Pinging Pig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayhem

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Hi Guy's , a mate of mine has a 2000 1150 GS with around 90k on the clock. The bike has beer running well but has recently started pinging. No adjustments have been done and no modifications.
Here are his symptoms:

The big bike has developed a tendency to “ping”, audible on both cylinders, under normal to hard acceleration.

It really pulls like a steam train. Throughout the rev range. There is no loss of power or surging typically associated with incorrect valve clearances, bad fuel or bad timing. Although I believe bad timing will result in a bike that either runs or not at all.

The pinging happens in any gear, wether at cold or normal operating temperatures.

Examples:

1)      Accelerating out of a corner, like a traffic circle, in second gear it will ping (sharp, dainty, metal-like noises.(“dainty” just doesn’t sound right with this bike!!)) from 2000rpm upwards, disappearing as the revs increase. This is expected.

2)      Accelerating in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear to overtake lethargic traffic. 3000rpm upwards.

3)      Accelerating in 4th gear from 3000rpm, I held the throttle open and the pinging continued until 7000rpm.

4)      It will also ping from pullaway in 1st gear.

I use BP Unleaded, the sparkplugs (BMW spec NGK’s) were changed at 80 000km service. All other “electronics”(plugleads, Hall sensor etc.) are standard, not been tampered with and working properly.

Any suggestions?