Only Mad Dogs and Turks....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groenie

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
I haven't been on any sort of trip since the Roof in November and when MM gave me a 2 day pass over the weekend I had to take it. Seeing my regular riding buddy is having some trouble BURPing his new baby, I phoned a few friends and on very short notice we had a plan.

We left a bit late on Friday morning and hit the first dirt just outside Erasmia. Grim, Maya and GSJeri posing for a pic

DSCN1173sm.jpg

We filled up at the Wimpy just past Harties and set off on the canal route I stole from one of Gunda's trips. First beer stop was at Fung's shop.

DSCN1175sm.jpg

One very happy dog with his pride and joy

DSCN1177sm.jpg

With the recent few drops of rain, the canal roads were in great condition, very little dust, very little sand and very little mud. We made good time and some saw 100km/h on certain sections. The canal road must be one of the best training areas for newbies as it offers just about everything from slowish to fast sections and includes some great scenery. High up on my list of favourites.

DSCN1179sm.jpg

We eventually stopped at Beestekraal for a burger and a beer.

DSCN1180sm.jpg

This is where we found out about the Widsfees at Thabazimbi and because of the late start, had to hit the ultra boring tar from there. I hate tar....... My bike is not set up for it, but GSJeri loved the chance to twist the ear on his big GS. We arrived at the camping site and set up tents. Everybody clubbed in and the big GS was sent off to go get meat.

Note to self: Always take this man with when going on a trip. He knows about buying meat....

And he didn't disappoint when arriving with some fillet for the braai. We had a great meal and lots of liquid refreshments. I've had blow-up matress for years now, but never took it with on a trip. Very glad I had some space left in the bags on this trip. It sure as hell beats sleeping on the grass.

After a night plagued by the crop of 4x4 dudes that shared the campsite with us......

DSCN1182sm.jpg

....we awoke to rain. A quick coffee and we were on our way.

DSCN1186sm.jpg

Just out side Thabazimbi the real rain started, but we fit into the category of Mad Dogs, so on we went. Rankins pass was our aim and a few drops won't stop us.

I've always wanted to do the pass and wasn't disappointed. Pity about the rains though, as it made for some tricky riding in slippery conditions.

DSCN1187sm.jpg

DSCN1189sm.jpg

DSCN1188sm.jpg

The road straightened a bit and we could twist the ears a bit and when the rain eventually stopped, so did we for a quick break.

DSCN1190sm.jpg

DSCN1193sm.jpg

Who needs a clean GS? This looks a lot better.

DSCN1192sm.jpg

During the night, my fellow travellers felt sorry for my feeble attempts at building a new fairing and decided to help out with some mods on my bike. Creativity flowed strong in their veins and they came up with this wonderful, pooratech solution.

DSCN1194sm.jpg

The rain made travelling a pleasure and even the sandy patches was a pleasure, although some in the group might have different opinions.. We found a few mud holes and some just had to show off

With Warmbad now called BelaBela or something like that, I see the "warm" has now moved and become "lou". I suppose everything cools off eventually.....

DSCN1197sm.jpg

And just look what a bad influence the "respected members" of the forum has on the innocent.........

Maya giving the Plottie-salute

DSCN1199sm.jpg

From there the roads opened up as our route took us past Mabula lodge and all the game farms

DSCN1201sm.jpg

On that section I took revenge on the big BM and had a jol on the high speed sections and had enough time to finish a smoke and have a beer before they caught up again.

DSCN1202sm.jpg

That's the last pic I took, although the fun wasn't over yet.

A bit later on , Maya had a puncture, and we were almost done with the dirt. I'm sure the others will fill in the gaps with pics of their own.

We eventually stopped in Pta North for a bite to eat and said our good byes. 2 great days of riding with friends can't be beat!

Sorry I couldn,t join you boys..

Would love to know who the chapette was on the trip  :laughing4:

Thanks again Groenie. Was an exelent trip!!! Will do it again. Just have to get over those sand monsters

roxenz said:
Great ride, G!  See you chaps and chapette got good & dirty!

So who would that "chapette" be ?

Nice ride guys!!!

It looks real beautiful there, I have to go and do those two passes there !!!

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

jisssie groenie,,,,jammer ek was nie saam nie,,,,ek was laas jaar by die wildsfees

nice rr,,,kanni die pics sien by die werk maar sak vanaand kyk by die huis,,,

ek was die naweek by vivo/dendron oppi aartappel plase,,,

hulle is besig om te plant en op n tyd as die plante knolle maak kan ons gaan help,,,

gedurende die dag moet die vlakvarke verjaag word deur met die bikes om die ronde sirkels aartappel lande te verjaag,,,

en snags is dit die ystervarke se beurt,,,

dit sal moerse fun wees en die boere sal dit waardeer,,,

verbeel jou om soos speedway oval racing all om die aartappels te jaag onder die varke,,,wooo hooo

Malgat, ek's IN!!! Klink na moerse fun.

Nice RR :thumleft:

Now why didnt we think of that fairing mod Dee... ?? :biggrin: ;)

Groenie said:
I haven't been on any sort of trip since the Roof in November and when MM gave me a 2 day pass over the weekend I had to take it.

Mighty Men ??? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Lekker wet trippie, but you're going to have to make that screen of yours a bit prettier :lamer:

rain + goggles + yamaha people riding in front of you, is an excitingly dangerous no no ! thanks for the ride and the elp on my me flattie  ;D

I&horse said:
Groenie said:
I haven't been on any sort of trip since the Roof in November and when MM gave me a 2 day pass over the weekend I had to take it.

Mighty Men ??? :biggrin: :biggrin:

Lekker wet trippie, but you're going to have to make that screen of yours a bit prettier :lamer:

MM=Mina Moo=His Wife

Latest posts