Please help - XT660R query

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KM

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT660
Hi Guys

I've had my XT660R for about 8 months now and am experiencing an annoying high revving engine at the start of my rides. No Yamaha dealers in Grahamstown so I thought I'd ask for advice on the forum. When the bike is first started it idles normally but after travelling anything between 30 and 200 meters, the motor starts to run at high revs. The motor even revs high between gear changes. It's particularly annoying when stopping at intersections as it sounds like the motor is just running away. Sounds like a stuck choke (but apparently the bike doesn't have one?). This carries on for about 3 kilometers (I guess until the bike is warm) and then it goes back to normal.

Is there something I can do about this. The bike came from Gauteng and I'm in the Eastern cape so does it perhaps have something to do with the fuel settings? What should it be set at? Maybe the colder days are contributing to it?

Cheers