip plus a trip to the top of Baster then on to Rhodes with Edgy and the boys put over 400km on the bike in less than 3 days! Its an awesome machine  :thumleft:

More pics of my IT200

1000022.jpg

1000017m.jpg

10000841.jpg

Shout if you need more lol  :thumleft:

Cheers

Glen

Awesome! Planning a trip to those parts and this write-up and pictures just moved it to the top of the list...Christmas/Newyear...

Thanks for the comments guys  :thumleft: Can`t wait till the new bike arrives, then I can start with some more serious rides and reports!  ::) 

Cheers

Glen

Thanks for sharing.

I remember those IT's used to scare the living $4it out of me going from my 50 on that monster. The 490 was just plane insane. Good to see that someone is keeping them alive.

Lekka riding area that....musta been kinda chilly though?

Nice RR and thanks for bringing back the mammaries oops memories  :ricky:

Eish Guy,
great ride report, kinda regret selling you that bike now but glad you enjoying. Make note of 5-7 feb it the Baboon Rally in Queenstown, I'm on leave..

5-7 Feb ? I should have my new bike by then, just hope I can get the time off ! If I get the time off I`m in  !  :thumleft: