One bridge too high, two bridges too low

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERINOMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
I had a call from Rocstompa (RS) for a ride on Sunday 12 June. The suggestion was to have a look at the water levels of the Loerie and Kouga dam.

On Sunday morning there was a slight change of plan when RS wanted to show me the highest narrow gauge railway bridge in the world. I never visited it yet so I was keen to go.

The day started early and I was on my way to the Engen garage at Mount Pleasant.

60001f.jpg

It was only me and RS that was going. RS filled up with fuel, but I still had half a tank left so decided not to fill up as I still got at least 260km to go before I need fuel, a decision that bit me in the back later on.

60002.jpg

And off we went.

60003.jpg

Not long after Engen we’ve hit the first dirt road.

60004t.jpg

The Eastern Cape is wet after the rains and I knew that it’s going to get interesting somehow.

60006.jpg

RS splashing through water.

60007.jpg

There was absolute no mercy for me, but learned that when riding with RS, expect the unexpected. I still wanted to go slowly through all the mud pools as we had no idea how deep it was, but NNNOOO we had to tackle it full blast. I had no choice but to follow in pursuit as I knew that if I don’t keep up, I’ll be left behind.

Video Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25xoghYZyUI

I had to concentrate here as not all of it was mud.

60009.jpg

The entrance to the narrow gauge bridge.

600010.jpg

RS showing me about five baboons on the bridge on the other side.

600011.jpg

View of the bridge with RS’s Katoomer on the right.

600012g.jpg

Some pic’s of the bridge.

600013.jpg

600014.jpg

600015.jpg

600016.jpg

600017.jpg

600018.jpg

That was awesome. We were thinking of crossing the bridge but decided against it. It’s time to leave.

600019.jpg

Here’s a little video clip of us going back to the main gravel road. I had some anxious moments, most of it in my mind.

Video Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KFj2T1mlYQ

Onto the Highway toward Patensie. We just had the morning available so we had to hurry it a bit.

600020.jpg

Just before Loerie, RS took us on a little sightseeing.

600021.jpg

We stopped at this gate to watch some game. There were Kudu, Eland and Impala.

600022.jpg

….. and it was time to leave….. the difference between the well behaved BMW and the unruly KTM were clearly visible.

BMW getting into the road again.

Video Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hifWB-3CU1g

KTM getting into the road again.

Video Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYkNYyaZ-T0

And off we went to the Loerie dam.

600023.jpg

The turnoff to loerie dam.

600024.jpg

The Loerie was 100% full and the water was overflowing the dam on the left.

600026.jpg

600028.jpg

600029.jpg

From here it was off to the Kouga dam. I’ve never been there so this was my first. On our way there we could see the devastation the flood water did to the river bank.

600031.jpg

600032.jpg

This is actually tar road.

600033.jpg

The Kouga dam turnoff looked dry and we wondered what was waiting for us at the dam.

600034.jpg

I was wondering what all the 4x4’s were doing here?

600035.jpg

It was awesome to see the Groot rivier at this level. Two weeks back we pushed our bikes through the Groot rivier at the GRP. Today, after what we see in front of us, there’s no chance we even going to attempt crossing it.

600036.jpg

One of the guys asking RS if there’s other entances to Kouga dam.

600037.jpg

A brand new 4t truck, laying bottoms up next to the low bridge after it was washed off the bridge. You can actually see the four wheels sticking out of the water

600038.jpg

Devastation

600039.jpg

The “mud line” is a good indication of how far the Groot rivier pushed up.

600040.jpg

A last pic before we abandon our Kouga dam trip.

600041.jpg

There was another change of plan and we decided to go into the Baviaans and have a look at the Groot rivier crossing about 7.5km after the Komdomo campsite. On our way there, there was more evidence of flood water that flowed through here.

600042.jpg

600043.jpg

600044.jpg

Passing Komdomo Camp

600045.jpg

More flood evidence

600047.jpg

600048.jpg

600054.jpg

A fallen tree in the road

600049.jpg

Still beautiful

600050.jpg

600053.jpg

Some snotty sections

600052.jpg

Another fallen tree

600055.jpg

The Poortjie Campsites were flooded.

600056.jpg

600057.jpg

600058.jpg

This part of the road was flooded, meaning the the Groot rivier at this crossing was at least 400m wide.

600059.jpg

The GR in flood. If we assume that the water was flowing at least 700mm over the bridge, the width of the bridge is 3m and 70m wide, while the water flowed at approx 1m/s, we can safely say that the water flowed over the bridge at least at a rate of 49m³/s.
Just a bit of useless information.

600060.jpg

600061.jpg

600063.jpg

600064.jpg

RS’s reaction after I asked if we’re going to attempt to go through.

600062.jpg

On our way back we’ve stopped at one of the Poortjie camp sites before exiting the Baviaans area.

600065.jpg

Some pic’s of our exit.

600066.jpg

600067.jpg

600068.jpg

600069.jpg

We wanted to have a breakfast at Padlangs but it was chock‘nblock.

600070.jpg

Tolbos was the next best thing and we finished this ride with a breakfast at Tolbos in Patensie.

600071.jpg

So the time ran out and we had to hurry up to be at home in time. We were about 50km from PE when I saw a flashing alarm on my display panel. I’m running out of fuel. According to the computer I had about 40km of reserve left, and indicated to RS that I’m running out of fuel.

600072.jpg

I’m sure he had a chuckle in his helmet. We pulled over and RS explained that there is a garage about 50km away and if I’m not making it, at least he will know where I am if I was late for work the next day.

600073.jpg

And to rub it in he popped a wheelie as we pulled away.

600074.jpg

I chucked my left shoulder behind the windshield to minimise drag.

600076.jpg

This was probably the best sight I’ve seen this whole trip.

600078.jpg

Not knowing how much fuel I still had left I’ve decided to fill the tank and deduct the amount from 32L , knowing that the GSA has a 32L tank.

600079.jpg

Well I was not sure how to interpret this but one thing was for sure, there was not much fuel left when I pulled into this garage. I also learned that if the opportunity presents itself, fill up. It may just ruin a ride if your calculations don’t add up at the end of the day.

600081.jpg

It was a fruitful morning and the ride was full of surprises and very enjoyable. The highlight for me was the narrow gauge bridge over the van Stadens Gorge.

Also wanted to go and view the dam.  In a cage however. Then also took al little bit of the road to baviaans. All the time while sitting in the cage I was thinking how nice it would have been to do the trip on a scoot.

Would love to join you guys on a ride like that next time when I have gotten my bike. Although - I suspect I will be left behind. I am not the world's fastest biker and by the sound of it you guys were twisting the grips.

Great report. Thanks for the pics.

jupiter said:
Thanks. You do write a nice report.

Thanks Jupiter, maybe sometime we must have a ride together. I was thinking of PM you for this one but thought it was short notice since Louis ‘s ride only rained out the Thursday.

chicco said:
Nice report :drif:

So, wanneer kom jy en daai gestreepte Kwagga pel van jou af?? :mwink:

Hando said:
Also wanted to go and view the dam.  In a cage however. Then also took al little bit of the road to baviaans. All the time while sitting in the cage I was thinking how nice it would have been to do the trip on a scoot.

Would love to join you guys on a ride like that next time when I have gotten my bike. Although - I suspect I will be left behind. I am not the world's fastest biker and by the sound of it you guys were twisting the grips.

Great report. Thanks for the pics.

Hey Hando,

You are more than welcome to join us when you’re ready. No, we were not twisting any grips, just some sections where RS went full throttle where I had to respond, but most of the ride were at normal pace. :thumleft:

Thank you J-mo

We do need to define 'normal pace'.

But let me first get the bike. I am really itching. Wish I could get it down here. But I guess beggars can't be choosers. I f I want to do it on a low budget then I will have to be patient.

J-mo, I was sitting at home and ended up doing a nice road trip to Storms.

And I can do short notice. :ricky: Next time ?

Nice one thanks  :thumleft:

The stills from the helmet cam is pretty good - which one are you using?

jupiter said:
J-mo, I was sitting at home and ended up doing a nice road trip to Storms.

And I can do short notice. :ricky: Next time ?

For sure. :thumleft:

Marnus said:
Nice one thanks  :thumleft:

The stills from the helmet cam is pretty good - which one are you using?

Hey Marnus,

I'm using the Drift HD170. You can get it from Warrick at www.actioncameras.co.za if you're interested. :thumleft:

>>Thump°C said:
Nice Oom,
My son went kayaking with 214 on the Saturday from B/kraal to komdomo.
Was flippen awesome

Wies jou Oom!!!  :eek7:    :imaposer:
Especially now with the higher levels it would be fun.  :thumleft:

Seems this was a big rain.
Around Riversdale up to 400mm.
Everywhere you look its green. :thumleft:

Latest posts