Question for the more experienced riders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houbie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi all.
I have a question for the more experienced rider( at least more than me :D).

On Fryday I was riding back from work. I had no luggage so thought I'll take the more scenic route from work to my home. I ended up riding I service road next to some train tracks. The service was very hard gravel with lose sand patches here and there and one can see far in front of you, so I was doing about 60-85kph. As I was going along there was a big puddle in the road. The puddle was about 2m broader then the road on both sides and about 10m in length. I slowed down to a complete halt to examine the puddle first before trying to enter it. I stopped about 2.5m in front of the puddle and already the gravel turned into a thick mud. Seeing that the puddle exceeded the with of the road and I could not go around it and being a novice offroader I decided to shamefully turn around and find a different route.

So my question is as follow. Does one try to avoid going straight through and if one does, how must your approach be ???