Penta ride report.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goby

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Experiencing the difference the Yoshimura Tri-Oval canister made to my GSX-R750, I decided to get my KLR08 an aftermarket pipe. The Wild Dogs Forum suggested only one, and I contacted Penta Performance.
The service provided was excellent and all information was complete. I got the exhaust via parcel post, properly wrapped and including the spark arrestor. It took me 30 minutes to bolt onto the bike, using no special tools, and the general fit and finish was excellent. Priced at R1750-00 including the spark arrestor and postage, I was a happy customer. Until I started it!!! Man, was it loud!! My neighbor came running out of his unit and shouted, â??What the hell are you doing?â?. I explained, but he was not amused. I decided to keep the exhaust like that for a week, but it was really too noisy for my taste. I immediately felt a difference in the throttle response, and my pillion also commented on the increase in torque through the gears. No Dyno figures here, just butt feeling!. I felt a serious loss of mid-range torque! Accelerating in top gear from 110km/h was non-existing. Basically a change in volume, followed by a crawl to 120km/h. I fitted the spark arrestor a week later, just as easy, and without any special tools, accept adding Loctite to the end cap bolts.
Boy, what a difference. The KLR still sounded angry, but the neighbor did not even look out his window. And the best thing, the mid-range torque was back!!
I have done more than 1000km now with the Penta on, and I am extremely happy with it. The bike sounds angry, the pipe does not vibrate or melt any plastic parts, and I can already see an improved fuel consumption. I have not done a proper test yet, but I would say an increase of 1 to 2 km/liter lighter on fuel. When I had the end cover off to fit the spark arrestor, I saw that the pipe was made extremely well, and all surfaces showed quality engineering. Everything fitted properly as well.
That is my experience from this fitment. I didnâ??t change any jets or idling and my bike is running perfectly. I can definitely recommend the Penta exhaust to any KLR owner.

Attachments

• Penta zorst.JPG
    Penta zorst.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 170