Overnight in the Cederberg

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudgazer

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
We left CT at about 09h30 on Friday morning to go to the Cederberg.
Instead of taking the scenic route through Wellington and Bainâ??s Kloof, we decided to take the faster route through the N1 toll tunnel to Rawsonville, and go through Slanghoek valley up to Ceres. If it wasnâ??t for Jaco from Top Bikeâ??s article I wouldnâ??t have taken this route, but am glad we did.
Unfortunately as we got to the tollgate, my mate on the Africa Twin got a puncture.

We were carrying tyre repair kits, and a few cans of that goo stuff, but decided against a roadside fix, as he did not want to worry about a damaged tube for the entire trip.
So we headed back to Paarl and found Boland Bikes. Nice bunch of people there that replaced our tube for us. We purchased additional tubes for the front and rear. No point in taking a chance of getting another puncture. Itâ??s a nice thing that the Africa Twin and Dakars have the same wheel sizes.
This little setback cost us two hours.
n832165496_5018458_4220.jpg

Through the tunnel we went, turned off towards Rawsonaville (R101) and then up to Slanghoek. Iâ??ve ridden through here before and it is a pretty valley.

n832165496_5018457_3942.jpg

We had a quick lunch at Ceres, and while sitting at the Steers saw a few GSâ??s ride passed on their way to somewhere.
Our next stop was op-die-berg, where we filled up, bought food from the Spar and beers. We had one on the side of the road before finally hitting the dirt.
The Cederberg is unbelievably beautiful. Especially for someone like me whoâ??s never been there before.
n832165496_5018459_4502.jpg

n832165496_5018460_4807.jpg

n832165496_5018461_5143.jpg

n832165496_5018462_5435.jpg

n832165496_5018464_6014.jpg

We stopped at the Cederberg Oasis and had another beer (we were drinking Windhoek Light â?? responsible hey?).
It wasnâ??t too much further to KromRivier, where we spent the night.
The ride, including all stops and puncture repair took us almost eight hours. A bit long, but a lot of fun.

n832165496_5018465_6321.jpg

n832165496_5018466_6606.jpg

n832165496_5018467_6894.jpg

n832165496_5018468_7193.jpg

After breakfast, we packed up camp and continued north through the Cederberg towards Clanwilliam.
We stopped at every campsite en route, and each one got progressively nicer.
Iâ??m definitely heading back to Driehoek in the coming weeks. Itâ??s stunning.

n832165496_5018469_7507.jpg

n832165496_5018470_7794.jpg

Can't talk. Mouth Full.
n832165496_5018471_8104.jpg

Coming over Uitkyk pass is probably the most majestic sights Iâ??ve ever seen. The view from up there took my breath away. I found going down pretty dangerous, cause all I wanted to do was admire the view and not concentrate on the road.
Instead of going all the way up to Clanwilliam, we turned off in the direction of Citrusdal at Algeria.
The roads in the Cederberg are very good, the only soft sand and rocky roads we experienced are on the smaller roads leading to the different campsites.

n832165496_5018472_8426.jpg

n832165496_5018473_8750.jpg

n832165496_5018474_9080.jpg

From Citrusdal it was tar all the way back to CT, we stopped at the top of the Pieknierskloof pass for lunch. I canâ??t remember the name of the farm stall but it had incredible views of the Swart land beyond.
The last 175 kms to CT was hell and hard work. The wind was howling , and it was a struggle keeping the bikes upright.
Despite this little hardship it was a fantastic ride overall.
Weâ??re gonna head back in a few weeks to discover the road to Wupperthal.

Cedarberg is awsome, when you have more time, hike to "Wolfbergskeure" gorge in ingels I think, makes one feel very small and insignificant. Cool RR 8) ;D

Nice RR

I have never been to the Cederberg. Hope to remedy that soon!

cloudgazer said:

I have never followed the rout over Algeria but I can promise you the road from Matjies Rivier over Eselbank to Wupperthal is spectacular. We were there two weeks ago and you can follow my thread - https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=25271.0

Dustdevil said:
cloudgazer said:

I have never followed the rout over Algeria but I can promise you the road from Matjies Rivier over Eselbank to Wupperthal is spectacular. We were there two weeks ago and you can follow my thread - https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=25271.0

I read your report. Awesome. Sorry I didn't comment.
But yes, we wanna check out the road from Matjies to Wupperthal, next time we;re there.
We're thinking of doing it as an outride. A huge loop starting and ending at Driehoek.

Awesome man!

decided just now to test my new tent, new sleeping bags and "old' girlfriend and go up there for the weekend.

Thanks for the inspiration :thumleft:

fourtyfour said:
Awesome man!

decided just now to test my new tent, new sleeping bags and "old' girlfriend and go up there for the weekend.

Well i can definitely recommend KromRivier, Sanddrif and Drieheok campsites - they're all great.

Jislaaik but it is nice out there and lovely roads to ride!! :) nice report and pics :thumleft:

I agree tha the road between Matjies and Wuppertal is awesome and truly enjoyed camping at Driehoek....(if you get there early enough for one of the well shaded sites ;) Nice RR

Kosie said:
Baie nice pics. In daai pannetjie lyk dit soos regte cowboy kos

Ja, 18 eggs for 3 people.
;D

Beans to give us additional gas!

cloudgazer said:
fourtyfour said:
Awesome man!

Well i can definitely recommend KromRivier, Sanddrif and Drieheok campsites - they're all great.

How's the road that leads to the driehoek campsite? Sandy and if yes walking distance for my lady? The forecast reads 40 degrees up there for the weekend and this little pool would be the right thing to jump in!

fourtyfour said:
cloudgazer said:
fourtyfour said:
Awesome man!

How's the road that leads to the driehoek campsite? Sandy and if yes walking distance for my lady? The forecast reads 40 degrees up there for the weekend and this little pool would be the right thing to jump in!

The road is short, and slightly more technical than the main road through Ceres, but by no means difficult.

There is a little sandy patch about 100m from the main road - but its probably less than 10 metres long, and no very deep.

I got a skrik going to the camp site (was worried about dropping my bike on the plastic panniers) so waddled through, but rode out very easily.

I seriously dig the pannier boxes on that Dakar of yours ...

I'm sure they got lots of stories to tell - does the red stripe make them faster ?

Great writing and even better pics - I absolutely love the 'berg and go there as often as possible

Cedarberg Oasis is my favourite lunch stop / afternoon beer stop / dinner venue / nightclub / sleepover / sore head - always just gonna stop for 5 minutes and then Gerrit spots me and we're fucked for hours ... I envy him living in that "hellhole"

Powerflow Justin said:
I seriously dig the pannier boxes on that Dakar of yours ...

I'm sure they got lots of stories to tell - does the red stripe make them faster ?

Great writing and even better pics - I absolutely love the 'berg and go there as often as possible

Cedarberg Oasis is my favourite lunch stop / afternoon beer stop / dinner venue / nightclub / sleepover / sore head - always just gonna stop for 5 minutes and then Gerrit spots me and we're fucked for hours ... I envy him living in that "hellhole"

I bought the panniers with all the dings and scratches and red stripes from PowerflowJustin.
Apparently he had on off with them in Lesotho.
This was the first trip I've used em - and don't think I'll be doing it again.
Made me too nervous - If i dropped the bike I think I could kiss those panniers goodbye.

Re Cederberg Oasis, yeah Gerrit can talk the ears off a donkey. Nice guy though.

EDIT: LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I just realized the post I replied to was Justin. hahahahaha.
The panniers have been great. So friggin useful.

I know a lot of people will say bad things about the vario panniers but if you buy second hand and pay a reasonable price then you are doing well - i don't think any bmw genuine aftermarket accessory for sale new is worth the inflated price the dealer charges.

I fell over quite hard many times, especially in lesotho, with those panniers and never broke them - the previous owner to me also fell over and they did not break

May they serve you long and hard and if you decide to sell them charge more than what you paid - just for the stories they have to tell and the places they have seen

Powerflow Justin said:
I know a lot of people will say bad things about the vario panniers but if you buy second hand and pay a reasonable price then you are doing well - i don't think any bmw genuine aftermarket accessory for sale new is worth the inflated price the dealer charges.

I fell over quite hard many times, especially in lesotho, with those panniers and never broke them - the previous owner to me also fell over and they did not break

May they serve you long and hard and if you decide to sell them charge more than what you paid - just for the stories they have to tell and the places they have seen

Aah, its good to know they can take a bit of a beating.

i was really worried about the strength.

Cool, then they will be coming with me again on my next trip to the Cederberg in a few weeks.