Radio mast ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIRT SKUNK

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
After meeting up with Chris at home around 10:00, we decided on doing a shorter ride than the Great Fish light house 12 hour stint, so chose the Elands river road to the Radio mast at Mount Ingwe.
Took the Tarmac via Lake Farm and St Albans to the Elands river turn off, here I took the lead as I’ve done part of this ride before. This is not a tricky ride with the gravel road is in reasonable shape, but it will jump up and bite you if you’re too complacent.
We stopped at the Sand river dam for a drink and to stretch our legs, while taking in the pastoral scenery, the cyclists we pasted a while back came thundering past, being a bit of a downhill;

We smiled and waved, knowing we’d pass them again, busting their guts peddling up the other side. We passed them not much further on, peddling like crazy, all red and puffy, gave them, lots of room and I smiled and waved once more as I powered the 650 twin on and up, yip sad to say they ate dust.

I cannot see the sense in peddling something?, when it’s much simpler and easier if you have a dirty great motor between the wheels doing the “Peddling “ for you, but to each their own.
I have in the past had one of these crazy torture devices? but after pulling a Hammie? I saw this as Gods way of saying “GET A DUAL SPORT” so I converted from peddle power to 650cc V twin power
And he was right!! No more hamstring problems!

We climbed stopping at the top of the climb and discuss whether to turn around or carry on, as by this time, both of us were in unknown territory not knowing how far there was still to go to reach the Radio mast? And still be able to get back for more dual sport juice? But that decision was trivial as we looked back down the verdant Elands river valley? Truly a picture postcard, and a sight only the few who venture along this dirt road have the privilege of seeing.

Minds made up we pressed on the gravel now became a little more rutted and if it was not dry that day? looked like it would have been really muddy, and not more than 5km further on we topped out at  Mount Ingwe and the Radio mast.
From here we looked down into the Gamtoos river valley and Patensie in the distance and over our shoulder the Cockscomb Mountain.
Hind sight being 20/20 we could have ridden on to Patensie, but will leave that for another ride.

We turn around and headed back, once again passing the red puffing cyclist, we had “been there” and on our way back, they had not even got to where they were going yet?

Took the black top to Thornhill Hotel for a cold one and a burger, unfortunately being 14:10 there were no burgers only cold bubble salad, so we slaked our thirst.
Still hungry we took the N2 to the “3 Legged Pig”, as they definitely would be open for food and bubble salad.
Surprisingly there were only a few bikes outside the Pig and after a delicious steak and chips, washed down by a few cold draughts we headed home, another good ride under the belt.

Attachments

• Tenere.jpg
    Tenere.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Transalp.jpg
    Transalp.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 290
  • First stop Sand river dam.jpg
    First stop Sand river dam.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 290
  • Sand river dam.jpg
    Sand river dam.jpg