Pomping in Parys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
What's up with the title you ask? Patience my son...........all will be revealed ;D

Met up this morning with Franswes (KTM 990), Doringboom (Tiger 955) and Terrrier (XT660) at the Sasol Pinehaven for the start of a ride to Parys.

The place was swarming with bikers going on the blanket run .........not a bad idea to carry some blankets considering today's temperatures (-2 to 12C in Parys).

Shortly after commencing with the ride next to the river we stopped for a coke and was standing around talking k@rk and kicking tyres outside the shop at Venterskroon when Terrier noticed a nail stuck in his rear tyre. After some deliberation it was decided that it was clearly having no effect as the tyre was not losing pressure and that we should press on.

Sod's law of course meant that only a few hundred meters down the road the nail tore the tube bringing the XT to an abrupt halt. Notice Franwest's clever way of using the rear wheel axle and the side stand to lift the rear of the ground.

Between us the necessary tools were assembled for the job at hand. Franwest donated the tyre levers, Doringboom the pump and I pitched in with a spare tube and some sunlight liquid.

In no time the tyre was off, the offending nail removed, the new tube fitted.

Then the pomping started  :3some: and soon we were up to 2.6 bar  >:D, finished fitting the tyre and was ready to roll.

The rest of the trip went without a hitch. Fair to say that everyone enjoyed the nice gravel roads and the beautiful scenery. The small group meant that we could ride at a brisk pace without dust being a major roblem. A nice lunch at the Spur in Parys finished off a great ride.

Did about 540km for the day in total and was well satisfied with a lovely day's riding. Thanks to the guys for joining me and making the trip so much fun.

Some photo's -

1. Doringboom, Franswest and Terrier (vltr); 
2. Terrier and Franswest tackling the tyre
3. XT impromptu centrestand;
4. A close up;
5. Terrier pomping away

Attachments

• Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    136.3 KB
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    167.7 KB
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    157.4 KB
  • Image00007.jpg
    Image00007.jpg
    207.1 KB
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    142.3 KB
quote author=CAPTAIN SLOW link=topic=19932.msg328309#msg328309 date=1215367482]
Ummmm wrong photos
[/quote]

WTF!!! I will try again

F@rkin computer ???. OK, here is the rest -

2. Terrier and Franswest tackling the tyre
3. XT impromptu centrestand;
4. A close up;
5. Terrier pomping away

Attachments

• Image00007.jpg
    Image00007.jpg
    174.6 KB
  • Image00005.jpg
    Image00005.jpg
    107 KB
  • Image00004.jpg
    Image00004.jpg
    213.9 KB
  • Image00003.jpg
    Image00003.jpg
    201 KB
hehe - that could have been embarrassing..... :laughing4:

A few more -

1. Yamaha quality tools;
2. Two seriously beautiful bikes on the bridge;
3. Terrier;
4. The Funduro is currently out of action  ;D The transalp has to do :p 

Attachments

• Image00008.jpg
    Image00008.jpg
    132.4 KB
  • Image00009.jpg
    Image00009.jpg
    160.1 KB
  • Image00010.jpg
    Image00010.jpg
    105 KB
  • Image00011.jpg
    Image00011.jpg
    191 KB
Thanks gentlemen! It was indeed a day well spent. Although dry and dusty, the Vredefort Dome's hilly terrain, with the Vaal River meandering trough it, is always a nice day-ride destination away from the "Big Smoke". Herewith some more pictures of the day's proceedings:

Meeting at Pinehaven Sasol. From left to right: Franswest, Kykdaar and Terrier. The free coffee at the Sasol Delight Shop was a welcome treat!

Parys1.jpg

Disaster 30km out of Parys >:D

Parys2.jpg

Terrier, who is used to much bigger wheels in his line of business, has no problem in showing a bike tyre who is boss!

Parys3.jpg

Die Bliksem!The root of the day's evil.

Parys4.jpg

The new tube gets fitted. Although one inch too big, it did its job perfectly :thumleft:

Parys5.jpg

Somewhere out there. From left to right: Franswest, Kykdaar and Terrier :ricky:

Parys6.jpg

Cooldrinks at a garage with pumps dating from the days when petrol was still priced in CENTS per liter.

Parys7.jpg

Another roadside session of the Motorcycle Nuts-and-Bolts Discussion Panel.

Parys8.jpg

Enjoying a late lunch at the Spur in Parys: From left to right: Terrier, Kykdaar, Franswest and myself, Doringboom (I do look better from time to time :xxbah:)

Parys9.jpg

Thank's Kykdaar dit was a baie, baie lekker rit!!!! :ricky: Aan Terrier en doringboom, lekker om saam met julle tery. 
Sorry no pics from my side, I have a history with cameras......

Something i realised again this weekend is the importance of tyre repair tools on your bike when on a ride!!!!! There is lotsa nice ideas on the site so i am not gonna post a list.

This route  might seem long to some but it is worth it!!! The cenery is great and the roads all good gravel with some sandy patches. ;D

Nice one Kykdaar ;)

Like the New Trans-Alp :thumleft:

Many happy kilometers on her.

Rimprotectors might be a good addition to a repair kit

Anyone know who stock them?

Attachments

• pg4602079.jpg
    pg4602079.jpg
    26.3 KB
  • pg4602079.jpg
    pg4602079.jpg
    26.3 KB
Something nice to have for bikes without a centre stand is a KWIKSTAND availble from Adventure MX

Attachments

• kwik stand.jpg
    kwik stand.jpg
    51.2 KB
  • kwik s.jpg
    kwik s.jpg
    81.1 KB
Thanks Franswest, I am going to get one of those stands for sure.

Anyone know who stocks rim protectors? We tried to protect Terrier's rims with some a piece of rubber mat, but that did not work to well as it got pinched and torn. The result was a few small nicks on the rim.

The Transalp has black rims and I think that I must get some rim protectors pronto before I stuff it up.

ek se mos,,,n pomp is n pomp ek se ou pel

maak nie saak waar of met wie????

nice trip,,,nice pics

maar ja,,,punctures, dit gebeur met die beste van bikers???