Out of darkness and into the light.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solicitor

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
To say that Iâ??m a fan of the forum is a huge understatement.  Iâ??ve been lurking in the shadows for the past year and a half, logging on each day, reading, laughing and learning as I went along. 

I matriculated in PE in 1986 and regard myself privileged to have been a teenager during the 80â??s.  I remember sitting near the school gate in Std 7 watching the privileged few come to school on their 50â??s.  I use to sit there and dream of one day having a 50 of my own.  I learned to ride on my friend's brother's Honda Mt 50.  It was such a sweet bike.  We use to bunk school at least one Friday a month (untill we were caught) and ride all the way from Mount Pleasant along horse trails to Sardinia Bay where we would spend the day fishing and snorkelling.  This was my first introduction to dirt riding.  After many months of nagging, my parents eventually bought me a shining red Honda Mb 50 roadbike.  Yes I know, compared to the Yamaha RZ, the Suzuki Gama and the Honda MBX my bike was not much, but to me it was everything.  No atgatt those days, just a helmet on the head.  I sold my bike in my Matrik year and that was the end of biking for me untill a few months ago.

Those who rode 50's in the 80's probably make up a large part of the forum.  The desire to ride a bike stays with you doesn't it...and eventually get's the better of you.  I've been friends with Red Adventure for several years now and had to watch him and his friends Werner and Johan Gps go on nice outrides on weekends.  I was longing for a bike but never thought I'd be able to convince my wife that this was a good investment to spend our hard earned money on.  When my wife Debbie and I eventually had the discussion she said I could get a bike on one condition, she wanted one too.  Well, what can I say, that logic worked for me.....hence 2 matching Dakar's.  Oh, did I mention my wife had never ridden a bike before in her life.  Well, one lesson with Billy De Beer sorted that problem out. 

My wife and I feature in Trailriders last ride report.  There is a photo of us sitting on our 2 matching Dakar's with big smiles on our faces in Uniondale.  We did a 6 day bike trip, our first, with a route designed by Red Adventure.  It took us from Cape Town via Ceres and lots of Karoo gravel to Maatjiesfontein and on to Laingsburg.  From Laingsburg via 7 weeks poort to Calitzdorp, from there over the Swartberg pass and over into Prins Alfred.  From there we travelled via Meiringspoort to Uniondale (where we met Trailrider, Eisbein and friends).  As we rode past I immediatelly recognised Trailrider from photo's I had seen of him on the forum.  You can't mistake the bike or the jacket.  I studied his ride reports on all the mountain passes in the area.  His reports are exellent and he takes great photo's.  It was great to eventually meet him and some of the other dogs.  Trailrider and Eisbein gave us some more tips on the road ahead and so we set off to Knysna via Prins Alfred's pass.  From Knysna we followed the 7 passes to George, but due to Debbie suffering from fever we were unable to do the Montagu pass and headed straight for our accommadation in Hartenbos.  From there we followed farm/gravel roads heading up to Van Wyk's dorp but turned before getting there and ended up on the R62 outside Barrydale.  First we had to travel in the opposite direction to get to Ronnie's Sex Shop as we had never been there before.  Thereafter we headed for Montagu where we slept over.  Red Adventure joined us on the last day of our journey back to Cape Town on his new X-Country.  I must say, that X-Country handles itself very well around the mountain passes and on dirt. 

Lessons learned:  Firstly, a loaded Dakar is very heavy to pick up when you drop it, so don't do that to often.  Secondly, your wife with very limited riding experience CAN travel on her own bike over some of our most challenging mountain passes with flying colours...have faith in her.  (There were times when I doubted whether she would make it over some obstacles, but whenever I looked in my mirror, I would see her headlight behind me, and I would know that she made it...it made me smile in my helmet and filled my chest with pride.)  Thirdly, the Dakar is one amazing bike...you can trust it with your life.  It just climbs up and over everything you throw in it's path and inspires you with confidance beyond your abilities.  I've grown to appreciate and respect my Dakkie.  Fourthly, don't believe for one second that your accomodation is going to look anything near as nice as the pictures on the internet. 

Well, before this starts to sound more like a ride report than an introduction and before Lucky Striker re-directs it to "Ride Reports", let me end by saying this.  Travelling by bike is awsome.  Where ever you stop, people always come up and talk to you.  Heck, one guy even stopped next to us and gave us sweets.  Other bikers and even some cage drivers give a friendly wave as you pass by.  It makes you feel a part of something bigger...same as being a member of this forum makes you feel.  Thanks to all those who have shared their knowledge on the forum helping others like Debbie and myself to learn.  We appreciate it.  Looking forward to a loooooooong and happy stay.